WY unit 51 elk

phantom

I am looking at tag options for my wife. How much non wilderness land is available and good in unit 51. We are NR , but have horse and could pack in if needed. I am aware of the grizz issue. To me it looks like most of the good draws are wilderness. Some general info would be helpful.

Did you put in for 51?
Type one or two?
If you need any general information I would be glad to help if I can.
Good luck in the draw.

We decided to wait another year. In your opinion which is better-type 1 or 2?? My wife has a knee issue so getting in more than 3-4 miles is a challenge. We may use the horse and pack in. Being NR we can't hunt wilderness and my concern is the non wilderness area be crowded and then can we get in far enough for a good hunt. She is originally from WY and wants a good hunt, but an accident did a number on her knees 3 yrs ago. We are both experienced elk hunters. I may try to scout 51 this summer with a hike. Any general tips would be appreciated.

We hunted this a few years ago archery. Spent five days in the sunlight basin area and couldn't find an elk. Moved to the other side of the unit closer to where you would go over to cook city Montana and we got into some pretty decent elk hunting. Only one giant that I skinned and we took two five points. We did non wilderness but hiked out butts off for two weeks. Be prepared for grizzlies as there was one bad attack very very close to where we were and did have a run in with one large boar and sign was everywhere, In my opinion it was not crowded do to limited tags.

I am afraid that area 51 type one and two rifle hunts would both require lots of walking.
But a type one tag would certainly be better terrain to deal with on average.
Problem is that by October rifle season they may be tuff to find other than on a private area of land with an outfitter in the type one unit.
If a person can't climb steep ground ,then the type two tag is a bad idea.
Archery season has the elk over more area, but tuff to get on one in range without some work and a little luck.
May want to look at an outfitter hunt. Or flatter geography.

I had this archery tag this last season. Very tough hunt. Spent a lot of time up there and saw some elk but constantly had an issue with grizzlies coming into our calls and the elk up there were just not real vocal. Very very thick grizzly bear country so keep your head on a swivel.

I had this archery tag this last season. Very tough hunt. Spent a lot of time up there and saw some elk but constantly had an issue with grizzlies coming into our calls and the elk up there were just not real vocal. Very very thick grizzly bear country so keep your head on a swivel.

How big was your bull? ;)

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom