WY general elk for AK caribou

hoopscoach

I am looking for some WY general elk tag help. I will be in Alaska from late May to mid August so I'm not able to do much scouting for my WY general elk tag. The perfect scenario would be to hunt/camp with a WY resident that knows an area really well and hunts several miles from any roads either on horseback or on foot.

In return, I would take you caribou hunting along the haul road in AK this year or next. This would be an archery or rifle hunt from August 3rd-10th(ish). All you have to do is fly to Fairbanks, get your license and a few groceries. I will pick you up there and we will drive the Dalton Highway north until we find caribou and start hunting. I also plan to take a raft this year to float the Sag river which is an excellent way to find caribou. I did this trip last year and it was a blast. If you are interested, send me a PM and I can give you more details.

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud"

Why are you hunting the haul road so early? Caribou are balled up on the coast keeping away from the black flies. I have done this hunt a bunch of times and have killed some giants! Just be ready to work hard if you use a rifle, got to be five miles off road.

I hunted it last year the first week of August with great results! The migration was underway and i saw several awesome bulls killed a couple hours south of Deadhorse. I'm told it gets better later in August but I'm a teacher in Colorado so I have to be back home for work by mid August. I spend my entire summer break working, hunting and fishing in Alaska. As a matter of fact, I arrived yesterday and can't wait to start hunting bears!
Hoopscoach

Lucky dog, wish I was up there with you. My buddys are heading up to the haul road on Augest 25th, you will probably have to be in school by then. Good luck with the bears hope you kill some awesome critters, and if you don't who cares you are in Alaska!you will have to hit me up when you get back I have some connections in WY for elk. Would love to see what you kill up there!

In case anyone was curious, here is the caribou I got on August 5th. I have a friend going the first week of September and last time I checked, he still had a spot open.

2012Alaskacaribou.jpg

WOW..........cool picture!!!!!!! Congratulations, I talked with you earlier this summer. Is that a pipeline in the background. I bet you really enjoyed Alaska! Again, congratulations!

Where the snow and wind. LOL Nice looking bull.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Gator,
Fortunately, there's not a lot of wind and snow the first week of August which is when I prefer to go. Antlers in velvet and the meat simply can't be beat.

Thanks gb22. I think I will enter it in the MM photo contest this year so, vote for it!

Hoopscoach

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom