WY NR elk results ?

Which is a good thing.

If NR's would learn to apply when they're first able to draw a particular tag...point creep would be less of an issue.

For the record, I was one of those guys for my first WY bull moose, I left 3 points on the table and was the highest point applicant to draw a tag in 2015.

That definitely screwed up the rest of the applicants, and caused a hunter in the lower end of the preference draw to miss his tag in the unit I applied for in 2015.

One way to slow point creep would be to force applicants to actually apply for a tag versus just being able to buy points.
I like that idea maybe a little leniency and at least be required to apply every other year

Wow a very complicated process for sure!

With a quota of 100 tags, 16 NR 124-4 tags should have been available 60% (9.6 rounded to 10) should have been allocated to the Regular Preference Point Draw and 6 to the Special Preference Point Draw. However the draw report shows there was a quota of 12 (+2 tags for the Regular Preference Point Draw).

Based on the process flow provided, the non-issued 6 each 124-4 cow tags in the Special NR Preference Point Draw would have been added to the NR Regular Preference Point Draw which should have resulted in 16 tags. But given there was only a quota of 12 so I would assume the missing 4 tags went to landowners? I haven't been able to locate the LO draw report on-line so it is hard to tell.

I drew the one available tag in the Special Random as a second choice with 1 in 4 draw odds but had always assumed that the undersubscribed tags from the Special Preference Point Drawing would roll over to the random which is not the case.

Thanks for clarifying the process it is much appreciated!

Horniac
The other day when I was sending my comments to the Task Force, I found a link on that website that showed all the landowner tags for every LQ unit; all species (DEA) . I believe it also showed res and NR. Check it out

The other day when I was sending my comments to the Task Force, I found a link on that website that showed all the landowner tags for every LQ unit; all species (DEA) . I believe it also showed res and NR. Check it out
Interesting for sure never knew how many nonres landowners there was !!

i was checking out the Task Force documents this morning and found that list. Thanks!

Horniac

Heck if I was a nonresident I would be pizzzzed off at the nonres landowners I seen 1 unit on that list where nonres took 70% of nonres quota even though it was only 10 total 7 out of 10 is pure nonsense!! I know I’m not thrilled at some of the numbers as a resident.

Last edited:
Successful! Unit 40 LE rifle any elk. Used my 9 NR points to draw this tag. I was attracted to this unit with 85% public land with no wilderness that would be excluded to me. Success rate is 40% + or- and no grizzly's to deal with. At my age I will not re-enter the P-point game. This is all part of a strategy to use up any preference points across three states before I get too old to use them. Congrats to all who managed to draw a tag!
LaGriz

Which is a good thing.

If NR's would learn to apply when they're first able to draw a particular tag...point creep would be less of an issue.

For the record, I was one of those guys for my first WY bull moose, I left 3 points on the table and was the highest point applicant to draw a tag in 2015.

That definitely screwed up the rest of the applicants, and caused a hunter in the lower end of the preference draw to miss his tag in the unit I applied for in 2015.

One way to slow point creep would be to force applicants to actually apply for a tag versus just being able to buy points.
That would certainly help point creep if you still required people to front the cost of the tag, I doubt that WYGF would ever go for it though,because there would be a mass reduction in people buying preference points.

Mark

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom