Wyatt's First Muley Buck

Coyotebrowntrouthunter

Finally getting around to posting my son Wyatt's success on last years September Youth tag in SE Oregon. I have been putting him in for preference and mentor points since he was 8 years old in hopes that someday he would draw a coveted muley youth tag. At 16 years of age, I figured it was time to convert his mentor points and apply for one of the 3 hard to draw OR youth tags. I won't say which unit on here (PM's welcome).

My good buddy, Logan, who lives in the area where we drew the tag helped us tremendously on this hunt. We spotted this buck one morning out in the high desert but were not overly impressed with his antlers. He was with a smaller buck and 3 other does. Wyatt was ready to go after him though! After putting him to bed, we drove around for another couple hours looking for something better. This was on day 3 of our hunt. After not finding anything bigger that morning, I asked Wyatt if he had his mind made up and he confirmed let's go get him Dad!

We threw on our gear and hiked up and over a knob. Hoping to spot him bedded so we could get setup for the shot. As it typically happens, the deer all spooked before we relocated them first. I quickly got the shooting sticks down and Wyatt behind them with our .270 Husqvarna. I asked Logan the distance and he hollered 355 yards. I dialed up the CDS on our Leupold VX-3HD and told Wyatt to hold right in the middle of him behind the shoulders. The buck finally stopped and looked back slightly quartered but mostly broadside. I whispered to calm his breathing and squeeze that trigger when ready. I was watching thru the binos waiting, waiting and waiting. The smaller buck then slowly walked towards the bigger one and I thought son you better...........BOOOM!!! The sound startled me but I could hear a hit and the buck just disappeared! I told Wyatt jack another shell in and asked Logan where he went?! Logan said He just dumped him!!! WOW great shot kid! As the other deer ran off, we waited and watched hoping the buck would not get up and take off. After 15 minutes or so, we made our way over. Took a while to find him in the terrain that looked all the same, but we finally did and Wyatt had his first Muley buck!

After high fives, we took some great pics and got him quartered up for the pack back to the truck. He was a 3x4 that taped out at 26" outside spread! It was a beautiful day with memories that will live on forever! I was so proud of my son and still think about that day often. Thank you Lord!

On a side note, I had the buck tooth aged by OR fish and game. Any guesses on his age?

Thanks all for reading!
R.D.

IMG_3185.JPG

IMG_3167.JPG

IMG_3163.JPG

IMG_3183.JPG

Finally getting around to posting my son Wyatt's success on last years September Youth tag in SE Oregon. I have been putting him in for preference and mentor points since he was 8 years old in hopes that someday he would draw a coveted muley youth tag. At 16 years of age, I figured it was time to convert his mentor points and apply for one of the 3 hard to draw OR youth tags. I won't say which unit on here (PM's welcome).

My good buddy, Logan, who lives in the area where we drew the tag helped us tremendously on this hunt. We spotted this buck one morning out in the high desert but were not overly impressed with his antlers. He was with a smaller buck and 3 other does. Wyatt was ready to go after him though! After putting him to bed, we drove around for another couple hours looking for something better. This was on day 3 of our hunt. After not finding anything bigger that morning, I asked Wyatt if he had his mind made up and he confirmed let's go get him Dad!

We threw on our gear and hiked up and over a knob. Hoping to spot him bedded so we could get setup for the shot. As it typically happens, the deer all spooked before we relocated them first. I quickly got the shooting sticks down and Wyatt behind them with our .270 Husqvarna. I asked Logan the distance and he hollered 355 yards. I dialed up the CDS on our Leupold VX-3HD and told Wyatt to hold right in the middle of him behind the shoulders. The buck finally stopped and looked back slightly quartered but mostly broadside. I whispered to calm his breathing and squeeze that trigger when ready. I was watching thru the binos waiting, waiting and waiting. The smaller buck then slowly walked towards the bigger one and I thought son you better...........BOOOM!!! The sound startled me but I could hear a hit and the buck just disappeared! I told Wyatt jack another shell in and asked Logan where he went?! Logan said He just dumped him!!! WOW great shot kid! As the other deer ran off, we waited and watched hoping the buck would not get up and take off. After 15 minutes or so, we made our way over. Took a while to find him in the terrain that looked all the same, but we finally did and Wyatt had his first Muley buck!

After high fives, we took some great pics and got him quartered up for the pack back to the truck. He was a 3x4 that taped out at 26" outside spread! It was a beautiful day with memories that will live on forever! I was so proud of my son and still think about that day often. Thank you Lord!

On a side note, I had the buck tooth aged by OR fish and game. Any guesses on his age?

Thanks all for reading!
R.D.

View attachment 78289

View attachment 78290

View attachment 78291

View attachment 78292
That’s nice! Congratulations!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom