WY big storm

Porkchop

Just my observation and looking for confirmation... we had a big storm roll through western WY last week with lots of wind and early snow. None of the deer I watched this summer were in the same places. A lot of deer rubbed velvet. It seemed that the deer were fast forwarded from full on summer to deep fall behavior. I found deer, but they were all new deer to the area. Anybody else get turned upside down by that storm? Or have any explanation?

Here in Utah I’ve been hunting at 10,000 feet and we got a little bit of snow and the day after the storm everything was normal but ever since then all the deer have disappeared from where I’d be seeing them every day, not sure if that help any but I’ve been seeing a similar situation down here

Around here their behavior changed with the storm as well. It also turned on the elk up in the high country. :)

I agree that it also has something to do with velvet coming off. Happens the same every year but not necessarily the same time.

Around 80% of the bucks I've been watching shed their velvet just before the snow. From my observation they usually change their behavior and location a bit after they shed their velvet. At higher elevations they likely change things up even more after the first decent snow.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom