WY Elk Unit 24 or 62

cgardeb76

Looking for some feedback from DIY hunters that have been in either unit 24 or 62 in WY for Elk. A friend and I are -1 off max points and are looking to put in for one of these two units. We have hunted 24 in the past for mule deer so are familiar with the area (more of the lower sage country). Our first choice would be to archery hunt then go back if necessary with rifle.

Initial thoughts are:

62 - bigger bulls, bears, rugged country, less access, tough backpack hunt
24 - bulls, no bears, lots of roads, easy access

We have no issue hiking into nasty stuff but would appreciate some perspective from others that have had boots on the ground.

Thanks

So if you have hunted 24, you should have an idea of where the bulls hang out......... Go with that? Or if you don't like what you've seen, go 62.

Why do bears matter?

Dude.. you pretty much answered your own question. You want easy and a 300ish bull or you want the chance at something better with more effort and risk? Not sure what you want anyone else to tell you. You already summed it up!

I’ve hunted 60 guided in bear country and 24 DIY. I much prefer the 24 hunt and bulls I took were about same caliber. I have no experience in 62, guess depends on what type hunt you want. I personally can’t find any reason to go back into insanely unmanaged bear country.

No experience in 24. 62 is great I hunted it twice. You do not need to backpack in but it will save a long hike each day. There are a lot of griz but never heard of a problem. My intel is almost 10 years old but I would go back in heart beat. If you draw I can give you good intel.

Thanks Don. Based on this thread and PM's with others it is clear 62 better suits our style of hunting more than 24.

We hunted 62 the last two days of archery and the first week of rifle. We had a great Hunt, but wish we would have done it the other way around, and spent the bulk of our hunt with the bows.

Hunted 24 for elk this year. Archery started off slow but the last week was crazy fun. Passed on several decent bulls but could never get a shot at the ones I wanted. Opening morning of rifle I setup where some good bulls were bedding and was able to take one. PM me if you want to chat.
IMG_3695.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom