WY NR Elk Application Question

elkhunterUT

Very Active Member
I posted this in the Wyoming forum, but thought I would post here as well to get additional input:

I am trying to figure out my options for 2011 WY elk and wanted to get some input from those that have more experience with the Wyoming draw than I do.

I have 3 NR points and have been planning to draw a Limited Quota unit at some point in the future. I was recently invited to go on a WY General elk hunt and would love to go, but don't want to lose my 3 points to a general tag.

Is it an option for me to put a Limited Quota elk unit as my first choice, and General elk (regular price) as my 2nd choice and retain my 3 points if I draw the general elk tag?

Thanks for any guidance you can give me!

Yes-----

If you draw a 2nd choice tag you do not use/loose any points.

Yes.......

If you do not draw your 1st choice you will get a point--if you do the point option.

Robb

So there are no issues with combining a limited quota hunt unit as my first choice and the general hunt (regular price) as my second choice on my application?

For some reason, I thought I read or saw somewhere that you cannot combine the two on the same application. I hope that is not the case and my scenario will allow me to retain my points if I don't draw my first choice limited quota unit, but still possibly hunt the general hunt as a second choice.

Thanks,
Cory

Cory---Trust Robb, as he is spot on! Put in for a hard tag as #1, and the Gen as your #2, as well as paying for another PP on your application. If you get your #1, F&G will refund the PP money you sent in with the application and if you don't get #1 you will have 3 PPs for 2012 whether you draw the General Tag or not as #2. I have been hunting Wyoming since 1994 and know my way around their system pretty well---MIKE

I responded on the Wyoming thread...but the way I understand it is you would not draw the "Gen" tag as a second choice. It is not undersubscribed(in the regular drawing). If you miss your limited draw you won't be hunting in WY unless you put an undersubscribed hunt as your second choice(such as type 4's) or hunt reduced price.

If you were to choose special draw you might better your odds of your limited choice and you would in all likelihood draw "Gen" as your second choice. Check out allotted tags versus first choice special applicants. Special elk tags are in the neighborhood of ~$1,100.

Makes sense about the general hunt not being undersubscribed in the regular draw-thanks guys for the info!!

Looks like I won't be hunting Wyoming unless I get lucky and draw my limited quota unit in the regular draw.

I would love to be able to spend the $1,100 for the special draw, but can't justify that money with the other hunts I am hoping to go on and apply for.

Thanks,

Cory

It doesn't cost any more to put the Gen Elk as 2nd choice on your 'cheapie fee' application......Go For It Cory! ha

Although I feel OSB-----is pretty dang accurate!

Ya just never know year from year......

Robb

Yep, I also made posts on the other thread. There is no way that you can draw that general tag as a second choice if the draws stay the way they have been.

It depends on where you are trying to draw a limited quota tag. With 3 points you are kind of in no-mans-land when it come to drawing the popular areas (30, 31, 100). Area 31 last year there were over 400 applicants with points ahead of you. With only 6 tags (cheapie fee), you are looking at a LONG, LONG wait.

I'd say use your points and go on the general hunt. There were some very nice bulls taken in the general units in SW Wyo last fall. By using your points on a general, you can go elk hunting every other year and learn the area.

I'm getting to the age where I'd rather hunt than collect points. Even is it means hunting in "lesser" areas.

If you applied for the expensive tag (Special), you could use the general as your 2nd pick. It was undersubscribed last year. You could keep your points, and go hunting. Of course, it is the expensive way to do it.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-11 AT 11:24PM (MST)[p]
That is not correct! There is no way you are going to draw that general tag on a second choice if the draws stay the way they were in 2010. All the General tags went out to people who had it as their first choice in all of the drawings because the remaining tags in that Special draw were put over in the other one. That used up all the tags before anyone else was able to have a chance at any. I also have to respectfully disagree with the gentlerman that said he should use 3 PPs on a General tag. He has been saving them for a coveted limited quota tag and it would be a waste of money when he is so close to drawing one of the best units in the state in the next year or two. That is the difference in what he wants to do and what you would do to hunt more often. It sounds like he has other states going and that's probably why he is doing that. He is really in an impossible situation because he doesn't want to use his points for that General tag.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-11 AT 03:10AM (MST)[p]You might take a look at the draw odds.....

There were 351 GEN tags for the "special" random draw,
43 went to 1st choice applicants,
126 went to 2nd choice applicants.

It was under subscribed by a substantial margin.

A GEN tag is a guaranteed draw for a 2nd choice in the Special side of the draw.

Calm down fella's.......

Deep breath-----

I think Cory got the main answer he was looking for.

It will be fine.

Robb

Wow, TOPGUN! You sure don't know much about Wyo's draw. I could argue with you about how being 2 years back from max points makes it a very long wait to draw the best/most popular units, but you're obviously much smarter than I am. Best of luck in 2011 to all that apply!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-11 AT 12:05PM (MST)[p]Gentlemen: I stand corrected and wish to apologize in regards to the one draw! It was almost 1AM here in MI when I made my post and my 63 year old old eyes were not focusing too well on the computer screen when I was looking at the numbers in that draw!!! 43 1st choice, 126 2nd choice, and 9 3rd choice applicants all got their tags in that draw, leaving 173 tags undersubscribed tags that would have gone into another pool. Somehow I came up with incorrect numbers on that draw and I still don't know what I did---SORRY ABOUT THAT!!! When all applicants have been satisfied in a draw and there are still tags left is when the remaining tags are placed in the other draw according to a G&F employee I talked to on the phone the second year this PP thingy was in effect. I assume they knew what they were talking about, but who knows! This still does not seem to help the person in question because I believe he stated he does not wish to go into the expensive draw in order to get that General tag.

In regards to the comment by member dwalton---My statement was based on the fact that in other states you may wait a lifetime and not draw one of their coveted tags no matter how much money you want to spend. If a person is only two PPs behind the max in Wyoming for elk, deer, and antelope, those max PP people should be out of the draws in a reasonable amount of time in the Special Draws for most of the units to allow you to draw a tag shouldn't they? Applying in the lower priced draw you mentioned is a different story, as are all the other big game animals, but I was mainly talking about elk since we are on that forum! I'm by no means an expert, but that's what I'm reading in various booking agent's and outfitter websites, etc. Help me if you feel that is not right because I sure don't want to be making false statements to anybody on any BB! Thanks and also good luck to everyone in any draw they apply for!!!

Stand-up post TOPGUN..........

We all get a little quick on the keys now and then and hit Post Message maybe to soon!

Robb

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-11 AT 01:16PM (MST)[p]I believe you were correct in that the left over tags from the special GEN pool go back to he regular side, unless they recently changed it and put them in the July Left over tags sale. I didn't see them listed there though.

Thanks everyone for your input - hope no ones feelings got hurt over my dumb post :) I got the answers I needed and appreciate everyones help!!

Best of luck to all of you in the many upcoming draws!!

We're cool dwalton!!!

I'm sure glad I found this website last month because I can sure see that everyone on here seems to be as passionate about hunting as I am and want to help each other!!! This will not be the last mistake I make in my life, but when I'm wrong about anything I think you will all find out that I will say so and apologize! Good luck to everyone in the draws coming up over the next few months!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom