Wyo preference points

CEG

My only question is will I have to buy a preference point for moose and bighorn sheep in Wyoming every year or will one automatically be given to me if I fail to draw a tag

Here is a breakdown-access the preference point section on Wyoming Game and Fish Website for details.

BIG GAME PREFERENCE POINTS​

Purchase a preference point only:July 1 - November 1

If a person fails to purchase a preference point during the preference point only application period or to submit an moose or bighorn sheep limited quota application for two (2) consecutive years, all accumulated points for that species will be lost.

Beginning in 2019, nonresident applicants no longer had the option to apply for preference points when submitting their initial limited quota applications for elk, deer and antelope.

Preference points are a way to improve your odds of eventually drawing a license in a hard-to-draw hunt area. You can apply for preference points for:

• resident and nonresident moose
• resident and nonresident full price bighorn sheep
• nonresident elk
• nonresident deer
• nonresident antelope

Yep, Homer is mistaken. My brother screwed that up in 2019. Pay attention to what DH56 posted. You don't want to get a point behind.

Yep, Homer is mistaken. My brother screwed that up in 2019. Pay attention to what DH56 posted. You don't want to get a point behind.
Ok so as a resident I can apply for bighorn and moose then buy a point in July and not lose any points

CEG, sorry I didn't get that you are a resident. I don't know for sure how it works for you, but if it is the same as for us nonresidents, you won't get a point if you don't buy one. By applying and getting and unsuccessful, you would not get a point. You have to purchase that later. If you do draw you lose your points and can't purchase one that year, but you do get a tag for the win.

I can't imagine that they do it differently for residents, but these game and fish departments seem to make it difficult.

CEG, sorry I didn't get that you are a resident. I don't know for sure how it works for you, but if it is the same as for us nonresidents, you won't get a point if you don't buy one. By applying and getting and unsuccessful, you would not get a point. You have to purchase that later. If you do draw you lose your points and can't purchase one that year, but you do get a tag for the win.

I can't imagine that they do it differently for residents, but these game and fish departments seem to make it difficult.
Thanks man im Pretty sure your right

Thanks man im Pretty sure your right
If you apply for moose or sheep and are a resident and do not draw, you are automatically given a point for no charge. If you don't apply for either, you have to buy the point during the purchase period.

I didn't think you were a resident, sorry.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom