WY Region L Mule Deer Hunt

Kansas

Hello- I drew an archery mule deer tag for Wyoming Region L, I will be going out to hunt Sept 4th-14th.... from discussions with the sate biologist sounds like this is a tough tag to fill. If anyone else has an archery/rifle tag in this region I would be willing to trade intel on the units I hunt and deer I find and vice-versa. current units I'm targeting would be 148 and 128.... let me know if anyone is interested in sharing notes.

Thanks!

Seen your posts in the other thread. If your going into the area north/northeast of Dubois I'd hunt as high as the wilderness boundary allows you too since your a non-res. You may just have to hunt the timber transition zones in that country, could be tough. Be bear aware in that area! Or, go clear down to the southeast end and you'll be into more of the desert to pine transition zones where you may have to weave your way through some private, but look for the spring areas and you should find deer, though may have to cover alot of country. If you can find deer in more of that open country it may provide better spot/stalk opportunity. Good luck.

Seen your posts in the other thread. If your going into the area north/northeast of Dubois I'd hunt as high as the wilderness boundary allows you too since your a non-res. You may just have to hunt the timber transition zones in that country, could be tough. Be bear aware in that area! Or, go clear down to the southeast end and you'll be into more of the desert to pine transition zones where you may have to weave your way through some private, but look for the spring areas and you should find deer, though may have to cover alot of country. If you can find deer in more of that open country it may provide better spot/stalk opportunity. Good luck.
Thank you so much for your comments! Currently that is my plan is to get as high up as possible and hunt/scout from there, I would assume some of the mature bucks will still be in the high country this time of the year?? I will have my head on a swivel for bears!

Don’t forget about the Whitetail deer in region L. Though it’s certainly nothing like Region A it has a growing population. Difficult to get private access but area 171 is a great choice along with 92 and 128. Most of the archery hunters who are successful do so on Whitetail deer in those areas and Not mule deer. Have realistic expectations as typically less than 10% ever harvest an archery deer. If you truly have sights set upon mule deer I would focus on 128 but as you know it’s heavily infested with Grizz. 128 has a great late season hunt and most of those deer summer/fall in the high elevations so get as high as you can in early Sept.

Last edited:
Don’t forget about the Whitetail deer in region L. Though it’s certainly nothing like Region A it has a growing population. Difficult to get private access but area 171 is a great choice along with 92 and 128. Most of the archery hunters who are successful do so on Whitetail deer in those areas and Not mule deer. Have realistic expectations as typically less than 10% ever harvest an archery deer. If you truly have sights set upon mule deer I would focus on 128 but as you know it’s heavily infested with Grizz. 128 has a great late season hunt and most of those deer summer/fall in the high elevations so get as high as you can in early Sept.
Excellent! Thank you so much for sharing your intel. I do have a deep drive for a high country mule deer. I get to chase all the whitetails I want, but I don’t get many opportunities to hunt a mule deer. As an archer I lost my pride a long time ago so I’m fine with a 10% success rate. I’ll make the most of it and will be on constant Grizz lookout.

Hey FYI, I live in Lander and work in Riverton. If you need anything while you are here let me know. Vehicle issues, get stuck need a tow, a shower, or anything else, just look me up. I will be hunting weekend, buit not too far away...

Hey FYI, I live in Lander and work in Riverton. If you need anything while you are here let me know. Vehicle issues, get stuck need a tow, a shower, or anything else, just look me up. I will be hunting weekend, buit not too far away...
Heck yeah man! That is really cool of you to offer your hospitality, if I get in a tight spot I will do my best to get ahold of you! Good luck to you this weekend! I'm leaving KS 3am on Saturday morning :)

2626643436 im heading to unit 92 alone this fall i wouldnt mind talking to a local shoot me a text or give me a call. jon

I'm sure the seasoned mountain hunter would have had better success, I've never done a high country hunt before so I invested in some failure haha... I hunted Mt Kent for a couple days and came across limited "fresh" deer sign and I cut bait. I then finished out my hunt in unit 128 south of Dubois and got into more fresh deer sign but it was very thick country and the swirling winds and terminals kicked my butt... The deer winded me non stop before i could get close enough for a kill... The doe's were stupid and would walk right on top of me and never spooked... the elk numbers were good in both spots...

How was the 2022 season? Any updates? Will be there November 9th-19th. Have a type 1 tag. I'm used to hunting wyoming range. Hoping to hear some positive feedback. Thanks.

2022 seemed like a below average year for that area based on what I saw come out of there but who knows what this year has in store

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom