Would you hit the dirt and send one?

Founder

Founder Since 1999
Here it is, opening day of your Wyoming high country hunt. You didn’t do any scouting, but a buddy did and told you about a cool droptine buck he’d seen (and he's cool with you hunting it, cause he ain't interested). You have packed in and you’re now 1 hour into opening morning. Hunters are all over and if the buck goes around that ridge, someone else will drop him.
You’ve dropped to the dirt the buck is at 300 yard yards and you’ve got 10 seconds to shoot as he’s swiftly walking around the hill.

Questions are..... Would you be hunting a buck a buddy told you about?
Is he big enough?
Would you take a 300 yard shot at the swiftly walking buck?
Do you have concerns of shooting high and the bullet going over that ridge?
Whatcha’ say????

1583715753287.jpeg

Last edited:
Do I have the shooting skills to kill that buck? Yes. Would my moral compass allow me to be hunting a deer a friend scouted without them? No.

I'd love that buck, but 300 yards "swiftly walking"? No, outside my scope of competence. I'll have to go see it on the ground after the guy around the ridge drops it.

I would be hunting somewhere else. Unless my buddy told me to go in there and kill it because he can’t make the opener or is hunting a bigger one... Definitely big enough and would take the shot if i feel like I got a solid rest.

Did my buddy tell me to go hunt that buck? If so, I'm good to go.

If not, I'd be somewhere else too since I don't like to "steal" someone else's thunder. Not my style.

The shot isn't far but the "swiftly" walking with only 10 seconds has me wondering if I'd have time to drop down and settle in, I'm thinking I wouldn't have quite enough time in only a few seconds...... but I'd have to be there to see.

Zeke

ABSOLUTELY your buddy said go hunt the buck. It's a given that you shouldn't go hunt a buck your buddy told you about unless he wanted you to. So yes, buddy found the buck and told you about because he didn't want to hunt it himself.
I'll edit the post above.

Congratulations! The buck is nice. As far as the shot goes, you know before you squeeze the trigger. Shoot if it feels right, pass if not. Lots of factors more than range and walking. Of course, finding it all on your own is more satisfying. But if your bud says good to go, why not?

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom