Wounded from fighting or shot?

3TOE

Very Active Member
59633cb01a5f8d3d54c77a013e5c72251229e.jpeg

31198d5d067a97ec04f1c91c6285fae3d3220.jpeg

A buddy of mine sent me these pics of a buck that he let walk this past Saturday.
I was just curious to know what everyone thinks... Was this deer injured from fighting or possibly shot?
My thoughts were that the deer was shot & no-zoned. My buddy never saw his opposite side & said the deer didn't seem to be bothered by the injury. I'm thinking he should have taken the shot & harvested the buck.

Thoughts?

Don?t mean to come off too harsh but the right thing to do woulda been to put him out of his misery !!!!! No excuse if he was in range of a valid tag holder ! That doesn't look like a fight wound to me , but it's hard to say for sure.

The location says shot. Not bashing but archery?
Those seasons are generally prior to gun seasons.But theres no guarantee it wasn't a horn. Location leads me to believe he'll heal.

#livelikezac

>Don?t mean to come off too
>harsh but the right thing
>to do woulda been to
>put him out of his
>misery !!!!! No excuse if
>he was in range of
>a valid tag holder !
>That doesn't look like a
>fight wound to me ,
>but it's hard to say
>for sure.

I felt the same way when he sent me the pics. I texted back & told him that it didn't look like a wound from fight & I thought he should have taken him.

>The location says shot. Not bashing
>but archery?
>Those seasons are generally prior to
>gun seasons.But theres no guarantee
>it wasn't a horn. Location
>leads me to believe he'll
>heal.
>

Yes it was still archery season in Indiana.
He said that the deer didn't act hurt or affected at all. Just short of an infection the buck may have a chance to make it.

Like I said in another post, I would have taken a shot to put the deer down. my buddy even said that after the buck walked out of range he thought to himself ? I should have shot that deer.

I think it's a wound from a fight for two reasons. One if it was a rifle or archery wound that recent in that location I think he would have some obvious signs of being hurt. Two when you look real close at the first photo there looks to be a tear down the hide a little. His tag his choice but I would have shot the buck but I'm no trophy hunter either.

>Is it in a shotgun only
>type area?
>
>
>#livelikezac

At the time that the pictures were taken is was still archery only season.

Guys that deer was shot. The glow red in the second picture is a lighted knock on an arrow. The way that shadow is falling on the wound area there would be no visible red. The only way you could see visible red there is with artificial light. Like a lighted knock.

Never thought about that Tri. I believe you're right.

I would have put another arrow in him about 6-8 inches lower and 3 inches back! :cool:

That buck will make it no problem. They are tough. I found a broadhead in a doe's chest cavity once and had a mass covered over it and she was fine!

59633cb01a5f8d3d54c77a013e5c72251229e.jpeg

31198d5d067a97ec04f1c91c6285fae3d3220.jpeg

A buddy of mine sent me these pics of a buck that he let walk this past Saturday.
I was just curious to know what everyone thinks... Was this deer injured from fighting or possibly shot?
My thoughts were that the deer was shot & no-zoned. My buddy never saw his opposite side & said the deer didn't seem to be bothered by the injury. I'm thinking he should have taken the shot & harvested the buck.

Thoughts?
That’s a lighted knock from an arrow

It never dawned on me that it could be a lighted knock & you guys are probably right. I noticed the red glow, but just figured it was just the way light was reflecting off of the blood since the pics aren’t great. Hopefully the ol boy made it & survived.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Whitetail Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Whitetail Pros Guide Service

Southern Iowa and Missouri Private Land Whitetail Hunts. Rifle, Archery, Muzzleloader.

Antler Creek Whitetails

Archery hunt in Northeast Kansas. Rut and pre-rut, hunting from treestands and blinds.

Back
Top Bottom