Wyoming 120-1 or 19-2? thoughts or help

dvolmer

So I am entering the Wyoming non-resident elk draw this year with 11 points. I would really like to be able to draw a unit 16 tag but i am 3 or more points to low. My second choices would be 7-1 or 19-1 but they will both require 12 or more points to draw this year. All the above tags mentioned above will never come into my grasp with point creep. So I am looking at 120-1 or 19-2 elk tag option. My worry with 19-2 is that it is a later hunt in November and could have some real weather impacts due to me being three states away (over 700 miles). I am also concerned that many of the bulls will be ran into private after the 19-1 earlier hunt. I like unit 19 being so close to Casper and having options to stay in a motel during the hunt unlike 120 where most of the elk hunting is done in the northwest corner of the unit far from any towns. I am leaning towards 120-1. I have done lots of research on all of these units but have never stepped foot on any of them (it is amazing to me the lack of information on unit 120 to be found anywhere. Lots of info on units 7, 16, and 19). if drawn I will make a trip over in the spring for a week or so to get a feel for the area and then will get to the area about a week before the opener to scout (rifle hunting only). I know that 120-1 opens up the 9th of October before the deer opener on the 15th. All research that I have done has pointed towards trying to get your bull in the first 6 days before the area fills up with deer hunters. I have looked at 23-1 tag also as a possible option. 23 requires a point or two less than what I have. Any info any of you all are willing to share, positive or negative, would be much appreciated.

Yep 11 Points is no mans land, yes dump them and hunt. Flip a coin. But do archery (crossbow if you have to) and hunt in Sept either one while the elk are calm and can be found on public. Of course sept is the rut, skip the gun zoo. You will be able get within bow range in 10 hunting days or so in early Sept without two much effort depending on how big a bull your looking for. Its a better experience. Put in for a random Pronghorn tag while your at it as they open the middle of Sept in those areas also.

120 can be a good hunt and like mentioned the archery hunt is a good option. With point creep you may not draw though unless you put in for special.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom