Would you shoot em on opening day?

M

mikelee

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-13 AT 08:38PM (MST)[p]Just another idiot that doesn'nt know how to post pics. Will get it together eventually.

You guys have some phenomenal bucks on your website. I remember reading a article on one of those bucks. Eastman's maybe?

Thanks for the compliment. Yes that's right! Three of those bucks and the ram were published in eastmans'. The largest one ended up being a new oregon record for typical muzzleloader! I'll stop tootin my horn now.

I'm tracking now, I remember the ram and the big Muzzy buck. I didn't connect that they were both you. Very nice! I grew up hunitng Blacktail in Oregon, but not the big Southern Or bucks, there are some giants down south. I took my first hunting trip down there last fall, and really like the country. It's completely differant than what I grew up hunitng, I wish I would have grew up down there instead of up north!

It is a little different down here and the potential for the monsters are always among us! That makes it fun hunting that everyday hunting could be the day to catch a glimpse of a world class blacktail.

Even though you didn't grow up down here the good news is that there is still lots of good hunting to be had! I am seeing more bucks this year than I have in the last few years. For example, I went out recently and saw 28 bucks in an evening. Normally its about 5 in an evening.

Half had already dropped their antlers but bucks nonetheless.

28 bucks in one evening is unheard of in my old stomping grounds. Back in the early 90's I used to scout all the time, almost daily. The most bucks I saw in an entire year was 52. The most I ever saw during a season was 7. Now days I don't even hunt there anymore, I haven't shot a true blacktail in 10 years now. There is basicly zero glassing oportunities with the lack of logging, and very few deer.

It was an unusual evening but incredible nonetheless. Sounds like you need to book a hunt. Still have some spots open.

I'm sure you will fill them without me. It seems you have it pretty well figured out down there. If I still have a deer tag I may end up in your neck of the woods come November, with my bow in hand. Have a great year.

I'm in Douglas Co and the timber co are logging away. A guy can glass for hours. These bt are different than Mike's, assuming he's hunting the Medford area. Those hybrid bt are flipping huge.

Ya, i have noticed a lot more areas are being opened back up. It is nice that they are creating some feed for the ungulates though.

The majority of my time is spent in the applegate unit, but yes agree some of those Cascade blacktails are pretty gnarly beasts. Wish their antlers would hurry up and fall off their heads. They are a couple weeks late this year!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom