WY Grizzly Season Proposal

BuzzH

Long Time Member
http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/news/...cle_232a5ac2-073e-59db-8d57-869a4fb494c0.html

The first Wyoming grizzly bear hunt in over four decades will target 24 animals if commissioners who oversee the the state's wildlife sign off on a proposal released Friday.

A topic of fierce controversy, the hunt is being devised in a way that state officials hope limits the chance of the bold large carnivore being shot in public view, or killed adjacent to Grand Teton National Park. A no-hunting zone will abut the east boundary of the park, and throughout the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem it will be illegal to kill a grizzly within a half-mile of a named highway, Wyoming Game and Fish Department Chief Warden Brian Nesvik said.

?The intention is to address public concern that was focused on there being hunting and wildlife viewing going on at the same time,? Nesvik said.

Half of the overall statewide quota ? 10 male bears and two females ? is being distributed among six hunt zones that fall within a 19,279-square-mile ?demographic monitoring area? in the Yellowstone region?s core. Another 10 boars and two sows will be targeted outside this area, in outskirts reaches of the ecosystem where the federal government is not imposing limits on hunting.

The rules on hunting outlined in the draft regulations greatly differ inside and outside of the monitoring area, which encompasses Jackson Hole.

To ensure no more than two female bears are killed, a maximum of two hunters at a time will be allowed afield within the monitoring area.

?People will put in for a license, but we will only take the top two on the list,? Nesvik said. ?They would essentially be able to choose any of those six hunt areas up until the time either the female mortality limit is reached, or the sub-quota for that particular area is reached.?

Outside of the monitoring area, the dozen hunters who draw a license will not be subject to the same two-at-a-time system. Carrying the state-issued texting device will also not be required outside the monitoring area.

?Outside the DMA,? Nesvik said, ?we'll issue licenses like we would an elk area.?

The legal season for grizzly bears will be mid-September through mid-November, and the state has for now ruled out a springtime hunt, which exists for black bears.

>Will there be NR tags?

Yes, if a lawsuit doesn't stop the hunt.

Price tag is a bit high...6K for a NR.

It's about time and lets hope a lawsuit doesn't stop the hunts from occurring but I'm not holding my breath. Liberals always think it's best to let nature take care of itself but they're about 200 years to late for that. We need to manage our wildlife and wildlands and see the benefit or problems with that model depending on how good those that manage it are. I'll put in for a tag and dig the cash up somehow if I draw.

Sounds like in the monitoring area, if the first two hunters can't kill a bear, no one else gets a chance. Am I getting that correct?

LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-18 AT 07:32PM (MST)[p]>Sounds like in the monitoring area,
>if the first two hunters
>can't kill a bear, no
>one else gets a chance.
>Am I getting that correct?
>

That's not how I read it Jeff. It sounds like they don't want to take any chances that the female max of two is exceeded, so they will only allow two hunters at a time so they can be exact on what is shot. Then when those two are done the next two get their chance and it continues until the end of the season or the total number of 12 is met. It appears from the paragraph below that Nesvik is saying the only way the season would end quickly would be if the first hunters screw up and kill two females.

?Let's just say that the first two hunters harvest male bears,? Nesvik said. ?When they're done, then we'll send the next two guys or gals out the door. And we'll keep doing that until either the season ends, the female mortality limit is reached or the total mortality of females and males is reached.?

That example is IF hunters are successful. I'd have to assume what JM77 also reads, If hunters are not successful those further down the list will not be going hunting. Only 2 hunters at a time in the entire DMA. If one hunter fills their tag, I'd assume the next one is up. With that format, proposed season dates and knowing how hard it is to hunt some of the areas in the DMA, I see the full limit of 12 being difficult to obtain.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-18 AT 10:56PM (MST)[p]>I see the full
>limit of 12 being difficult
>to obtain.

Really?? Hell, if a guy can't find a bear, all he has to do is shoot his rifle. The Bears will come to him!

Thanks for the information Buzz. I have been telling everyone that asks me that I doubted that there would be a grizzly bear hunt anytime soon. I admit now that I may be wrong. Lawsuits will tell the story on what actually happens on the ground.

When delisting was being studied, the eco-elites were demanding a buffer zone for hunting around YNP. I mentioned in one hearing, how tough I thought that was going to be in reality. I am concerned with a buffer zone around YNP and also around the highways. I guess you will have to have a GPS to comply with the law. I can't see a bunch of signs appearing that mark the buffer zones around the east boundary of YNP. That is a long and tough line to determine and mark. The USFS and others can't even mark the wilderness boundaries in most of the areas I hunt. The biggest problem bears are those that wander too close to people. That will generally be within a half mile of the highway. Last year while sheep hunting, I ran into 6 grizzly bears in the backcountry all within a mile or so of the YNP East boundary. That was all in the course of one day.

I am sure all the details will be filled in. My guess is any grizzly bear hunter with a tag, will want to be accompanied by the bear biologist. I also wonder if the tag numbers will be altered by the number of bears harvested by Game and Fish for being a problem, those hit by vehicles, and those that are killed in self defense. Of course, if the season is a long one, the bear guys at Game and Fish could just haul a hunter with a tag to the location of a grizzly bear being a problem. That reminds me of an old friend who shot a black bear that had a bee box stuck on his head. He had it mounted with the bee box on it's head.

This should be real interesting. just sayin...mh

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom