WTB Savage 99

LaGriz55

Looking for a Savage 99 (1899) in decent shape. Ideally a model from the mid 50's -60's such as a FW model,99EG, 99R, and the 99RS.
I'm flexible on the chambering. The condition of the riles means more to me. My preference would be for a .358 Win, .308 Win, 300 Sav. or a .284 win, 250-3000

LaGriz

I regret passing on one 2-3 years ago. They wanted $700 and I thought it was a bit high for the condition of the rifle. Have also been looking for a Sako Finn-Wolf lever action. I have been 3 to 6 months behind on 2 of these. In the south either of these rifles are as rare as hens teeth. In the upper mid-west and the northeast they are family heirlooms. Kind of a cult following because of the type and style of hunting done in those places.

Bump-Let this Brother member know if you stumble across one that might be available.

LaGriz55

They were lots of money back in my sporting goods sales days.... like $500, as I recall.
I sold a freaking traincar load of them over the 19 years of selling guns and I also failed miserably by not buying one for myself!

Zeke

C3ADB8B4-46D9-4F94-8E36-8F45CB6B9857.jpeg
1BC9AB88-A3C8-4437-AF45-78BF00EEC2A1.jpeg
This 99-C is available.
8E9278E8-2FC6-43A5-95D0-4360CD3B8B27.jpeg

Nice looking late model Savage. The 99C means it has a detachable magazine and not the traditionally rotary mag that made it popular. I do like the tag safety over the ones on the trigger guard. This would make it truly ambidextrous for the lefty.
Not what I'm really I'm looking for. Thank you all the same!

The Sako FinnWolf pointed out has already been checked out by me. Too rough for my tastes. (lots of rust and scared up)

LaGriz

....and the nice one is SPENDY!!!!

I should have put VERY rough not fairly rough.....lol

This is one I inherited recently from my grandfather. It’s a 1951 model. Believe it or not, he only shot around 50 rounds through it. I never liked them until I got it and read all I could find on them now I kind of like them. Savage tends to be lazy with the checkering. I know it was meant to be a cheap rifle, but this leaves a lot to be desired.

602945E0-9101-4126-9B3C-DE8ABC746DF7.jpeg

AA4A6F7C-C5AC-4555-AC51-6D6BC0B1C43F.jpeg

77FA79CB-BBC5-49D7-BCF1-725EAB204A15.jpeg

Have been searching on "Gun Broker" for weeks.
Have eye-balled many models and find the prices to be very high. Learned the checking was done by hand into the late 50's. To save money they went to pressed checkering (ugly) around 1962. The quality of the wood varies greatly too. Post 1952 they were drilled and tapped for scope mounts. If you find an older 99 that was drilled as an after thought it may/will loose value. Same goes for recoil pads. Some have no sling swivels or have a barrel band type stud up front. If chambered in .284 or .358 Win you will pay a premium. The .330 Savage is most common in older models (no Ammo) and the 30-30's are pretty rare. The 250-3000 (later just called the 250 Savage) are pretty common, and might be good medicine for medium size deer. I'm leaning hard towards the 300 Savage chambering. The .308 and the 243 were introduced in the later runs.

I don't care for the straight grip stocks, and much preferer the look & feel of the pistol-grip configuration. Some older stocks have a "perch Belly" curve to the butt stock. Take-down models are usually pre-war and sometimes come with an extra barrel and fore end. A few of the post-war models have a
Monte Carlo cheek piece and some higher quality walnut. Levers are often color cased-hardened. Most have a brass round counter on the receiver's left side, with a few having an aluminum version. A transition to the tag safety took place in 60's I think. Later removable clip feed models are much less desirable in my opinion. Something about these homely rifles really appeals to me. Everyone I have spoken to clams that they most always shoot well. Hope to find one that needs a home that isn't priced out of sight!

LaGriz

I have a model 99-F in 308 , my dad got it for me when I started hunting , killed a truckload of deer and Antelope with it over the years. Great shooting weapon.

Both my Dad and Grandpa have 99s in .300 Savage. I think my dad's is the carbine model with a shorter barrel or something?

Either way every deer my dad shot ( West Virginia and PA) he said they just dropped like you hot them in the head with a sledgehammer. 165 gr Nosler Partitions. Neat old guns and as I recall the recoil wasn't terrible. Nothing like the pre 64 300 H&H......that steel butt plate pounds the shoulder!

Update on my quest,

I made a bid on a Savage 99 on Gunbroker.com and was successful. The Year of manufacture (mid-to-late 50's) is not clear. Rifle is chambered 300 Savage, has the brass round counter, and the safety is on the lever/trigger guard. The rifle comes with bases and rings for mounting a scope, but the rear sight dovetail only has a blank installed. Metal looks decent from the photos, while the stock has the usual handling marks any 60+ year old hunting rifle might have. Butt plate is at the rear (steel or plastic?) and also has sling swivels fore and aft. This weapon is almost identical to the "one that got away" 3 years ago I found at a local gun shop. I hesitated to buy that one. I will reserve final judgement upon delivery.

LaGriz

Thanks for the warning,

Was surprised that I have located two sources of ammo. the 300 Savage Its easer to find then either the .280 Rem. or my .358 Win. However, only available in the Remington 150 grain core lock load.
LaGriz

The recoil on the 1950s Savage 99 in our stable does have a stout kick. Am sure the same caliber in another configuration is not as pronounced? Irrespective, still a great caliber.

Recoil issues,

I also own a 338-06 built on a M70. Had a grind-to-fit pad installed, and although stout, it's not a major problem. This M70 does represent and deliver the recoil limit I can comfortably tolerate. That said, my much lighter .280 Remington 700 Mt. rifle has far worse barrel jump then any of these other weapons. The Remington stock has a hard and thin recoil pad on it's original stock that could be improved upon.

Stock shape plays a huge role in the felt recoil of any rifle. Ultimately I want a well balanced, quick pointing, fast acquiring rig. Scope mount, length of pull, and a 24" barrel will all factor in. This will be a hunting rifle so off-hand use is paramount. Shots at the range to sight in will be mostly off of a bench master rest. Preferer a shorter length of pull on most all my rifles. If I feel the need to shorten the stock, I will then address the recoil pad. Short term, I'll hold off on any such mods, as it may lower the value of the rifle.

LaGriz

Oh....not maybe....it will destroy the value. I’ve shot a boat load of 300 savage from model 99’s.....never once did I think recoil was anything but mild.

I've got 2 99s, a 375 Winchester and a 358. My 300 savage is a model 700 Remington classic which is noticeably heavier weight wise than my 2 99s. 358s the worst with 375 and 300 in that order of recoil none of which are bad.
I also have a New England Handi rifle in 45-70. With Hornady high pressure ammo kicks like a mule. After shooting my 45-70 a few times the others are pretty mild.
If I didn't have the model 700 I'd get a 99 in 300, heck, after reading your thread I may get one anyway.:) Love the 99.:love:

Post a picture of it when you get it.

Thanks 12pointer,

I'll try and post some pics when I except delivery.

I'm envious of your Model 99 chambered in .358 Win. This is a very underrated woods cartridge. Very similar to the 338 Federal in trajectory and I assume, performance on game. I did locate one 99 in .358 and two models chambered in .284 Win. All were quite pricey, and did not solve the ammo availability issues. The very capable .300 Savage is much easier to find.

Love for the .358 Win:

Hunted several years with a group of guys here in Louisiana's Atchafalaya Basin. One guy hunted with a Marlin in .375 Win. with great success. I killed most of my deer with a lever action Marin 336C in .35 Rem. In a tangled swamp environment, shots were close and both rifles shot 200 grain cup-n-core bullets. Had only a few issues with waisted meat (shoulder hits) but for the most part, they preformed well. The .358 Win has a 450 fps advantage over the 35 Rem while shooting better BC pointed bullets. This fact sold me as it had the potential to be a far better mid-range option. Twenty years ago I purchased the .358 chambered in a Pre-64 M70 FW with a fetching French walnut stock. Wow! but I'm still enamored with the look and feel of this rifle that has become my favorite. Limited runs of Remington and Ruger bolt actions are out their. Browning still offers the .358 in the BLR (I think). One could do much worse in selecting one of these. IMHO

LaGriz

Homer says, "It's comical to me to include BC in any conversation about these rounds".....Well Einstein..... these rounds are biased on a .308 case. Does BC not matter in a short action cartridge like but not limited too: 243, 260 Rem, 7M-08, just to name a few? My comments in my approval of 12Pointer's collection of Savage 99's are not arbitrary. Are you of the belief that if one is not shooting a long range rig with a magnum cartridge we are wasting our time? Should we be silenced by the likes of you who enters a thread about a discontinued short action rifle, in an effort to shame my opinions? Should we pass any future purchases of weapons by you for approval?
I hope you previous 9,941 comments were less condescending in nature.

Environments dictate choices of weapons that may be best suited to a specific location and style of hunting. I won't be toting the .358 on an Pronghorn hunt anytime soon. What works in open country (most western states) may not be the best choice in Maine's big woods, the UP of Michigan, or the swamps of Louisiana. I'm pleased and surprised how well these old school cartridges still perform and I do not feel under gunned at those ranges in those places I have described. So sorry your not impressed. I guess you have the option to ignore my posts. I would not go on a thread about long range hunting only to S---- on your thoughts on that subject that I know little about. We are all hunters and shooters and share a passion for our sport. Confused that you fail to understand just what a judgmental turd you can be.

LaGriz

375win, 358, 35 rem, and 300 savage are long rangers???...lol.......ok

I love all those rounds....but they are 250 yard guns.....BC is nearly irrelevant.

You seem to have your panties in a wad for no good reason....

Last edited:
Western powder lists a maximum load of Accurate 2520 for the 200 grain .358 Winchester bullet at 2568 Ft/Sec.

200 grain .358 Accubond BC .421 at 300 yards 1983 Ft/Sec., 1747 Ft/lbs.

200 grain Hornady round nose BC .201 at 300 yards 1453 Ft/Sec,. 937 Ft/lbs.

Please explain why almost twice the energy at 300 yards is irrelevant?

LaGriz55 said "mid-range option", you brought long range into this thread.

The state I live in requires only straight-wall cartridges may be used for deer, hence the model 99 375 Win. and 45-70, so anyone who posts their experience with these or the 358Win is appreciated by me.

I didn’t bring long range into this....I brought BC into this
375win, 358, 35 rem, and 300 savage are long rangers???...lol.......ok

I love all those rounds....but they are 250 yard guns.....BC is nearly irrelevant.

You seem to have your panties in a wad for no good reason....
Who said anything about long rangers but you???

LaGrizz said,
"Environments dictate choices of weapons that may be best suited to a specific location and style of hunting. I won't be toting the .358 on an Pronghorn hunt anytime soon. What works in open country (most western states) may not be the best choice in Maine's big woods, the UP of Michigan, or the swamps of Louisiana".

He's saying they're not "long rangers".

And you still haven't answered the question.
Why is almost twice the energy at 300 yards irrelevant?

Looking for a Savage 99 (1899) in decent shape. Ideally a model from the mid 50's -60's such as a FW model,99EG, 99R, and the 99RS.
I'm flexible on the chambering. The condition of the riles means more to me. My preference would be for a .358 Win, .308 Win, 300 Sav. or a .284 win, 250-3000

LaGriz
I've got an old, in really good condition 300 savage. I'll have to pull it out of the safe and see what suffix it is .

Suggest you get on U-Tube and you will find a video that describes the codes. Located in front of the lever on the bottom of the receiver you will find a circle with a letter inside. (sometimes including a number) Was told if it had an "A" it was manufactured in 1949. if you see a "B" that would indicate 1950, While a "C" would be 1951 and so on. My rifle has an "F" indicating it was made in1954.

Hope you are successful.
LaGriz

Did some digging , forgot how dang hard this model is to identify . It's a 1949 EG s/n 501207 . Seems to be a special order option for it to have a flat dovetailed bar insert where the rear sight would be located. It was drilled and tapped by a gunsmith I'm assuming as the holes barely knick the savage model 99 lettering. Besides that it is in great shape. Tiny stock checking at the receiver but it came to me this way and I've never fired it . Just been holding onto it for a while waiting for a good time to sell it .

I have two of them one was my Dad's and the other was my Uncles. My uncle took the stock off of it and made a new stock so that it shot better for a left handed shooter.
Dad's is stock and I use it sometimes for pig hunting and blacktail hunting. It has the detachable clips which I like as you have 5 shots and another 5 shots in your pocket so no need to carry any other ammo.

Finally got sighted in today with my .300 Savage. Bore sighting was way off, almost 8" high at 50? This caused me a few extra shots to figure out. Rifle functioned just fine with no issues. The recoil is mild, even better than I hoped with no perceived barrel jump unlike my .280 rem. Point-ability is good and the trigger is decent. Ultimately, I shot a decent group at 50 yards, then moved to 100.

My choice of scope may be a disappointment. The Leupold Freedom 1.5X4X20 is on the low end. I find the clarity and detail is limited at 100 yards more than I had hoped. Might be my vision is even worse than a year ago. Most disappointed on the scope having no feed back, no discernable "click" or feel while making adjustments. If it holds zero once dialed in I will be OK with it. At this point however, I wish I had gone with the VX-3 1.5X5X20 for another $200. It was not available at the moment, and would have required a wait.

May have an opportunity to bust some hogs on a friends deer lease in the near future. His place is over run with critters. A 150 grain core-lock from this Savage might be good hog medicine.

LaGriz

At 100 yards I'm looking at 3". Much tighter at 50. The only load I have is the Remington 150grain Core-lock. Goal is to tight the groups going forward.

I just did some playing around with mine. Couldn’t shoot it worth a darn. I’m going to try it again. I have some old factory silver tip, around 15 pieces and that’s about it. I got some reloads with it but they were looking pretty bad, so much that I pulled the bullets and salvaged the brass since you can’t find new anywhere. The reloads were sticky with lube and brass was not headstamp/brand sorted at all and some of the primers that were fired looked like they were kind of hot. I just felt better pulling them. I will clean the chamber + action and foam up and clean the barrel and load up some 125 grain Sierra tipped matchkings and see what they do. I could go 150 grain, but this rifle is more of a experiment than anything I plan on using for hunting.

I would like to try the super-performance ammo from Hornaday. I don't yet reload, but when I do will be looking for a load with a 150 AccuBond or something similar. So far I have found the Remington ammo in 3 different locations near me. Paid as little as $40 and as much as $49 per box.

LaGriz

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom