WY sheep unit 22 & 5

DonVathome

Very Active Member
I drew anyone have any info? I am a DIY NR. I have been following unit 5 for over 20 years and now need to start narrowing down a game plan, and a backup game plan.

I know a guy who drew that tag 2/3 years ago. He's actually on this site some, but he can respond if he wants.
I know there are resident sheep in the "Breaks" (22) but he shot his ram in 5 later in the season in 2' of snow.

There are some good ones every year that make it into 22! Tough to get on them tho.

268C0FAC-431F-46A8-B741-E48D9FC53AA2.jpeg

B767E8C5-1726-41F3-B791-7F34F9EA8D54.jpeg

We know some guys that have taken sheep in 5, they had bear issues.
beech did you have bear issues ?
They were fine but had to deal with some grizz in the area and hunted together because of it. They were outside the wilderness.

Good luck Don! Looking forward to your sheep hunt pics.

We know some guys that have taken sheep in 5, they had bear issues.
beech did you have bear issues ?
They were fine but had to deal with some grizz in the area and hunted together because of it. They were outside the wilderness.

Good luck Don! Looking forward to your sheep hunt pics.
I didn’t have any bear issues. Just luck I guess. I took the proper precautions and never saw a bear. Saw tons of fresh sign but never crossed paths. One memory was walking up the bottom of a drainage in a heavy snow storm with thick trees. Fresh bear tracks and pile of crap that was still steaming. That puts a guy on full alert.
In my research ahead of time before the hunt majority the guys I talked too saw bears or had some kind of bear encounter or story to tell…

Several years ago I was bow hunting in 62 for elk a few days before rifle season. I was a few miles in and when I came out of my tent after a midday siesta I saw a guy and his son glassing. He had a bear tag and his son was scouting for rifle elk. They were from Utah. I talked to them for 20 minutes or so as an elk started bugling 3/4 of a mile away. I finally decided to go after it. I got within 100 yards of a nice herd bull but that was it. Rifle season opened I hiked out got my rifle and killed my elk in a couple days.

When I arrived at the trailhead the guy and his son happened to be there. He looked at me and said he never thought he would see me again. I was confused. He explained.

He asked if I remembered side hilling through a 100 yard wide strip of pines that ran down the mountain. I did. He said they watched my enter the timber on an elk trail. Then on the other side a sow griz and 2 cubs walked into the timber heading right at me on the same elk trail. 5 minutes later I popped out on the exact trail the bears had been on moments before. She obviously chose to avoid me instead of killing me. Ignorance is bliss.

I only had a bow and pepper bear spray. I figure if the wind was in my face the spray would nicely season me for they bear to eat while I was blindly trying to shoot it with my bow.

I hunted there twice and never heard of bear issue. They were around.

A couple years later reading huntin fool WY elk story I clearly recognized a mountain I saw every day of the 3 weeks I hunted there. As I continued ot read the guy said he was from Utah and his son and drawn the same tag the year before. He killed his elk and when he returned the next day a griz ran off - it had buried his elk.

Good stuff.

There are some good ones every year that make it into 22! Tough to get on them tho.

View attachment 75659

View attachment 75660
Wow. That is a huge ram anywhere. A monster in WY. Currently I have no intention to hunt unit 22. That could change. I plan to hunt unit 5 for about 10 days starting 9/29. I will stay as long as needed (with fiancés approval). If I doi not tag I will definetly be back the last week. I have heard some of the biggest rams in 5 are killed the end of October. I have also heard weather can push sheep into 22.

Waiting until the last week scares the crap out of me. I will try like heck to get it done in early Oct. If I knew where to find sheep in 22 early - archery or early Sept I might make a trip then too.

That's an interesting tag given not a lot of hunters seem to kill their sheep in 22. Maybe the locals find them there, but I was told years ago that there are resident sheep in 22 and sometimes they kill big rams in that area. I suppose since it seems a bit hit and miss, the majority of hunters end up going later in 5 to claim their prize.
Fun times ahead!

I hunted sheep there back in 2013, I think. I would say the sheep found in 22 show up later, weather dependent. They could end up on private property with no hunting. Can be seen right off the highway at times. If you want more of a traditional hunt in wilderness type country go to 5. I got mine on the border area between 22 and 5 north of Dubois not far from where I got a nice muley a few years later. You can PM me if you want more specifics. Blank is the man to talk to regarding the Debois area if he is willing.

That's an interesting tag given not a lot of hunters seem to kill their sheep in 22. Maybe the locals find them there, but I was told years ago that there are resident sheep in 22 and sometimes they kill big rams in that area. I suppose since it seems a bit hit and miss, the majority of hunters end up going later in 5 to claim their prize.
Fun times ahead!
Probably has more to do with the idea of killing a sheep in non traditional sheep habitat doesn’t have the level of romance people are looking for in a sheep hunt.

I drew anyone have any info? I am a DIY NR. I have been following unit 5 for over 20 years and now need to start narrowing down a game plan, and a backup game plan.
Congrats on one of the coolest tags there is. I've done a fair amount of backpacking/fishing in that country, it's beautiful. I'm no help on sheep info but I'm really looking forward hearing how it plays out. Best of luck

Thanks again guys. I have a lot of calls to make so if you sent me a PM I got it and I will definitely call!

Hey Don,
So you drew a bighorn and a Shiras tag in the same year! Wow, you're gonna be a really busy guy this Summer and Fall!!! Best of luck to you on your hunts. We'll be pulling for you to get it done.

I’m the guy Little Bighorn is talking about. Great tag to have, it was so much fun. I did the hunt DIY as a NR. I’ll PM you with my contact info and give you what I learned…
Good on ya beech18!
Hunters helping hunters!

One of my very best friendships was started because of help on a moose hunt. (30Hart).

My other great friendship (of which I have very few) was just an old local dude like me who bumped into each other (LBH).

Zeke

Good on ya beech18!
Hunters helping hunters!

One of my very best friendships was started because of help on a moose hunt. (30Hart).

My other great friendship (of which I have very few) was just an old local dude like me who bumped into each other (LBH).

Zeke
The key descriptor there is “old”!

I drew bison and sheep. And I just learned I drew Utah elk - likely South slope mid rifle. I will probably have to turn that tag back in which is rough. My first tag in Utah in 22 years of applying. Sheep start 10/1 and elk 10/8. To close. Unless I drew my 2nd choice San Juan early rifle elk.

You won't get the point from this year if you surrender your UT permit. That will drop you back one point pool for future draws. That that might still be the best sacrifice for what you are holding....

I drew bison and sheep. And I just learned I drew Utah elk - likely South slope mid rifle. I will probably have to turn that tag back in which is rough. My first tag in Utah in 22 years of applying. Sheep start 10/1 and elk 10/8. To close. Unless I drew my 2nd choice San Juan early rifle elk.
It's not only raining tags...it's pouring!!

Thanks guys! Yes it was a good year but I also had a lot of points. Still better then average. I did research and thought south slope diamond mnt might issue more permits for that unit - and it was very possible NR permits would go from 1 to 2. That happened and I drew the first ever NR max pnts tag for mid rifle. Next year lots of NR with high points will see this new tag and apply. If Iturn in and I am behind because i do not get a point this year that could really hurt. That said it might still be my best option.

If we were not planning a wedding that would make a big difference too.

You won't get the point from this year if you surrender your UT permit. That will drop you back one point pool for future draws. That that might still be the best sacrifice for what you are holding....

I read that and I agree, not gaining a point hurts but I still might do it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom