WY NR Elk Results Now Available

11 years no tag setting on the side again now out more than $550 in points odds & end fees
does make any sense ?????

The more rejections I get, the more serious my planning gets for a MT leftover tag hunt for this year. No way I'm going a 3rd year without elk hunting. I don't even care if my hunt sucks. I'm going somewhere.

I'm hunting!

Guess nobody else wanted to spend the $ for a full price cow tag.

Looking forward to my first archery hunt!

My sons and I were all unsuccessful. Now sitting on 11 points, 10 points, 5 points, and 2 points.
Another $160 donation to WY for points (luckily one of my sons still qualifies for the lower $10 youth point fee).

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-16 AT 12:46PM (MST)[p]The problem with accumulation points is that sit on the sideline watch everybody else hunt.

Moose tag took 13 year Elk may take more??? Last hunt in Wyoming was 2013

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-16 AT 01:43PM (MST)[p]You are so right...last year I cashed in max elk points, year before that max antelope, year before that 12 moose points, year before that max deer points. All I have left is sheep points. Very nice run, but I didn't want to wait 20 more years for the top areas so I hunted some lesser known units except for antelope.

I am grateful and humbled---

10 out of 11 years in a row now-----'cheapie fee' of course!

Gen tag----now to figure out which of the 54 Gen units to hunt ~~ NOT! haha

congrats to you all that drew.

Robb

LAST EDITED ON Feb-27-16 AT 09:27AM (MST)[p]Hope you guys have fun up in the BigHorns, as there is no better place to be in September than up there. I may be up in 45 again for the third year in a row to help a fellow on his Type 9 tag if the other things I have going allows it. John, you must be living a good life as I see you were one of the two out of 13 guys with 7PPs that drew tags and that was odds of 15.38%. Good going, as I'm surprised 45-9 dropped that low with 10PP being the max in the draw this year!

TG - Last year nobody put in for the Type 9 with max points which also surprised me a little but the Type 9 is not quite as popular as the Type 1. I was hoping for the long shot random draw but now I have no pressure and I'm just as excited about tagging along with my buddy!

>TG - Last year nobody put
>in for the Type 9
>with max points which also
>surprised me a little but
>the Type 9 is not
>quite as popular as the
>Type 1. I was
>hoping for the long shot
>random draw but now I
>have no pressure and I'm
>just as excited about tagging
>along with my buddy!

Yep; I just looked at the last three years and in 2014 there was 1 max PP applicant, none last year, and now two this year. It seems to go that way with the Type 9 tag where most of the tags are taken by guys with one or 2 PPs below max like this year and only 2 tags were left at the 7PP level. I've never applied for a bull tag anywhere because I don't have room in this small house to put even a Euromount, so I just buy an occasional cow tag and help others chase the bulls around! I think the Type 1 tags are that way because guys can hunt the last two weeks of September on an archery permit and then fall back on the rifle season if they don't fill. The only problem with that is the unit has so many people in it from 9/15 on that it's not my cup of tea seeing all that human activity. A guy should be able to get it done the first two weeks in a normal season when it's really not crowded if you know what you're doing.

Unit 54-1 for me...wow. I had Max points in the "special" preference points pool. Saved up all these points and this was the first time I've actively tried to draw a tag. I guess last year was around 15-20% draw for NR with Max points in Unit 54-1. I have this WY bull tag, an upcoming NV elk tag with 8 points, and eventual elk hunts in AZ/UT with 5-6 points now. These are my 4 chances at monster bulls in my lifetime. Maybe I'll draw the NV tag in the next few years, UT in the next 10 years?, and AZ in the next 10 years?. Not a bad way to stretch these hunts out. My 10 points in Colorado are in no-mans-land, and even with 15+ points I'd be hunting 300" bulls. I'm pretty excited for WY. Never been on a guided hunt either, so this should be pretty fun.
CRcountry

I'd say wow like you did Chris! You were one of the two guys out of 8 applicants with 10PPs to draw those tags for a 25% odds. Have fun and I hope you can take advantage of that tag and kill a big bull!

Thanks-I contacted Josh at Shoshone Lodge a couple months ago and he really got me excited about Unit 54-1 vs. 56/58/59. My goal was never to shoot a 370" bull anyway, so all of the areas listed above fit the 340-350" type hunt that I was looking for...so why wait on ridiculous odds. If the stars line up, and there's a chance at a bigger bull over 350", then of course I'll stick at it....but man it would be tough to pass up a solid 350" bull! My biggest is a 305" DIY bull in NM. After I looked at the crazy odds of 59-1/56/58, I switched my strategy and locked my sights on 54-1 with much better chances of getting a tag. I figured I'd rather have a realistic chance of drawing a tag than pray I get a tag at 5-10%.

If you can't be happy with one like this that went 357 3/8", then something is wrong, LOL! This is the best one I've helped my buddy take and he's huge, but I can't say what unit.

13202010trip087.jpg

>As my witness: I wouldn't pass
>that bull up on the
>first hour of a 10-day
>hunt.

I too have 54-1. good luck, see you up there!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-27-16 AT 06:44PM (MST)[p]We never saw that bull at all during the September bow season in 2010. We were back out before daylight opening morning of rifle season and set up in one of our better spots to glass and the weather was spitting rain and there was fog in the distance. As it started getting light we spotted an animal on the hill to the sw out about 700 yards and then another one. We couldn't tell if it was a couple of cattle until it started getting a little lighter and they started down the hill to a little water hole. John had swaros and said he was sure it was elk and in another minute or so said he was sure they were both bulls. Another minute or two passed and sure enough we could tell they were both decent bulls and it looked like they might pass by too far out heading for a known bedding area on private land. We rolled off the little spot where we were on so we couldn't be seen and scurried toward the bedding area and slipped up on the next little hill to where we could see them again and here they came. By then they were out at about 350 yards and we could see the better bull was in the lead and John got set up with his bipod and as soon as the bull turned somewhat broadside John hit him and he went right down and then tried to get back up on his front legs. He was then head on and John put another one right in his chest and that was it. We had no idea he was as good as he was because of the dim light and fog that was rolling in. We got some quick pictures and then the fog rolled in heavy the rest of the day along with a steady rain that made it about as miserable a day as I've been out in. We made two 1 1/2 mile trips to the truck and had to leave the last load for the next morning as we thought we might come down with hypothermia as wet and cold as we were. That bull's rack has the nicest color of any we've ever seen out there, as most seem to be a lot lighter color. He was also so perfect in symmetry that I don't believe he lost more than 3 or 4 inches of deducts.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom