Would you take this bull?

Founder

Founder Since 1999
Here's a photo from the Photo Tours section of the website, shared by Edward Snow. What do you elk experts think this bull would score? Is he a taker in your book?

Thunder Bulls IV

Nice Bull. I would guess about a 318" range. For a high bonus point draw in Az, or Utah, I would pass, yet if had the opportunity at the end of the same hunt, I would. For a General season or Low bonus point draw, He is on the Ground.

I don’t do much elk hunting but he does look good to me.
It looks like he has some deformed antler growth going on his right side.
The only elk hunts I apply for are Nevada and Idaho controlled. If I ever draw either one of those two states again I would probably not get too excited about him.
However on an Idaho or Colorado OTC Tag I would definitely take him if I could.

Far from an expert on anything but I don’t see much in that bull when I look real hard at him. I’m gonna say he walks by me.

Yep, he's a "depends" bull. I'd say he's over 300 but not by a lot (maybe 310). Pretty bull and a fine trophy in many areas.

I wonder how many elk hunters would give this guy a pass? After all, you can't eat the antlers! ;)

Funky bull.jpeg

I got 313, so I would say 310-320 range. Shooting on most tags, but a good LE tag he walks, depending on the day though he would be pretty tempting on the last day or two.

I'd score him at 305, with somethin'
funky going on there with his right side. Looks like a gorgeous day, broadside on flat ground...he's going down.

If you’re truly looking at score, this bull will not do well in the scoring system. Actually he gets penalized drastically, as he lacks some matching typical points (right G4?) and an abnormal point on his right G3 creates some serious deductions. Personally, score isn’t a factor here for me......he’s mature and cool, IMO. Arrow on its way.

I guessed at the measurements and filled out the B&C score sheet and came up with 328.

50" main beams
40" spread
14" 1st and 2nd's
12" 3rd's
20" 4th's
12'' right 5th 9" left
1st mass at 7" next 3 at 6"

B&C has a auto math button, it came up with 328". I didn't notice if it was gross or net.

For those that think it is barely 300, which of my guesstimates are off? I am no expert for sure, just trying to learn

I guessed at the measurements and filled out the B&C score sheet and came up with 328.

50" main beams
40" spread
14" 1st and 2nd's
12" 3rd's
20" 4th's
12'' right 5th 9" left

B&C has a auto math button, it came up with 328". I didn't notice if it was gross or net.

For those that think it is barely 300, which of my guesstimates are off? I am no expert for sure, just trying to learn
Main beam , spread , 3rds and 4ths is what I notice are generous.

I did completely score him off his left side with the exception of his short 5th on his right side. Now looking closer he has something funky going on around his 3rd point on his right side. It is always tough to tell in pictures. My spread credit was a blind guess. I bet I am not off by much on the beam length. The bull in my avatar has 54" beams and my nevada bull had 47" beams. I think he falls between them.

50" main beams
40" spread
14" 1st and 2nd's
12" 3rd's
20" 4th's
12'' right 5th 9" left

I would guess he's around 300-310. I think your main beams, inside spread and mass are a little high. Other measurements, I'm right there with you.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom