Wounded Boise bear - need dogs

grizzly

Long Time Member
Call my little brother nick and leave a message 435.512.1958 or reply to this with your number and he will check it Sunday morning and call you back when he gets into town (I don't have internet so don't pm me) - we are camped above arrowrock and he shot his first bear last night. He couldn't find it and needs somebody with dogs to help him find it on Sunday.

If you can't help but know somebody who can , please help us out and pass on the number. Thanks in advance.

With the short notice and Mothers Day, he didn't get a response. I ended up going and helping with 4 other people and we covered that whole mountain on hands-and-knees.

We spent all day yesterday and didn't find any sign at all. After talking with them about the shot and replaying the whole event, I think he missed. (It is pretty rare for a hit bear to run uphill.)

It is too bad, it was the first bear he had ever seen. I really wanted him to get one before we had to come back to work.

Grizzly

my bear ran over 150 yards up hill before he expired and there wasnt much sign at all. Actually to be honest i thought i missed til we heard the death moan

Sadly I have had a bear hit with what looks like a perfect shot even on video, run uphill quite a way. Shot is just in front of the shoulder crease half way up out of treestand at 15 yards broadside. Ran sidehill 200 yards, then straight uphill 300-400 more and bedded over night. We jumped him the next morning. After jumping him no blood after spending the night coagulating. Since have read that bears thorasic cavity is further behind the shoulder than ungulates and that most of the targets you see including the 3d targets do a poor job showing where the vitals really are on a bear.

Even if he were to have found someone with dogs to go up the next morning, chances are slim they would have made a difference locating the bear if it had travelled any distance. A 12 hour old bear track is an old track for a bear dog and if another bear happened to cross the wounded bear's track, well that's the one the dogs are going to go after. A bear dog will instinctively take the freshest track.

Bear hair also soaks up a lot of blood. Quite often a mortally wounded bear will leave little blood trail particularly if there is no exit wound. Hopefully he did miss the bear.

Years ago I stuck a good bear a bit high...above the lungs and below the spine. I tracked him in the dark that night with very little blood trail. Next morning I picked the trail back up and only went 50 more yards before finding a huge blood spot where he bedded for the night.
Long story short, he left his bed and walked up hill and I followed his trail for 6 hrs. as he smeared a high blood on all the brush as he went. I finally gave up when he crossed a mountian saddle and dropped into a canyon that I would have had to spend the night in. By that point I figured he could (might) survive based on his behavior and increasing lack of blood. 3 weeks later he was back on my bait trail cam with a hole in his side feeding away, no worse for wear.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom