Wyo antelope numbers

jims

Long Time Member
I just took a trip across Central Wyo and was sorely disappointed with the number of antelope I saw. There were miles and miles of country I normally see hundreds of antelope that appeared totally void. There is no wonder the WG&F has cut antelope tag numbers in many units. Has anyone else noticed this?

I have noticed the same thing, although there are still plenty of antelope just not in the same numbers as a few short years ago. In the areas I hunt in southwest Wyoming it was common to see 75-100+ bucks in a day of spotting.This last Saturday I could only muster up the low 40s in a day. I believe the fish and game is on the right track with tag reductions in areas that need a little help.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-14-14 AT 09:59PM (MST)[p] I have noticed way more fawns then last year and seen a lot antelope during the winter. so at least in a few areas I have noticed good heards and other areas not seeing so much. but while traveling across the state that's just seeing from the highway so its not a great RESULT to base off

Numbers are way down in many areas and the wygf responded appropriately by cutting tag numbers. Its still really green and if we have a mild winter fawn survival should be way better than the last 2 years.

Wyoming got too greedy for many years issuing way way too many doe tags to satisfy the complaints of ranchers. That coupled with a really bad winter and this is the result....the tag cuts were absolutely needed and I would not be surprised if more happen next year.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-15-14 AT 08:15AM (MST)[p]It seems like the winters have been somewhat mild the past few years in most of Central- South Central Wyo. I am guessing the drought has affected abortion/fawn survival more than winterkill? In 2012 I saw dying sagebrush from drought where I was hunting...never saw that before! I'm glad the WG&F cut tags or it could have made things even worse.

A lot of guys wonder why tags were so difficult to draw this year but it's obvious when tags are cut in 1/2 that it will be tougher to draw the same tags! Even with a good fawn crop this year it will likely take time for antelope numbers and tag numbers increase. Keep your fingers crossed Wyo doesn't have bad winters in the coming years or it could be detrimental!

Of course, when game numbers are down, predation takes an even bigger toll. I have noticed more fawns this summer in areas that predator control efforts took place. Also, there seems to be lots of rabbits this year as well. That should also help fawn numbers increase.

Hopefully those bunnies are slower and easier for the yotes to catch than fawns! I wonder if EHD is also taking a toll?

Looks like 2015 is off to a good start in the areas I watch. Seeing more fawns than I have in a long time. And Cliff is spot on, more rabbits than in a REAL LONG time; maybe decades.

I did see an eagle and 4 ravens cleaning up an antelope fawn on Sunday. Doe was standing about 10 yards away with a forlorn look. So predation is a factor, but I'm betting even the Muley Fanatic guys can't do much about eagles.

Also seeing a good mule deer fawn crop. Mostly concentrated along riparian areas even though it is a good year. Thought they would be more scattered and in the uplands than they are.

Bad news is the elk are out of control. We need to keep hammering them. I've never seen such a good elk calf crop.

If the mulies were doing just a fraction as good as the elk are in almost all areas it would be fantastic.

I'm tryin to kill Elk over there but you guys are just a tad bit stingy with tags and the accompanying honey holes...

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom