Would you harvest a elk calf

• Yes

Votes: 49 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 22 31.0%

• Total voters

Sallaberry

Very Active Member
Last year while elk hunting in late October I saw a calf that looked like it was missing part of its leg from the knee down. If my buddy had a cow tag I would have put it down. Not sure how it made it as long as it did but not out of mercy would you shoot a calf for meat?

I almost pulled the trigger on a fawn a few years ago that had half a leg hanging and was barely getting around. I didn’t, really that’s nature and it’s not my place put I really felt sorry for that thing and a bullet would have been a much less painful death then what the local coyote population I’m sure gave it. No I didn’t have a doe tag but that’s not why I didn’t shoot. Natures a hard *****. That’s just part of it

My freezer determines that. If my freezers are nearly full I will because I want tender, succulent meat not of the ordinary cut. I will hold off the trigger until I find what I want to eat. I've shot my fair share of deer and antelope yearlings too with no shame all for the same sake.

I always try to shoot calf elk. Best meat out there. Since we get 3 elk per year it is great to fill the freezer with quality meat and then trophy hunt the either sex tag. Then give away the big bull. Some people like to shoot big cows but they can be 20+ years old. Best bet other than a spike bull and you can still hunt big bulls.

I always try to shoot calf elk. Best meat out there. Since we get 3 elk per year it is great to fill the freezer with quality meat and then trophy hunt the either sex tag. Then give away the big bull. Some people like to shoot big cows but they can be 20+ years old. Best bet other than a spike bull and you can still hunt big bulls.
Spike elk are pretty dang tasty !!!

I always harvested big mature males, I always wondered why no one really cared to eat the meat, tough and chewy. The girls and my wife started bringing home yearling cows, god is that meat good. My father always like eating calves. A lot of times those wounded animals would not make good table fair.

First elk I shot was the big cow leading the group. The herd stayed around for a few hours waiting for her to tell them what to do... She was pretty tough on the teeth. Next year I shot a calf and was amazed by the tenderness. Last year shot a medium sized cow. It was pretty good but not like the calf.
I will definitely shoot a calf again. But the first one that peels away from the herd and offers a shot is most likely target for me.

If I feel like the animal is going to suffer in the condition it's in. Then I would have no problem hanging a tag on that animal.

I had an either sex muzzy tag last year and got a muzzy cow tag off the leftover list. Dusted the cow, calf ran off 40 yards waiting for mom while I reloaded. I dusted her to. Guilt free. I'd do it again with as much guilt as I felt the last time.... Best part is, if I would have passed a cow I'm pretty sure I could have killed the bull that was bugling on her tail just over the hill. Elk meat in my freezer is more important to me than an elk rack on the wall.

Todd

I voted yes but I have a “but” in my vote. The “but” is my vote is a yes on a late season calf and a no on a early season calf. Same goes with deer and Antelope for me.

In the close to 40 elk I have killed, only tough one was the 1st elk that I shot. Big dry cow that had 3 1/2 legs. Must have got hit by a truck years before. Every elk since has been great, even the big bulls.

I had an archery elk hunt that was down to the last day a few years ago. I was tailing a herd moving through the trees when I encountered a lost calf. I gave a little call and suddenly she was standing 3 yards from me. My arrow had barely left the rest by the time it was through her. It was the only time I packed an elk out in one trip solo. If she didn't taste so good my answer would be no. But it was top-notch

In the close to 40 elk I have killed, only tough one was the 1st elk that I shot. Big dry cow that had 3 1/2 legs. Must have got hit by a truck years before. Every elk since has been great, even the big bulls.
Sounds like you take care of your harvest.

I keep hearing of tough, not good tasting animals but I have yet to kill one that is bad (or had family that killed a not as good eating one).

Maybe we are lucky? Then again, I've seen how others care for their harvest........

I ate some backstrap from the little dink deer I shot in Pine Valley last year and it makes me start thinking that hunting for big antlers and not meat is the way to go. That backstrap was the best I've had.

I ate some backstrap from the little dink deer I shot in Pine Valley last year and it makes me start thinking that hunting for big antlers and not meat is the way to go. That backstrap was the best I've had.
My 2x3 small buck last year was excellent. Even the front quarters were great. Better than some backstrap I've had from people.

If you have an antlerless tag, a calf will have a smaller impact on the population than a cow would. Calves still have a year until they are bred, another several months after that until they have a calf (if they are female and if they survive their first winter) where a cow is likely nursing a calf and ready to be bred/already bred and will have two calves by the time a calf has one.
I’ve killed both and would kill either again if I had the tag. Generally, if I have an antlerless tag, I’ll take whatever gives me the best shot. Not much point in being picky!

I have no issues with taking a calf, I spent a few seasons hunting in Germany and there you were required to shoot the calf first before shooting the cow. Their reasoning was that the calf wouldn't survive the winter without the cow.

I would say, it depends on the hunter and their purpose for having the tag and the order of their priority.

If, it’s a either sex tag, your reason for hunting may be hunting for a set of antlers first, second priority is the largest amount of meat, third, the flavor and tenderness of the meat.
Then it’s:
1. Bull- older than a spike
2. Mature Cow
3. Heifer or Spike
4. Calf

If, it’s a antlerless tag, it’s a meat hunt. If all you care about is the amount of meat, it’s a cow, then a heifer, finally a calf.
1. Cow
2. Heifer
3. Calf

If it’s antlerless tag and you are more interested in the flavor and tenderness, than the amount of meat, then it’s a calf, then a heifer, finally a cow.
1. Calf
2. Heifer
3. Cow

Ethically or morally, I believe every elk is of equal value to the hunter. Personally, I don’t care for elk meat bull, cow or calf. I’ve shot plenty and now that I can afford to buy meat anytime I want to, and I have all the elk antlers I want, I don’t shoot any. I would find killing one of any sex or age unethical, even though I would eat it if I killed it. Don’t wanna eat it so I ain't gonna kill it. It’s one more y’all can hunt and eat.

2lumpy This is exactly the reason why I asked the question I have a lot of friends that do draw cow tags on the Wasatch and Manti and other units and over the last 15 plus years you would be shocked on how many calves are bulls.

Like treedagain said I have harvested over 30 elk in 25 years of hunting and I have only had one elk that was tough and nasty and he was probably only a 3 or a 4 year old bull I took him to a meat cutter and I truly believe I didn't get mine back it comes down to how you take care of the animal and how long you age it for period.

here is another thing to keep in mind for everyone shooting calves...

Elk are not impacted by drought the same way as deer, and elk populations have remained stable for several years, with an estimated 80,000 across the state. Elk adults typically won't die due to low body fat conditions the way deer do, but their pregnancy rates may be reduced, resulting in fewer new calves being born that year.

If it is possible I would hold out for something bigger but at the end of the last day I would be throwing a calf into the bed of my truck. My family eats a lot of elk meat all year I just want it to last the whole year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom