WY 128, here we go.

BIGOLMULEY

Drove out this morning. It was a bit scary.
8A873A3F-A74C-4E33-95F6-9DD46786B6B1.jpeg

Pretty much like this the whole way.
Went to a spot a few folks told me about. Pretty windy, but I started seeing deer. Lots of deer. And lots of people. I figured there would be some around, but not this many. But that’s ok. Big area and lots of deer. Saw 30ish or so bucks.

8F7A737B-47C3-4BA1-A224-BA7B30994B65.jpeg

D8E0EB56-4DC1-40A0-A8A5-95B58E4B1B8F.jpeg

Might have to look at him again. Dang short 2’s.
it is going to be fun. I probably shouldn’t be to picky, but I have a lot of days. And they are pretty dumb, so it should give me time to set up my gun. The cold is really bothering my paralyzed side. Makes it lock right up. We shall see. Going to be an adventure.
Thanks to everyone that has helped me out and called. I do have a good friend with me until Monday. Then another probably coming when he leaves.
I will try to post up some updates.

Just one man's opinion, but I'd be shooting that buck just for the cool factor. His back forks aren't huge, as you mentioned, but big fronts and extras on the back are pretty neat. Whatever you decide on, have a blast, a hunt that many of us will never get a chance to experience.

This is my dream tag. Love looking at bucks! Do you need anyone to join you? I will beg my wife to go join you a day or 2.

Good luck. You have a lot more resolve than I do. With that tag, I would have killed that buck in the second pic.

Yes with that tag have a blast I hope you get the one you are looking for. I would have been done already.. But I'm trigger happy LOL

Pulling hard for you Jason! I am glad you are doing this semi-live so we can follow along. I would have had a hard time passing up that last buck - he is pretty sweet looking, but you have time so why not see what shows up?!

Wishing you the best of luck out there!!(y)

So today was nothing like yesterday. Super windy and as sjhgraysage says supposedly worse tomorrow. People are knocking everything over. This is the last full weekend and the bullets are flying.
Rough today. Saw maybe 6 bucks this am. A 26” 3x4 with no eyeguards was the best.
Tonight 5 bucks and just no deer around. Hunted up on the forest in the trees as the wind was better.
tried to go up on table mtn and spring mtn but was getting blown off so back to the forest we went.
So many people up east fork. But still lots of deer. Ran into some guys that hunted there today and they said everyone is there. But they saw new bucks so you never know.
Dis see a pretty good whitetail in the forest. He was just over the fence on private. Neat to see up there.
Tomorrow is a new day.
Didn’t get pics of the bigger deer

80CF8D48-7F4C-4ECA-AFFF-DFE3618A3311.jpeg
24E3F826-7E8E-4B65-A5AA-BA81B87BAC17.jpeg
2A3CE2A2-65E4-4201-86C8-DA6A9FD79065.jpeg
F14AB49E-55A1-4F68-A17B-4C6730522FB5.jpeg
632AF6DF-30EB-43F8-BBDC-A6F8E71A6306.jpeg

I have one less than max points as a NR, can remember if that gets me into the running or not but I'll have to look it up because your pictures have me wanting to driver there right now.

I have one less than max points as a NR, can remember if that gets me into the running or not but I'll have to look it up because your pictures have me wanting to driver there right now.
With max points it was around 6 or 7% so you’ll have to wait awhile to get it...

1605344311358.png

Looks like a lot of fun, those bucks would get my blood moving a little faster in that cold weather!
Get 'er done!?

Ok, so windy today. It was terrible. Went up East fork and there was a bunch of people and hardly any deer. Saw maybe 5 bucks.
Did I say it was windy?
8AFF77E0-0AAE-4835-A31F-C84CC745D009.jpeg
A39D1629-8A02-406B-984A-B5723ACFE7C5.jpeg

The things to see and the scenery is so amazing. Even if it blowing 50 mph

BF438AA4-AEF4-476C-873F-9C4F94B48239.jpeg

7E85FFBE-B435-4F7C-AA73-0E3365D202FB.jpeg

D4EF3428-4755-428F-831F-0EDEB5DFF1B4.jpeg

There is a 27” 3-point in this pic. It’s pretty, so you get the landscape over the deer. This was yesterday. I forgot it.

4EC2AC2C-EBA7-4D60-9177-1D7253389C6E.jpeg

Saw some Bighorns in a field on the way back to town. Pretty incredible to see them so close.

C4850B7C-5048-44C8-BF5F-B5F2BCEE6C4F.jpeg

75ED0D6A-633F-40B0-8136-9FE052890E59.jpeg

So we got back about 1:30 for lunch and the guys next door knock on our door. They had shot a buck and wanted us to see it. Yep, you know where this is going.

1AD5CF42-6968-425E-93DE-89F1A4AD8AC0.jpeg

0DBCA506-76F8-4595-8089-F785636AD79D.jpeg

Um, yea. Way bigger than the pics I shared. He was pretty happy. Their bodies here are giant. I need to remember that.

I took a 202 nontypical on this tag back in '97 and my wife had the tag in 2011. it's one of my all time favorite hunts and I'm glad to see the deer are coming back. we saw nothing like that in '11. I have max points so one of these years I should get a last shot at it.

Aren't most of the people you're seeing elk hunters ? that's typically the case. far less deer tags now than there were back then. the buck in your pictures is about as good as one can expect on this hunt. very nice deer and while bigger ones do happen they don't happen often. I'd take him.

Crossing the east fork and hunting up to the rez boundary isn't a bad idea if you have some boots and want to walk a little.

Ok, so windy today. It was terrible. Went up East fork and there was a bunch of people and hardly any deer. Saw maybe 5 bucks.
Did I say it was windy?
View attachment 17590View attachment 17591
The things to see and the scenery is so amazing. Even if it blowing 50 mph

View attachment 17593

View attachment 17594

View attachment 17595

There is a 27” 3-point in this pic. It’s pretty, so you get the landscape over the deer. This was yesterday. I forgot it.

View attachment 17596

Saw some Bighorns in a field on the way back to town. Pretty incredible to see them so close.

View attachment 17597
View attachment 17598

So we got back about 1:30 for lunch and the guys next door knock on our door. They had shot a buck and wanted us to see it. Yep, you know where this is going.

View attachment 17600
View attachment 17601

Um, yea. Way bigger than the pics I shared. He was pretty happy. Their bodies here are giant. I need to remember that.
Oops

I took a 202 nontypical on this tag back in '97 and my wife had the tag in 2011. it's one of my all time favorite hunts and I'm glad to see the deer are coming back. we saw nothing like that in '11. I have max points so one of these years I should get a last shot at it.

Aren't most of the people you're seeing elk hunters ? that's typically the case. far less deer tags now than there were back then. the buck in your pictures is about as good as one can expect on this hunt. very nice deer and while bigger ones do happen they don't happen often. I'd take him.

Crossing the east fork and hunting up to the rez boundary isn't a bad idea if you have some boots and want to walk a little.
We have run into a few elk hunters, but most are deer with 5 guys helping.
I tried to get across the creek and hike in. With my leg and body the way it is I know I would get myself in trouble. But thanks!

Let the hunt continue, can’t kill the big one if ya settle for a good one!! Hunt for the one that will make ya happy!! Good luck and hope the one steps into the crosshairs soon !!

So it is Sunday and I am a no hunt guy on the Sabbath. But we went to look.

Still tons of people. It was snowing hard and everyone was up in the forest today. Over a foot up there. The deer were out pretty decent. Saw 8 bucks, all pretty little. I didn’t take any pictures as the snow was so bad. Well one when I had a clear window
747C6328-0DF5-40FB-BD24-83BC0283CF51.jpeg
Talked with a Guy who had won a commissioner tag in a raffle. Bought a hundred bucks worth. cool.

Another friend and his Dad came at lunch. We headed out and started seeing more deer. Still snowing barely and breezy. Saw this buck in a field all alone. He ran back across the road. As we came out that night we watched him get shot. One less hunter.
BBEE25E7-F541-427B-A5FE-46661DCD3206.jpeg
67D88B81-AB63-482C-B15E-945FFFC26C60.jpeg

Lots of deer in the fields tonight. Funny to see guys just watching from their trucks, hoping a big one comes out. It’s actually not a bad way to go. You never know what might show up.
1F3D963F-F427-4D45-A648-A0DAFC9BC8C2.jpeg
7325677B-1D36-48BC-AFBC-D10167EAC00B.jpeg

Glassed up this guy. Rutting pretty good
BCAE53E7-5852-44D4-B203-FD37A1FD19F7.jpeg

Now here is where I got pretty tempted to break my no shooting on Sunday.
He is no giant but a dang good deer. I wish I could post video here.
Tell me what you think? He is a solid deer. I think 175ish
7B66F803-0002-4DE8-B7DE-913C2AB0303F.jpeg
ECE68302-2DA7-4F89-A977-00C239067BA8.jpeg
4A28DF5D-0140-4FCD-9831-87AA592F7889.jpeg

But I am having a hard time with these big bodies. He definitely is a tank. I have a friend leaving at noon tomorrow and the others are gone Tuesday night. Then I am alone. I am sure I can get some help, as there are a million people around. But it would be cool to have the people who sacrificed their time to come help me be there.
I guess I will let you know tomorrow if we find him, or not.

Great buck, you are likely close on your guesstimate. He should go a little better though but won’t likely exceed 180 . Nothing worse than the pressure to kill something someone else portrays to be worthy of YOUR tag. Let your hair down, have fun and pull the trigger when YOU feel it’s right.

Yep I think I’d pull the trigger on that one he is much better then the other Bucks you have been posting ( not counting the slug the other guy shot). Lol

That last buck is the best one You have posted. I think he is bigger than the 1st one you posted, minus the extra cool stuff on it. But THAT last buck is A TANK!!! I would be looking for him MONDAY!!!! Go Get Him!!!

This is a big bodied deer. Nothing wrong with a solid 180 class deer. My question is how many pts does it take to draw as a resident. I am a nr with max pts and have been applying for 128 for 3 years. Not sure why so many people would be helping out on this hunt not being a true trophy hunt. Like helping friends but if it takes watching the fields then ? Question to previous hunters would this buck be near top end or a good representation of deer in the unit. Good luck and have fun.

This is a big bodied deer. Nothing wrong with a solid 180 class deer. My question is how many pts does it take to draw as a resident. I am a nr with max pts and have been applying for 128 for 3 years. Not sure why so many people would be helping out on this hunt not being a true trophy hunt. Like helping friends but if it takes watching the fields then ? Question to previous hunters would this buck be near top end or a good representation of deer in the unit. Good luck and have fun.
No points for residents. Random Draw tag with around 2% odds.

I knew that and blanked it out. So I guess it is a big deal to draw as a resident. Hope most of the crowd are elk hunters which can be a useful tool. Much like CO and the deer hunts there. Thanks

I was in the unit with my son last year for a whitetail buck.
It was at the beginning of Nov.
We saw one close to this last buck posted which I conservatively guesstimate at 177.
We also saw a bigger one on our last day, but he was on private when we saw him.
That is a solid buck for this area in my opinion.

Kill that buck he's a pretty buck and big also. Think of body size on the character buck that got killed and was bigger than you thought, I bet this buck will go 185", good luck go get him.

I've really enjoyed this thread. Much like the rest if it feels like the right one I'd take him. Great buck with great friends. That's are hard combo to beat. Good luck.

As many others are expressing - I'm loving your thread here. I have always heard that this is a very unique hunt and a blast, now I know why! You are giving us real insite what this hunt is all about.
No way to go wrong on that last buck. Aside from score - He's big, clean, and well formed. I know that he'd look great on my wall?

Well I am home.
Man I put a lot of thought into this deer and if it was the one I was to shoot. I was having so much fun hunting and being with my friends. As I discussed with them what we do in the morning, I decided that we get there early and try to glass him up. If found we would make a move.
I really didn’t want to shoot a deer from the road. It’s done a ton on this hunt. I just didn’t want to. Plus it takes me 9 years to get set up and ready to shoot.
We were like the 7th vehicle down the road. We worried someone would be there, but one by one the vehicles pulled off the road or turned down a different road.
That was pretty funny. A lot of folks just sat the fields trying to catch a bigger buck with them. It’s actually a decent way to kill a good buck. Just not what I wanted to do.
It took us about 30 minutes to turn him up. One other hunter came by and was glassing the same general area. We went over to them and let them know we were headed up to put a stalk on a buck. They were really cool and wished us luck.
The buck was in a ravine kind of hidden from view, but the does were there so we knew he was close. As we were headed out a doe busted out with him right on her tail. Then all the rest of the does followed. We took off following up the mountain. So no shooting from the truck ??
They continued up the mountain and settled in a small draw about 1000 yards from us. We snuck in to about 500 and that’s where we made the stand. There were about 20 does and 3 bucks spread out. We got the gun set up on the tripod, clamped it down and I tried to get solid.
I wish I could shoot prone. But not having the use of arm I kind of just fall over.
I was on a little slope uphill and I just couldn’t get steady. Gravity was pulling me down away from the gun as I was trying to lean into it. After 5 minutes I told the guys I had to move. Crosshairs were all over him, and I didn’t feel good at all.
So we moved over about 15 yards and it was flat. That allowed me to really lean into the gun. I found him raking a bush to death in the scope. He finally turned broadside. I asked if everyone was ready, and they were. One in the scope/video. And the other on the glass. I ranged him one last time. 483. Wind was 10, but straight in our face.
When I felt solid I squeezed it off. Hit him perfect. He jumped up, ran 10 yards, walked 10 and fell over sliding down the hill to som bigger rocks. I have video. It’s pretty cool. Vapor trail is seen. 6.5x.284 140 Berger VLD. Pretty good hole on the exit side.
One guy went back for the pack as I and another friend went to the buck.

My buddy pushing him up out of the brush for pics. Cuz it’s all about the pictures. ?
2F514C7B-F26E-466C-AFF8-71DA158B8868.jpeg

We said a prayer of thanks and then took 150 pictures. Well not that much. Actually probably more ?
The day was perfect, a little windy, but not brutal cold. And he couldn’t have died in a prettier place.
ADD82429-2E98-4169-B301-BB32C2709539.jpeg
946F357E-EA12-4DED-AD7E-4C1A26EDE1B9.jpeg
5E38CD82-5906-4C9D-AC0A-FF1D7FE11D80.jpeg

I can’t skin anymore. Kills me I can’t. But ain’t no way to run a knife and pull on the skin with one hand. Believe me I have tried! But was lucky to have friends there. I could have hacked my way through it, but grateful for the help. I did a time lapse and it only took 31 seconds to break him all down. ?
Pretty fun.
I really wanted to pack the head out, so they helped me get it in my pack. Then got my pack on and off we went.

02580F87-933D-47C4-B8D6-2429A5292498.jpeg
20E21FDF-E017-41DB-BFB5-5677EBA2CA7D.jpeg

I did not fall down once. I tried, but caught myself

Couple more pics

E6E69AF3-CB39-4F03-B8CB-B7EB01A5B1ED.jpeg

7A5863FD-5171-4CEC-BC6B-0F21A282135B.jpeg

Haven’t scored him up yet other than width. We all thought 24-25. And he is just over 25”
His body was huge. But holding him now I think he is just what I thought. 175 ish.
I am way happy with him and the hunt.
My thoughts on the 128 tag.
Super fun
Tons of deer
Tons of people
Giants live there
You may or may not see one
Would love to hunt it again
Raffle tickets!!
I would have an enclosed UTV. Lots of roads you would be able to go on if you had one. Not a truck. But only with snow. Must have a heater.
Wind really kept the deer down
Take someone who has been on the hunt before. By the end you really figure out where the deer are. 20% of the country held 75% of the deer

Thanks again all those who helped out and commented. I would have loved to get a Giant, but I got out of the hunt what I really needed. The knowledge I can still get it done even though I am paralyzed. With the help of some incredible friends.

Jason “The Big Ol’ Muley”

Awesome stuff and a dandy buck to boot. Way to persevere and get it done with your buddies. Thanks again for sharing and congrats!

That was awesome! Loved the whole thing! I think he's bigger than 175...I think closer to 185, but maybe it's just that it's such a good story! Anyways, good job! I have max points, so hopefully I'll be looking you up some day soon!

Great buck and great story! Love the write up and the pictures. What a fun memory with your friends/family. Thanks for sharing.

Well I am home.
Man I put a lot of thought into this deer and if it was the one I was to shoot. I was having so much fun hunting and being with my friends. As I discussed with them what we do in the morning, I decided that we get there early and try to glass him up. If found we would make a move.
I really didn’t want to shoot a deer from the road. It’s done a ton on this hunt. I just didn’t want to. Plus it takes me 9 years to get set up and ready to shoot.
We were like the 7th vehicle down the road. We worried someone would be there, but one by one the vehicles pulled off the road or turned down a different road.
That was pretty funny. A lot of folks just sat the fields trying to catch a bigger buck with them. It’s actually a decent way to kill a good buck. Just not what I wanted to do.
It took us about 30 minutes to turn him up. One other hunter came by and was glassing the same general area. We went over to them and let them know we were headed up to put a stalk on a buck. They were really cool and wished us luck.
The buck was in a ravine kind of hidden from view, but the does were there so we knew he was close. As we were headed out a doe busted out with him right on her tail. Then all the rest of the does followed. We took off following up the mountain. So no shooting from the truck ??
They continued up the mountain and settled in a small draw about 1000 yards from us. We snuck in to about 500 and that’s where we made the stand. There were about 20 does and 3 bucks spread out. We got the gun set up on the tripod, clamped it down and I tried to get solid.
I wish I could shoot prone. But not having the use of arm I kind of just fall over.
I was on a little slope uphill and I just couldn’t get steady. Gravity was pulling me down away from the gun as I was trying to lean into it. After 5 minutes I told the guys I had to move. Crosshairs were all over him, and I didn’t feel good at all.
So we moved over about 15 yards and it was flat. That allowed me to really lean into the gun. I found him raking a bush to death in the scope. He finally turned broadside. I asked if everyone was ready, and they were. One in the scope/video. And the other on the glass. I ranged him one last time. 483. Wind was 10, but straight in our face.
When I felt solid I squeezed it off. Hit him perfect. He jumped up, ran 10 yards, walked 10 and fell over sliding down the hill to som bigger rocks. I have video. It’s pretty cool. Vapor trail is seen. 6.5x.284 140 Berger VLD. Pretty good hole on the exit side.
One guy went back for the pack as I and another friend went to the buck.

My buddy pushing him up out of the brush for pics. Cuz it’s all about the pictures. ?View attachment 17849
We said a prayer of thanks and then took 150 pictures. Well not that much. Actually probably more ?
The day was perfect, a little windy, but not brutal cold. And he couldn’t have died in a prettier place.
View attachment 17850View attachment 17851View attachment 17852

I can’t skin anymore. Kills me I can’t. But ain’t no way to run a knife and pull on the skin with one hand. Believe me I have tried! But was lucky to have friends there. I could have hacked my way through it, but grateful for the help. I did a time lapse and it only took 31 seconds to break him all down. ?
Pretty fun.
I really wanted to pack the head out, so they helped me get it in my pack. Then got my pack on and off we went.

View attachment 17854View attachment 17855

I did not fall down once. I tried, but caught myself

Couple more pics

View attachment 17856
View attachment 17858
Haven’t scored him up yet other than width. We all thought 24-25. And he is just over 25”
His body was huge. But holding him now I think he is just what I thought. 175 ish.
I am way happy with him and the hunt.
My thoughts on the 128 tag.
Super fun
Tons of deer
Tons of people
Giants live there
You may or may not see one
Would love to hunt it again
Raffle tickets!!
I would have an enclosed UTV. Lots of roads you would be able to go on if you had one. Not a truck. But only with snow. Must have a heater.
Wind really kept the deer down
Take someone who has been on the hunt before. By the end you really figure out where the deer are. 20% of the country held 75% of the deer

Thanks again all those who helped out and commented. I would have loved to get a Giant, but I got out of the hunt what I really needed. The knowledge I can still get it done even though I am paralyzed. With the help of some incredible friends.

Jason “The Big Ol’ Muley”
great buck great story

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom