Wyo legislation

jims

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-15 AT 08:36PM (MST)[p]I don't claim to be an expert but it seems like Wyo hunters (both res and nonres) heads seem to be spinning trying to keep up with the latest controversial legislation? I'm curious if there is possibly something that could be improved or changed with this system? I'm not sure if this is a factor of special interest groups or possibly something else but it sure seems like this has become more and more apparent in the past couple of years? I am somewhat concerned when Wyo legislators are making wildlife and wildlife related decisions. It seems like there could be legislation that passes through this process without a whole lot of thought or knowledge of long term affects and impacts? Colorado has a wildlife commission that makes most of these wildlife related decisions. Colorado also has a 5 year plan so they aren't faced with controversial issues every year. Colo may not have a perfect system but it sure seems like something could be done to prevent a lot of wasted Wyo tax payer time and head spinning legisltation! Does anyone have a clue what's going on in Wyo?

Not a lot of popular legislation aiming to improve wildlife and habitat. Same old story, just looking out for special interests.

Seems to me much of the focus is on budgets....ie. getting more revenue, as that seems like mostly what the 60/40 bill and that one will specifically impact the NR hunters pockets. Like many states, seems that the trend is that it's more and more becoming a sport for people with the most money. Unfortunately the younger generation could be priced out of the game. Obviously they have to deal with budgets to make programs work but from what I've seen in other states, not just WY, they normally hit the NR's first since their voices are smaller and not as close to their ears!

I don't keep up much with our system. I gave up on politics. I gave up on the news due to politics. I gave up on the unioun due to there stupid selfish political ways. I only joined the union to for retirement and health insurance and the rest they can just shove it.

Anymore im just so busy to even keep up with stuff anymore. Politics will never change in this country. The stupid president we have is what really made me just not care about politics. It gets old turning on the tv and seeing American people get screwed. No need to wake up and get mad and have that dipsh$$ ruin your day or any stupid politician.

And since I work in the oil field people don't understand what the this impact really does and can do

I live next to the eastmans and we have discussed what is the perfect system. So many details to go through

If we as wyoming hunters want to see why all this nonsense occurrs in the legislature we dont have to look too far. The problem is us. We fight among ourselves, we get fired up over fringe issues but throw are hands up on important stuff, We dont focus focus on important things like public lands management and access, resource damage caused by ourselves and other public land interests,, impacts of grazing and mineral interests on habitat, and recruiting young hunters. We are failing to support and demand sound research to counter unsound practices and policies. That is why we are losing the fight in the courts to counter efforts by groups that care nothing for our interests. WE as hunters dont seem to give a flip about our own interests or the future of our sport. We dont care about about our future because we as a group our aging and dont have enough youth coming into the sport. How many kids do you see hunting anymore?

Since we dont care enough about our own interests we with few exceptions, dont make any noise when those interests are threatened. Politicians dont fear us and therefore dont care what we think. Do you think that some politician in Baggs hears any thing from anyone but neighboring ranchers and oil patch people? The good old boy network flourishs in this environment. Outdoor recreation produces almost 20 percent of our gross state product but doesnt seem to be important to the good old boys.

So now we have those trying to do away with public lands or degrading the management of those lands rising again, We have legislators advocating removing bighorn populations to make room for domestic sheep. Our federal reps and senators are supporting efforts to weaken the Clean water act so that those wetlands that feed our streams and produce our waterfowl can be drained even though our state is arid. The same folks would weaken the same endangered species act that has protected habitat for both game and non game wildlife on a landscape scale rather than directly address problems with wolves. It goes on and on.
We stay silent and impotent through all of this because we are unable to recognize what is good for all of us. We have common goals but wont fight for them. Im not talking to those groups like those conservation orgs in the sportsmen alliance or those active in contributing or volunteering their time to wildlife conservation and sound sportsmens issues. I also am not talking to those hunters that take time to find out the truth and then write letters and otherwise support our interests. We need to change the way things are done by becoming a political force to be reckoned with. We arent doing that now

You made your first post a good one that I feel is very accurate. Welcome on the site oldwyoelkhunter you have a lot to add.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom