WY 128, here we go.

That is awesome Jason - so happy for you! You are an inspiration man! I still think that buck is over 180 based on the pics, but no matter what he scores, he is one of the prettiest typicals I have seen and you were able to take him with good friends. Doesn't get any better than that!

Happy for you!

We all knew you'd git r dun, just a matter of time to find the right one. That's probably the prettiest of all the Bucks you've killed IMO!

Great to have a hunt story and pictures posted up here on MM again. Not as many as there used to be. Everybody being Positive is the best part. Thanks for taking us along on your hunt. BigOlMuley, always has posted great hunts here on MM.

Congrats BOM!
After spending some time in the unit last year, and some many years ago before the late deer tag was an option. It is my opinion you did very well on this hunt. That is a great deer for that area.
Like I mentioned before, in several days last year I saw only one buck that may have been larger than your buck, and not by much and it was on private land.
Thanks for sharing your hunt with us! (y):)

I agree with those saying thread of the year!

Just like many say you can't put a price on some things, I feel you cant put a score on some critters. Saying that most of us care at least a little about score or we wouldn't be on here, and saying that I think that deer may be a bit bigger than you think. I think he will break 180 with a little room, and factoring in the story and friends involved, etc., he is much bigger than that!

Congrats and thanks for the story!

Well done! Congrats on a great buck and thank you for the write up. I enjoyed this thread thoroughly.

Well I am home.
Man I put a lot of thought into this deer and if it was the one I was to shoot. I was having so much fun hunting and being with my friends. As I discussed with them what we do in the morning, I decided that we get there early and try to glass him up. If found we would make a move.
I really didn’t want to shoot a deer from the road. It’s done a ton on this hunt. I just didn’t want to. Plus it takes me 9 years to get set up and ready to shoot.
We were like the 7th vehicle down the road. We worried someone would be there, but one by one the vehicles pulled off the road or turned down a different road.
That was pretty funny. A lot of folks just sat the fields trying to catch a bigger buck with them. It’s actually a decent way to kill a good buck. Just not what I wanted to do.
It took us about 30 minutes to turn him up. One other hunter came by and was glassing the same general area. We went over to them and let them know we were headed up to put a stalk on a buck. They were really cool and wished us luck.
The buck was in a ravine kind of hidden from view, but the does were there so we knew he was close. As we were headed out a doe busted out with him right on her tail. Then all the rest of the does followed. We took off following up the mountain. So no shooting from the truck ??
They continued up the mountain and settled in a small draw about 1000 yards from us. We snuck in to about 500 and that’s where we made the stand. There were about 20 does and 3 bucks spread out. We got the gun set up on the tripod, clamped it down and I tried to get solid.
I wish I could shoot prone. But not having the use of arm I kind of just fall over.
I was on a little slope uphill and I just couldn’t get steady. Gravity was pulling me down away from the gun as I was trying to lean into it. After 5 minutes I told the guys I had to move. Crosshairs were all over him, and I didn’t feel good at all.
So we moved over about 15 yards and it was flat. That allowed me to really lean into the gun. I found him raking a bush to death in the scope. He finally turned broadside. I asked if everyone was ready, and they were. One in the scope/video. And the other on the glass. I ranged him one last time. 483. Wind was 10, but straight in our face.
When I felt solid I squeezed it off. Hit him perfect. He jumped up, ran 10 yards, walked 10 and fell over sliding down the hill to som bigger rocks. I have video. It’s pretty cool. Vapor trail is seen. 6.5x.284 140 Berger VLD. Pretty good hole on the exit side.
One guy went back for the pack as I and another friend went to the buck.

My buddy pushing him up out of the brush for pics. Cuz it’s all about the pictures. ?View attachment 17849
We said a prayer of thanks and then took 150 pictures. Well not that much. Actually probably more ?
The day was perfect, a little windy, but not brutal cold. And he couldn’t have died in a prettier place.
View attachment 17850View attachment 17851View attachment 17852

I can’t skin anymore. Kills me I can’t. But ain’t no way to run a knife and pull on the skin with one hand. Believe me I have tried! But was lucky to have friends there. I could have hacked my way through it, but grateful for the help. I did a time lapse and it only took 31 seconds to break him all down. ?
Pretty fun.
I really wanted to pack the head out, so they helped me get it in my pack. Then got my pack on and off we went.

View attachment 17854View attachment 17855

I did not fall down once. I tried, but caught myself

Couple more pics

View attachment 17856
View attachment 17858
Haven’t scored him up yet other than width. We all thought 24-25. And he is just over 25”
His body was huge. But holding him now I think he is just what I thought. 175 ish.
I am way happy with him and the hunt.
My thoughts on the 128 tag.
Super fun
Tons of deer
Tons of people
Giants live there
You may or may not see one
Would love to hunt it again
Raffle tickets!!
I would have an enclosed UTV. Lots of roads you would be able to go on if you had one. Not a truck. But only with snow. Must have a heater.
Wind really kept the deer down
Take someone who has been on the hunt before. By the end you really figure out where the deer are. 20% of the country held 75% of the deer

Thanks again all those who helped out and commented. I would have loved to get a Giant, but I got out of the hunt what I really needed. The knowledge I can still get it done even though I am paralyzed. With the help of some incredible friends.

Jason “The Big Ol’ Muley”
Way cool

Well done! Thanks for the great write up and awesome pictures of the hunt. That is about as pretty of a buck as they come!

I've hunted this twice and kept tabs on a half dozen other guys who've hunted it in the last decade and the deer they've taken and I can assure you the buck you took is better than average. well done congrats.

It appears the cut in the tag numbers has improved the quality from what you have shown and said. it's not often anything gets better with mule deer so this is a good story all the way around thanks for sharing.

Great buck and story congrats. Still saying he's over 180, gonna go with 183 gross. Put a tape on him and let us know.

Congratulations on a great buck. I’m on and off of MM mostly off so I’m not sure if I heard how you became paralyzed. Anyway if I remember correctly you like myself were/are a big Waterfowler? Are you able to still chase birds? Sorry to hear about your health but glad you’re still out getting it done. Congrats again.

Founder you should include a thread of the year contest similar to your photo contests. Throw a little prize at it and I’m guess people would enjoy participating and enjoying the top threads all in one place. Forum members vote on the top thread similar to other contests on MM’s. This one would likely be the one to beat. Just a thought.

Jason, Congratulations on a nice buck and thank you for sharing your experience.

Congratulations on a great buck. I’m on and off of MM mostly off so I’m not sure if I heard how you became paralyzed. Anyway if I remember correctly you like myself were/are a big Waterfowler? Are you able to still chase birds? Sorry to hear about your health but glad you’re still out getting it done. Congrats again.
I was big into waterfowl. I still try. I sold my super black eagle 2 and bought a left handed M2. I try, but it’s pretty tough one armed and left eyed. I have had to start wearing a patch. The muscle memory is so strong to close my left eye.
Had a steel pole go through my skull and into my brain which caused a trauma induced stroke. Good times. I don’t recommend it. Haha!

Ok, so I had another friend of mine cape him off for me tonight. He cut out the lower jaw. I was figuring 4.5 YO. He thought 5 or maybe 6. So that’s cool.

Well the tape was run...

174 5/8

looks like I am an amazing judge of score on the hoof ?

I am so dang happy with this deer. Great deer and an even better time.

He even tastes good! Smoked tenderloins and 1 of the backstraps
28E5E451-7949-4A50-A4A2-30EEB8514C00.jpeg

5729360E-D1B8-4997-B53E-687FB9D6F243.jpeg

Thanks everyone for following along. It got a little bigger than I was anticipating. I appreciate all the pm’s and the comments. Nice to know we can still have a good time on here. ?
I will go on this hunt with anyone. Good luck in the draw.

Loved the whole story, thanks for that and the pics. Love typical bucks with deep forks both front and back. Way to love the whole experience and a great buck is the bonus.

Congrats on your buck! These semi-live hunt recaps on forums are always a great read! Appreciate you taking the time every day to update. Smoked tenderloins...look delicious! ?

Tremendous buck, wonderful hunt, awesome write-up!
You're nice to take us along on your adventure, thank you.
Ya dun good man!

Zeke

Good for you Jason!

Man, you have come A Long ways physically since your terrible accident, I am so happy for ya buddy.

I'm home from New Mex and will PM ya some pix

congrats

Robb

Thanks, for taking us. Wish I had caught this while it was in real time... I know you couldn't hear me cuz it was after the fact. But I was saying Chooot'Em Cooot'Em!! Way to stick with it and get it done!!

Last edited:
absolutely fantastic! Not that the score matters in this case with such a great hunt, but I'm going to say over 180 also, maybe 185ish, love those deep forks

Awesome. Thanks for taking us along. Congrats on a beautiful buck. You are an inspiration and I wish you many more successful hunts. Thanks again for sharing.

Simply awesome. The story leading up to the final day/kill was suspenseful to say the least. Made me feel like I was in the back seat watching it all unfold. Time well spent and congrats on a stud buck.

In a year full of bad news, this was quite an inspiring read. Tremendous respect for you and your perseverance to overcome your challenges.
Thank you for sharing.

Good one. Way better than any I saw this year in Region G.
To be honest if I could still pack into G I would have hunted there. I have had a G tag 3 times before points. It was awesome. It has seen better days, but still an incredible hunt.
Thanks by the way.

Thanks for coming back sharing the video and the story. I hope you have a great hunt like that this fall as well.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom