WSMR Oryx hunt January 14-16, 2022

JFBNORTHERNHUNTER

Merry Christmas everyone and best wishes on the new year.

I have OIL WSMR hunt coming up and just wondering how the hunts have been this year? Also what to expect for this hunt? I’m a first time Orxys hunter but I have been watching allot on YouTube and reading different articles on hunting Orxys. My hunt is taking place on the Stallion Range. Thanks for any information your all willing to share it is greatly appreciated.

Should be a slam dunk. I would just study up on how to judge them, if that's important to you. The Bulls have Thicker, straighter, and shorter horns than the Cows. The Cows tend to be longer, less massive, and will have a curve near the top of the horns sometimes.

Should have a great time. Like a rifle Antelope hunt, If you can avoid shooting the first you see, and savor the hunt a bit, it will be worth it. Good luck, and have a great time.

Bulls can have curved tips as well. Don't use that as a guide on field judging.

For never having done this, just shoot an oryx. Best field judging tip is if you can observe one with it's head down feeding, you want to see the horn tips even or extended past their shoulder hump. This puts them at 35" plus. Also, don't use the "popular" head to horn length ratio (horns twice as long as the head).

If they are looking at you and begin swishing their tail, they are getting ready to run.

When they do run off, they will always run in a straight line unless and obstacle gets in their way.

This time of year they will be grouped up in larger herds, much the same as deer and elk will do.

Oryx do move around at night, beyond popular belief.

Shoot them like anything else, tight behind the shoulder. By tight that means 2" to 3" in from the shoulder crease toward the front leg. Don't make the mistake of trying to break the shoulder by aiming in line with their front leg.

You can either get on a high point and glass (wouldn't recommend because you aren't hunting Coues or Mule deer) or you can cover country in your truck, stopping frequently to glass from inside the bed of your truck.

Good luck!

I have personally shot several. One in NM, and multiple in Namibia…. And I have lost one that I hit as well. Shoot ON this shoulder, not behind. Their lungs do not go as far back in the rib cage like an Elk, and the guts Start a lot further forward than our North American critters.

Good luck, and congratulations on the tag. They’re also the best eating critter on 4 legs. Have a blast, and please send the report after.

We've killed several with double lung hits right behind the shoulder, so...

You do have to hit both lungs. One lung isn't enough.

I did Stallion a few years back your biggest obstacle is the rules and regs ,,,govement never saw a rule ort reg they didn't like,,, do this don't do that go there don't go there and maybe it s a three day hunt maybe a few hours better shoot today cause we are thinking there is not going to be hunting tomorrow ....I'm not exaggerating

You'd think it wouldn't have to be said, but ... Keep your eyes outside of the truck. This year a driver of a late model Toyota p/u got to buy a license after killing an oryx, and his truck. Four guys in that truck were looking at their cell phones at the same time. I'm not sure if the original tag holder found a rental car in 'Gordo.

And per @Adventurewriter, if you miss the get-off-the-base curfew or cross one of the red lines, the apache helicopters that come looking for you will have rockets.

Even with the restricted areas, there's plenty of room in a hunt area the size or Rhode Island for 80 hunters and their friends.

Per my hunt we started way late first day and then was told that likely the next day would be the only day left as they likely were not going to able to hunt the last day. It is poorly marked with little signs and roads and two tracks going off into strange places.

If the road doesn't have pylons blocking it, or the road was cut by a blade, they are usually safe to drive on. If in doubt, ask.

You will have a fun hunt----hopefully the weather will be nice. The Stallion Range is where I killed my oryx. Make sure you have a good pair of Binoculars. It helps seeing them before they see you so you can plan a stalk. Don't pick anything up on the range---not even a pop can. Lot of unexploded ordnances there-----hunters have died picking them up & them going off. After the opening morning safety talk-----sit back & enjoy the Indianapolis 500 out of the parking lot-----don't get caught up in it. There are plenty of oryx & plenty of time. I used a 300 Win Mag-----use what you use for elk hunting. We rented a motel in Socorro---just follow the tail lights to the gate in the morning. Follow the rules to the letter----if you get kicked off the base---you can't get back on.

We had the Rhodes tag in 2010. Fun hunt. They told us it was going to snow on Sunday so we better get it done first day. Shot mine 3 pm Saturday. It ran 400 yards and bedded down. I walked up to it and shot it at 20 yards right behind the shoulder. It did not even blink. I was trying not to ruin the cape, 2 more shots with the same result. Moved it forward and he was done. When they said not to touch anything I thought it would be rare to see that sort of stuff. Not true, there was tubes and pieces everywhere we went. Best game meat I have ever had.

I forgot to mention, leave the 6.5 CM at home. 300’s and 338’s are fantastic for Oryx.
Not true! I killed an off range bull last year at 690 yards with my 6.5 creedmoor. It’s about placement, and if you can hit what you’re aiming at with that round then have at it!

Not true! I killed an off range bull last year at 690 yards with my 6.5 creedmoor. It’s about placement, and if you can hit what you’re aiming at with that round then have at it!
I hear they drop elephants at 800 yards…..

It is absolutely true that a heavy 30, or 338 bullet is spectacular for larger game, IF you can place the bullet in the right place. If you’re recoil shy, then something smaller will, of course work in a pinch, but the shots that are ethically available to you are much less, and it is also very likely that the animal’s reaction to the shot, and how far it may travel can be substantially more.

One thing never discussed, is if an animal is unaware of danger when you shoot, they are much more likely to go down right away, regardless of caliber. However, if they are aware of you, and ready to flee, a large, heavy bullet has a dramatically more devastating effect.

Last edited:
^^^ not true. "We" killed an offrange after it had been running from being aware for close to 1/2 a mile. Shot was high and back more than you'd normally want. Animal went down within sight, so ran another 150 yds.

Oryx are not some mystic creature with super powers.

A 7mm mag with a 160 gr bullet is bad medicine for them.

^^^ not true. "We" killed an offrange after it had been running from being aware for close to 1/2 a mile. Shot was high and back more than you'd normally want. Animal went down within sight, so ran another 150 yds.

Oryx are not some mystic creature with super powers.

A 7mm mag with a 160 gr bullet is bad medicine for them.
OK…

I hear they drop elephants at 800 yards…..

It is absolutely true that a heavy 30, or 338 bullet is spectacular for larger game, IF you can place the bullet in the right place. If you’re recoil shy, then something smaller will, of course work in a pinch, but the shots that are ethically available to you are much less, and it is also very likely that the animal’s reaction to the shot, and how far it may travel can be substantially more.

One thing never discussed, is if an animal is unaware of danger when you shoot, they are much more likely to go down right away, regardless of caliber. However, if they are aware of you, and ready to flee, a large, heavy bullet has a dramatically more devastating effect.
All I said is that the 6.5 is sufficient for oryx. You don’t need a 300 mag or 338 to kill one. If you’re comfortable with a 6.5 or 270 then use it. Sure those bigger calibers do more damage, but to say not to use a 6.5 or similar caliber is not good advice. We have killed a lot of critters at impressive ranges with the creedmoor. That’s all I’m saying.

You have already been given great advice. The best advice I could give you is to enjoy the experience. It is easy to get stressed and pressured on a short hunt like this. Don’t rush the hunt and shoot one in the 1st hour unless you are certain it is a big one.

Oryx are tough animals to kill. You can consistently kill them with a 243 and a quality bullet but if you have a bigger gun that you shoot well, then I would bring that. NMarcher killing one at 690 yards is not a shot most guys with a 6.5 creedmoor should consider taking. Some guys are good enough to constantly make shots like that but most are not.

For a guy that is not experienced at judging oryx it is not difficult to make a mistake and think 28” young one is bigger than it is. A friend of mine killed a 36” bull last year and still didn’t believe it was as big as it was, even when he walked up to it and put his hands on the horns. They can be difficult animals to judge. Looking at pictures and videos will help if you want to improve your ability to judge them but even after seeing multiple oryx take dirt naps, I find them difficult to judge in rushed situations.

Oryx are also more difficult to spot than most guys expect. Oryx also have better eyesight than most guys expect.

I have personally shot several. One in NM, and multiple in Namibia…. And I have lost one that I hit as well. Shoot ON this shoulder, not behind. Their lungs do not go as far back in the rib cage like an Elk, and the guts Start a lot further forward than our North American critters.

Good luck, and congratulations on the tag. They’re also the best eating critter on 4 legs. Have a blast, and please send the report after.
Agree, dont use light caliber rifles, an oryx boiler room is pushed forward. Share your story and pics . Make memories

I forgot to mention, leave the 6.5 CM at home. 300’s and 338’s are fantastic for Oryx.
My primary rifle will be my Savage 300 Win Wag and my secondary rifle will be my Remington 700 LSS 300 Remington Ultra Magnum.

B9C32F03-B193-420D-BBA5-3592CE1E3405.jpeg

I do not know if it is still popular but when I had the tag the guide encouraged me to bring my muzzleloader. The books were soft at that time, I think my guide had 3 in the top 10. I brought it but with the threat of snow I put it away after lunch.

It is too late in the process to add additional firearms to the hunt. WSMR wants all firearm info presented in a package up front long before the hunt. They also want to know all persons that will be with the hunter.
Been 12 years since I had the tag, I forgot all that stuff. Our hunt was the first that allowed cameras. Only pictures with a person and a oryx were allowed. They went through my camera

Vecino!! Congratulations and good luck on your hunt!! I drew my OIL hunt in 2012 on my first try!

The first Oryx is definitely harder to see than you would think, but then after that you know what to look for and it's better.

I had to hike a little bit to get in position to shoot my Oryx and in the way there were multiple shots all around me at other animals I guess, but alll the lead flying by freaked me out, so be careful! I used a 300 Win mag for my hunt and stayed in Socorro.

Good luck amigo!!

Another thing to remember if it drops in its tracks load another round quick and stay on the animal . Do not automatically run up to it. I've seen them fall , get back up quickly and take off never to get another shot at them. And if he get back with a herd it's almost impossible to pick it out before they take off again.

Wise words: they favor low lands when lightly pressured and will sneak out through them, small desert depressions can hide them well enough.

When strongly pressed, they can run for miles...at full sprint...

I have the Stallion hunt Jan 28-30, and am wondering if this covid surge will entice the govt to close WSMR about that time.

I have the Stallion hunt Jan 28-30, and am wondering if this covid surge will entice the govt to close WSMR about that time.
I doubt they will. I’m not aware of them canceling any other hunts. If they didn’t do it last January, I doubt they would do it this January.

I went with a friend on a Rhodes hunt last year. The rule packet talked about masks and all the other zombie virus measures, but as the hunt went on, even WSMR staff weren't wearing face diapers, NM G & F certainly weren't.

Great tag. Make sure you take shooting sticks that you can shoot standing. And remember, you are not hunting unit 39. You will have plenty of chances take your time and enjoy the experience.

We had the Rhodes tag in 2010. Fun hunt. They told us it was going to snow on Sunday so we better get it done first day. Shot mine 3 pm Saturday. It ran 400 yards and bedded down. I walked up to it and shot it at 20 yards right behind the shoulder. It did not even blink. I was trying not to ruin the cape, 2 more shots with the same result. Moved it forward and he was done. When they said not to touch anything I thought it would be rare to see that sort of stuff. Not true, there was tubes and pieces everywhere we went. Best game meat I have ever had.

I have OIL WSMR hunt coming up and just wondering how the hunts have been this year? Also what to expect for this hunt? I’m a first time Orxys hunter but I have been watching allot on YouTube and reading different articles on hunting Orxys. My hunt is taking place on the Stallion Range. Thanks for any information your all willing to share it is greatly appreciated.

523C93CD-6F74-4EB3-8F71-D48F26A5AE95.jpeg

Very nice. Hopefully your taxi can put it together if you decide? You will have a lot of great tasting meat as well!

So I got a email from Gilbert from the WSMR Stallion Range hunt I was on and I had heard from several people including a game and fish officer that it seemed this hunt was a little harder then normal. According to these number is this about normal?

C84731A2-0294-4CC2-8C63-D195C734C1D5.png

Two years ago we were told to expect about 65% for the first September hunt. I believe the actual harvest rate was somewhat higher and we did see numerous oryx and had opportunities at three different stalks.

I've hunted the range once and I've accompanied on 3 other tags. I've seen a 6.5 and a .308 used. We now use a .338 Lapua, unless recoil is a consideration, then the .308 with TTSX's works.

This was a guided hunt when I hunted it. You had to take the animal they put you on. My advice is to arrive early and make friends with those guides as fast and as best as you can so one of them takes you to where he’s seen the big ones at. Most of these guys want go home or go about their daily routine as soon as possible which means getting you out of there as fast as they can. Good luck.

My primary rifle will be my Savage 300 Win Wag and my secondary rifle will be my Remington 700 LSS 300 Remington Ultra Magnum.

View attachment 63553
Those rifles will get it done. I’ve taken all mine and all my deer and elk with a short barrel Remington 3006 BDL using 165 grain Nosler Partition. It’s all about bullet placement, their vitals are forward of your typical big game animal. I shoot them through the shoulder. Don’t hesitate in shooting them more than once either. Again congratulations and good luck.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom