Wyo unit 10

ithunter

So here we go again...first time hunting Mule Deer in Wyo since a trip in 2013...in that time we have bounced back and forth between CO and WYO hunting lope and elk. This year we burned 7 preference points on this unit. Mostly due to the age of the group going and the ease of the terrain...now they want to hunt this unit like they are after eastern whitetails...and I'm telling them they need to be out of camp before first light...but I digress its their hunt too let them do as they please.

On the other hand, I am looking for as much in formation as I can gather. I have been all over OnX for the last month and talked to the area biologist twice and he was a real nice guy. Sadly, he only shared what I already know...glass glass glass they move early and late. I understand it is been dry as a pop corn fart in that part of Wyo this spring and summer.

Would greatly appreciate any information, Thanks!

Quite a bit of snow fell over in that general area last night. 8" in Casper to the south west. A lot can happen over the next three weeks, but we usually get some moisture in Sep.

I don't know that part of the state, but get on google earth and look for terrain features, funnels, etc. Glass, glass, glass is generally the answer. Bigger bucks tend to like to bed where a couple of bounds will place a terrain barrier between them and perceived danger. Think close to the top of a hill/ridge, etc. There are exceptions of course.

@mmwb That part of the country is really striving to hit weather BINGO. Looking at the extended forecast the weather should get back to seasonal norms, but the only job you can have and be 90% wrong is weatherman so who knows. My OnX map is marked up looking like a Rorschach test...glassing points, historical watering holes, tree lined ridges, basins, and shadowed over hangs. Once thing I'm struggling with in the area is the type of terrain they will feed in...there aren't any ag pivots to speak of in that country, what are these deer eating?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rorschach_test

The "Mine Activity Areas" in Thunder Basin...are these areas hunt-able outside the fence? The National Forest MVUM only says the roads are subject to relocation due to mining activities.

This reminds me a lot of the time I drew an elk tag in the red desert...obtaining general information was difficult...everyone assumes its a slam dunk unit.

Well that was a fun hunt...we setup on the afternoon of Oct. 2 and hunted through the 8th. 4 of the 5 in our group tagged out. The weather put a damper on the hunting, highs in the upper 70s to mid 80's all week the moon wasn't helping toward the end either. We covered a lot of territory and saw a lot of animals...mostly elk geez so many elk. It is a shame the amount of poaching in the unit...the CO we talked to had already seized one bull we found a skinned out elk calf and yesterday another bull we shot and just left. Sadly no real monsters were spotted, mostly small whitetail doe and mule deer doe fawn groups. But that is why I DIY hunt the experience to do and see things I never have. I know more about hunting mule deer now then I did before last week so its progress...I appreciate all the help this year.

Now on to eastern whitetails and figuring out the next hunt.

Well that was a fun hunt...we setup on the afternoon of Oct. 2 and hunted through the 8th. 4 of the 5 in our group tagged out. The weather put a damper on the hunting, highs in the upper 70s to mid 80's all week the moon wasn't helping toward the end either. We covered a lot of territory and saw a lot of animals...mostly elk geez so many elk. It is a shame the amount of poaching in the unit...the CO we talked to had already seized one bull we found a skinned out elk calf and yesterday another bull we shot and just left. Sadly no real monsters were spotted, mostly small whitetail doe and mule deer doe fawn groups. But that is why I DIY hunt the experience to do and see things I never have. I know more about hunting mule deer now then I did before last week so its progress...I appreciate all the help this year.

Now on to eastern whitetails and figuring out the next hunt.
This post is useless without pictures. LOL. Did you report what you found to the CO?

I hunted 10 too...any pics of the deer you took? PM if you prefer.

You aren't kidding about the elk...or the poaching unfortunately.

Sry, folks no pics here...I ate tag soup.

And yes a CO was notified.

IMG_0499 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0537 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0522 - Copy.JPG

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom