WY elk newbie...

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I just started researching WY elk and I currently have 3 NR points. I am thinking of applying for a tag in 2023. Is there a chance I'd be able to draw a general type 1 or 2 tag with that few points? Looking at the tags allotted for units, it is deceiving. Looks like there are not many tags given out. If anyone has any advice on areas to research where a tag is feasible with 5 NR points, I would really appreciate some help. I am a NR so would not be competing for tags with you. :) Thanks a ton!

Steve

You should be a lock in for a general tag. When the time gets closer you can see your odds on other areas.

I found it interesting a new elk season offered last fall had ZERO non residents apply for it. There were a few bulls killed over 350 and 1 over 365. Hell hardly any residents put in for it. Those units are out there!

Maybe I am looking at the wrong reports. Ugh.....Thanks for the heads up.
I am looking at the NR Reg Random Draw Demand Report. Is that not for General tags?
There’s random draw odds, draw with points and special draw with points.

Look at the regular PP demand report, Special PP demand report, then use the "random" reports for both of those to see your odds of drawing in the "random" pass and also if you would have a chance at a 2nd choice hunt.

= this video is only for the preference point side of the draw =

After the PP draw, you drop to the random draw and your 1st choice is still active. Looking at the random odds report will show the random draw quota and the remaining 1st choice apps that came from the pp side. Quota minus 1st choice apps gives you odds for drawing in the random with your 1st choice.
Any remaining quota will be for the 2nd choice apps.

this shows your 2nd choice odds

WY-2014-2ND choice odds.jpg

So all of those 4 applicants drew? No one put in as a first choice so the 2 2nd and 2 3rd apps drew is how I read that. Or those represent the "leftover" tags after the 1 st draw?

The two 2nd choice guys drew in the 2nd choice pass, then they do the 3rd choice pass. They do Special first, then Regular.

Are you thinking about a guided hunt? If so that opens up a lot of options for good hunts on the general tag. You would have plenty of points to draw in the regular draw. Just start making arrangements now as those book up early.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom