Would you take the shot?

Founder

Founder Since 1999
It's opening morning in the high country of Wyoming. You've found a buck while scouting that was just a bit bigger than this one. BUT, as you're making you're way around a hillside you look to the ridge and this buck is standing there at 60 yards. You've got only 15 seconds to decide, draw and launch.
Can you do it? Would you do it? Is he big enough? Is the shot too far? Is the angle bad?
Whatcha' gonna' do?

DSCN2616.JPG

As said, no skyline shots for me, and 45 yds is about my max anymore. But sure would be fun to see

Definitely big enough for me to shoot, but with the angle and distance, I would have to pass, hoping that I get another chance at him with a better setup.

Recipe for disaster - arrow in the neck, face, leg, or even hindquarter or guts depending on only a tiny shift in position. single lung even with a good hit, poor blood trail probably, and no pass through - and through the guts if it did.

At that range I’m more than comfortable...but he’s on alert and the grass makes it 100% no to me. If he had no idea I was there and the grass wasn’t there it’d be a tough one to pass. That’s a lethal angle still but only with perfect conditions.

Not even on the last day at the last hour.
Way too many things are just wrong here. IMHO

Zeke

Sure, I'd take the shot! Just like the Founder did! WITH A CAMERA!!!!
(That's gotta be one of the worst bowshot opportunities I've seen for all of the reasons mentioned,)

Last edited:
Maybe with a rangefinder that compensates the angle..and if the buck is not too alarmed,that’s a deadly shot

killed a buck with almost that identical shot a few years ago. i don't know about the comments of "odds of wounding" hit that buck any where in the chest and hes going down. id say odds of a clean miss are much higher then a wounding shot. each there own, i shoot my bow a lot and elk hunt solo so the majority of my bulls die to a head on shot. i think its funny how much the internet thinks thats a bad angle

It's opening morning in the high country of Wyoming. You've found a buck while scouting that was just a bit bigger than this one. BUT, as you're making you're way around a hillside you look to the ridge and this buck is standing there at 60 yards. You've got only 15 seconds to decide, draw and launch.
Can you do it? Would you do it? Is he big enough? Is the shot too far? Is the angle bad?
Whatcha' gonna' do?

View attachment 2661
Had a shot like this at 56 yds. Dropped the deer in its tracks. Would NEVER attempt that shot again.

depend on how confident you are in yourself and equipment.Look at it this way if you can thread it between the shoulders its a dead deer.I have taken many animals on a frontal.If you don't shoot you will never kill.

No shot, terrible angle and sky lined! Definitely a recipe for wounding a quality deer not to mention the safety aspect along with you are already busted. Wait for a better shot!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom