WY NR elk results ?

Anaconda

Very Active Member
When are we expecting official results to post ?

I haven’t applied in Wyoming in 20+ years.

Back then, results were up the end of February.

This year I put in for an elk tag that I think I should draw.

I would like to start planning.

I'm leaving for Wyo this early AM for the week.

I won't be able to check my Results until I get home.

I don't log in to any accounts while using out of network/vacation Cabin rentals WiFi for personal acct's.

Robb
Back in the day I could have checked yours and called u. The new system security makes that tougher. Good luck

Unrelated sort of. I think WY may be the worse state I apply in. Overall. how long for results, website, points system, applying and not getting a point and having to purchase later. First thing I applied for this year and still no results. WAFJ

Unrelated sort of. I think WY may be the worse state I apply in. Overall. how long for results, website, points system, applying and not getting a point and having to purchase later. First thing I applied for this year and still no results. WAFJ
Definitely frustrating! Especially when Nevada can do all their species with a 10 day turn around.

I would agree with you but Arizona exists. I do 8 states and by far they are behind in every aspect.

Don't apply, you wont be missed.

There were valid reasons for moving the draw date back, and myself and JM77 that posts here a lot made that happen. Mostly at the request of the biologists and for better data to set quota's as well as making the draw fair for both R and NR hunters regarding the tag splits and commission approved seasons.

if you want to b itch, call the Wyoming Outfitters and Guides Association and talk to Sy, he's the one that pushed for the early application dates.

Oh, and your state is a real jewel, NR's can't apply for cow tags and you've handed outfitters and landowners everything they've asked for.

Talk about a Joke...go look in the mirror.

There were valid reasons for moving the draw date back, and myself and JM77 that posts here a lot made that happen. Mostly at the request of the biologists and for better data to set quota's as well as making the draw fair for both R and NR hunters regarding the tag splits and commission approved seasons.

if you want to b itch, call the Wyoming Outfitters and Guides Association and talk to Sy, he's the one that pushed for the early application dates.

Oh, and your state is a real jewel, NR's can't apply for cow tags and you've handed outfitters and landowners everything they've asked for.

.....don't forget the Jennings Law in NM.

NM definitely has its own problems.

But WY GFD shouldn’t be able to commandeer 15 weeks of the application season just so Sy (WY OGA) and the biologists can each have their way…

C☆ck-blocking the other states for 15 weeks isn't playing nice.

And making me log back in to buy DEA points later in the year is MT and AZ level of stupid.

NM definitely has its own problems.

But WY GFD shouldn’t be able to commandeer 15 weeks of the application season just so Sy (WY OGA) and the biologists can each have their way…

C☆ck-blocking the other states for 15 weeks isn't playing nice.

And making me log back in to buy DEA points later in the year is MT and AZ level of stupid.
You aren't forced to apply and your application won't be missed either.

It's about properly managing my public wildlife, your convenience or lack there of is of no concern.

v/r

Hope your not all mad but I did a took the ol super cub out for a stroll yesterday and in my findings there’s not enough elk in Wyoming except over east in the mostly private units where they are to thick so I’m having game and fish issue every NR those tags in place of the regular draw and hold off with releasing results today cause as a res I feel discriminated against having to wait till June. Don’t worry though us res will take care of the rest of the states quotas ??, Good luck in the Draw to everyone!!!! ??
PS . Don’t forget your ladders !!!

WR Special like usual....Jones County
David
I forgot you had some property that you hunted in Jones. It was a pretty dry winter here and still pretty dry out west this spring. Good luck.
Also, Congrats on the ibex tag!!!! It is a fun hunt. One of my sons drew the NR youth tag when he was 14.

Unbelievable!!! I drew unit 100-1 in the random pool!! I hope it’s as great as the last time!
116E53C4-F82A-4841-9A30-D8ED5AB101F3.jpeg

Thankfully nobody gives a crap what a blowhard like you thinks.
Same old losers that turn everything into a pissing contest.

What kind of miserable internet weirdo lurks around waiting to start sh!t with people they dont even know.

Thankfully nobody gives a crap what a blowhard like you thinks.
Same old losers that turn everything into a pissing contest.

What kind of miserable internet weirdo lurks around waiting to start sh!t with people they dont even know.
What type of people complain that a State cares about their wildlife enough to gather winter data, classification data, harvest stats, and for their commission to approve seasons before they hold their drawing?

Which also allows NR's to apply for any new commission approved seasons, rather than getting ripped off and all the tags going to Residents the first year. Or because the biologists were wasting time and being forced to hold a statewide meeting for the elk packet.

Why not ask the questions of why the draw was pushed back before throwing a fit about your inconvenience?

It was for several good reasons, that the commission agreed with us on. Things that benefited the wildlife, department, and Resident and Non Resident hunters.

Oh, and JM77 and I worked to make that change, you're welcome, in advance.

v/r

Last edited:
Are the quotas shown on the draw odds report and thus the draw odds not accurate then due to landowner tag allocation?

Horniac
I don't believe landowner tag numbers are published, but if you look at the commission approved quotas and calculate 16% of that, it will tell you nr total allocation.

Take that number subtract total nr tags from the draw odds (minus any over allocation via party apps) from all 4 draws (random, points regular and special) that number is the landowner tags issued.

I don't believe landowner tag numbers are published, but if you look at the commission approved quotas and calculate 16% of that, it will tell you nr total allocation.

Take that number subtract total nr tags from the draw odds (minus any over allocation via party apps) from all 4 draws (random, points regular and special) that number is the landowner tags issued.
Thanks for the explanation.

So then 16% of the commission approved quota of 70 tags for any elk 124-1 = 11.2 tags so I am assuming it would round down to 11 NR tags max. 60% of those tags (6.6 round to 7) then go to the regular draw leaving 4 for the special draw. Then 25% of those allocations should go to the random draw as follows:

11 tags total NR max tags available

Reg pref point tags = 5
Reg random tags = 2
Special pref point tags = 3
Special random tags = 1

Draw odds report shows a 3 tag quota/awarded in the regular preference point draw and 1 in the random. For the special preference point draw there was a 3 tag quota/awarded in the special preference point draw and 0 tags for the random.

In summary then, there were 7 tags available to NR applicants in the draw meaning 4 of the possible 11 NR tags (36%) went to landowners if I am understanding this correctly...

Horniac

Didn't draw the bull tag I was hoping for. Thought I might be a point to point and half behind, but ended up being a full 2 points behind for a 40% chance. The silver lining is I did draw the type 6 cow/calf tag, so it'll be another year of learning the unit and education for when my name is drawn.

Believe I'll apply for my son in the same unit for deer. Possibly might be able to draw a doe tag and have some company.

Another draw question if anyone knows the answer.

In the report below, there was a quota for 6 NR 124-4 cow tags In the special draw. There were understandably no 1st choice applicants for the higher priced special tag.

My understanding is that no one’s second choice is looked at in the preference point drawing rounds so that any remaining tags are available to residents in their drawing.

So, in this example the 6 remaining tags go into the resident drawing as opposed to say dropping into the random draw pass or the leftover tag drawing. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Horniac

C1D59E66-3BD0-4FD6-8F8C-73E8DCD1BB9E.jpeg

Quota Available for Special Drawing:

7. Total Quota available after Landowner Drawings are Split for Special Draw and Regular Draw

40% (Round UP) quota to Special Drawing

60% (Round DOWN) quota to Regular Drawing

8. Special Drawing Quota is Split for Preference point Drawing and Random Drawing

75% (Round UP) Special Preference Point Drawing

25% (Round DOWN) Special Random Drawing

9. Special Preference Point Drawing is conducted

Quota balance is held to be made available for the Regular Drawing

Quota is not rolled to the Special Random Drawing

10. Special Random Drawing is conducted

Quota Available for Regular Drawing:

11. New Quota balance is calculated for each hunt area

Original 60% for Nonresident Regular Drawing

Plus quota balance from the Nonresident Special Preference Point Drawing

Plus quota balance from the Nonresident Special Random Drawing

12. Quota balance available for Nonresident Regular Drawing is split for Preference Point Drawing and Random Drawing

75% (Round UP) Regular Preference Point Drawing

25% (Round DOWN) Regular Random Drawing

13. Conduct Regular Preference Point Drawing

Point creep sucks! My brother should have drawn the tag he wanted this year by .5 point but he missed it by one full point. I doubt he will draw it in 2023 now. I think people see the writing on the wall regarding reduced NR tags coming and just want out before even more rules change.

Point creep sucks! My brother should have drawn the tag he wanted this year by .5 point but he missed it by one full point. I doubt he will draw it in 2023 now. I think people see the writing on the wall regarding reduced NR tags coming and just want out before even more rules change.

I cashed mine in as well. Time to get hunting.

Quota Available for Special Drawing:

7. Total Quota available after Landowner Drawings are Split for Special Draw and Regular Draw

40% (Round UP) quota to Special Drawing

60% (Round DOWN) quota to Regular Drawing

8. Special Drawing Quota is Split for Preference point Drawing and Random Drawing

75% (Round UP) Special Preference Point Drawing

25% (Round DOWN) Special Random Drawing

9. Special Preference Point Drawing is conducted

Quota is not rolled to the Special Random Drawing

10. Special Random Drawing is conducted

Quota Available for Regular Drawing:

11. New Quota balance is calculated for each hunt area

Original 60% for Nonresident Regular Drawing

Plus quota balance from the Nonresident Special Preference Point Drawing

Plus quota balance from the Nonresident Special Random Drawing

12. Quota balance available for Nonresident Regular Drawing is split for Preference Point Drawing and Random Drawing

75% (Round UP) Regular Preference Point Drawing

25% (Round DOWN) Regular Random Drawing

13. Conduct Regular Preference Point Drawing
Wow a very complicated process for sure!

With a quota of 100 tags, 16 NR 124-4 tags should have been available 60% (9.6 rounded to 10) should have been allocated to the Regular Preference Point Draw and 6 to the Special Preference Point Draw. However the draw report shows there was a quota of 12 (+2 tags for the Regular Preference Point Draw).

Based on the process flow provided, the non-issued 6 each 124-4 cow tags in the Special NR Preference Point Draw would have been added to the NR Regular Preference Point Draw which should have resulted in 16 tags. But given there was only a quota of 12 so I would assume the missing 4 tags went to landowners? I haven't been able to locate the LO draw report on-line so it is hard to tell.

I drew the one available tag in the Special Random as a second choice with 1 in 4 draw odds but had always assumed that the undersubscribed tags from the Special Preference Point Drawing would roll over to the random which is not the case.

Thanks for clarifying the process it is much appreciated!

Horniac

Which is a good thing.

If NR's would learn to apply when they're first able to draw a particular tag...point creep would be less of an issue.

For the record, I was one of those guys for my first WY bull moose, I left 3 points on the table and was the highest point applicant to draw a tag in 2015.

That definitely screwed up the rest of the applicants, and caused a hunter in the lower end of the preference draw to miss his tag in the unit I applied for in 2015.

One way to slow point creep would be to force applicants to actually apply for a tag versus just being able to buy points.

Which is a good thing.

If NR's would learn to apply when they're first able to draw a particular tag...point creep would be less of an issue.

For the record, I was one of those guys for my first WY bull moose, I left 3 points on the table and was the highest point applicant to draw a tag in 2015.

That definitely screwed up the rest of the applicants, and caused a hunter in the lower end of the preference draw to miss his tag in the unit I applied for in 2015.

One way to slow point creep would be to force applicants to actually apply for a tag versus just being able to buy points.
I can't speak for all the other nonresidents but I have been trying to draw an elk tag every year but one since the preference point system was implemented. Yes there are tags that can be drawn with certainty but after waiting so long you tend to stick to your guns on the tag you are after, right or wrong.

Hopefully my turn will come at some point but until then I am happy to have a cow tag in WY this year and good tags in other states to fill my hunt schedule...

Horniac

I can't speak for all the other nonresidents but I have been trying to draw an elk tag every year but one since the preference point system was implemented. Yes there are tags that can be drawn with certainty but after waiting so long you tend to stick to your guns on the tag you are after, right or wrong.

Hopefully my turn will come at some point but until then I am happy to have a cow tag in WY this year and good tags in other states to fill my hunt schedule...

Horniac
I think that generally speaking, western hunting is getting harder and harder to do with any regularity so I'm going to take my hunts where I can find them and enjoy it while I can.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom