WY Unit 6 Elk

FrogLips

I'm planning a rifle elk hunt for the 2022 or 2023 season and I'm leaning towards unit 6. I talked with Timberline Outfitters and Keil Outdoor Adventures, but I haven't had much luck locating other elk outfitters for unit 6. Does anyone have experience with any of the elk outfitters in this unit?

I'd also be interested in any ranches that offer semi-guided or trespass hunts.

I appreciate any input.

Table Mountain/Scott Denny aren't even worth thinking about for elk, or anything else for that matter if you're looking for more than a very average animal.

They pound on their leases and its reflected in the lack of quality anything they kill.

I'm planning a rifle elk hunt for the 2022 or 2023 season and I'm leaning towards unit 6. I talked with Timberline Outfitters and Keil Outdoor Adventures, but I haven't had much luck locating other elk outfitters for unit 6. Does anyone have experience with any of the elk outfitters in this unit?

I'd also be interested in any ranches that offer semi-guided or trespass hunts.

I appreciate any input.
I've hunted with an outfitter that guides in unit 6. I didn't hunt unit 6, but I don't believe the quality of bulls is great there. I can pm you the guide's info if you'd like.

There are some great bulls in 6 and tons of elk .
I've seen some truly huge bulls. You need some acreage to track them down though . Once rifle opens they can herd up pretty early and head for their sanctuary ranches.

My bull was from 6 this year, he's not huge but certainly not small.
Trophy potential is there on the right property.

FrogLips I sent you a pm with some info.

You might want to speak with Tyler Willis. His outfit is Timber Canyon and located between Laramie and Wheatland in area 6. They hunt the family ranch and some other nearby ranches.

We do have a good-sized ranch in 6. The elk hunts there are what I call "iffy." That's because there's not a solid, reliable herd of elk that's there 100% of the time. We've only taken 3 elk hunters there in about the last 4-5 years and everyone has taken a bull. And all had chances at 6 point bulls. In my experience, hunting is not much fun if there are not good numbers of critters there. We do have 2 other ranches leased in 126 that also have elk. Since that's also a general area, we could "shuffle" a person or two back and forth and maybe do well.

I do think a couple of those reputation ranches like Farthings and Willis hold better elk than what we have. And I know those are solid people.

Table Mountain/Scott Denny aren't even worth thinking about for elk, or anything else for that matter if you're looking for more than a very average animal.

They pound on their leases and its reflected in the lack of quality anything they kill.
Just watch their show on TV for confirmation of what Buzz is saying. They pound the living hell our of their land

I appreciate everyone's input. I've learned a lot more about unit 6 during conversations with members and outfitters. I had no idea that private land in unit 6 can be hunted on a General tag. I don't like the idea of burning 9 points on a General tag, so I'm looking into some other units. I've haven't ruled unit 6 out by any means, so I may still end up there.

Yeah....don't burn 9 points on a gen tag. But on the flop to that 9 points is kinda no man's land. Will take a few more points to draw something very good

The Big Horns would be a good tag, but I haven't archery hunted in over 20 years. Unit 38 is one of the other units I looking into for a rifle tag.

I'm in for 38 this year. Come October I will let you know how I did. Why did I choose 38? I had been point chasing some other units and I'm getting too old to do that. I have 9 points and I can't draw 7 with 9 points. I had also been chasing 108. The issue with 108 is there are only three special tags in the PP draw. It's been jumping around 8 or 9 points. But if three people with 11 points put in you won't draw with 9. I think a hunt there with Outwest Safari would be a good hunt.

I talked to an Outfitter at The Great Outdoor show last year, talked to his guides and talked to his references and decided I needed to burn these points before I get too old to use them.

We have plenty of areas for big bulls besides area 7 . Not near the area it was years ago but still good bulls in there. You would be hunting with thousands of other hunters though. I would choose an area with perhaps only a couple hundred tags to deal with. 3,400 other hunters are too many for me. They are not all on public ground but surely affect the hunting.

WVHUNTER,
I feel your pain...seem to be staying just behind what it takes to draw your target unit...and getting older every day. My plan was to dump points on a good private land hunt, then come back in three years for a General tag. Good luck in 38!

We do have a good-sized ranch in 6. The elk hunts there are what I call "iffy." That's because there's not a solid, reliable herd of elk that's there 100% of the time. We've only taken 3 elk hunters there in about the last 4-5 years and everyone has taken a bull. And all had chances at 6 point bulls. In my experience, hunting is not much fun if there are not good numbers of critters there. We do have 2 other ranches leased in 126 that also have elk. Since that's also a general area, we could "shuffle" a person or two back and forth and maybe do well.

I do think a couple of those reputation ranches like Farthings and Willis hold better elk than what we have. And I know those are solid people.
Could I get your phone number about possible elk hunt this year thanks

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom