Wyoming 36 moose

juice

Decided it was time to get out of the Wyoming moose game and drew a unit 36 tag. Anyone have any experience finding bulls there?

Sorry I'm no help, but I wish you the best of luck. I'll be in 2/30 looking for one for my father in law.

py

Its not a high density moose area so you'll have to cover ground and keep at it. Good moose are there...make local contacts that will keep their eyes out...game warden, biologist, BLM Range manager, local hunters...good luck.

Make sure to get the Knight Ridge HMA for that unit. I would say it holds the most moose in the area. Bear River Divide also has moose on it but not as many. 2 years ago I saw 2 bulls that were both shooters. The better being a 145" B&C, 45" wide moose with a quad brow palm on both sides. He was technically on bear river divide HMA but really close to the border of knight ridge HMA. He could be on either. The other was a low scoring bull with long, thin paddles and long tines. He was just over 40" wide. It should be easy to find a couple young bulls on Knight Ridge but good sized bulls are few and far between. Check aspen groves and buck brush hills. Something that is good for you is this area is a zoo during deer season. Get up there and ask people if they have seen any moose. Carter creek canyons hold some moose and the north and east sides of the butte hold moose. Don't expect a monster. The two I talked about are exceptional bulls for the area. If you can find a bull that is better than what I call plate paddles, I would shoot him(unless you can scout something up better). Good luck on your trip.

I don't believe the Knight Ridge HMAs are in unit 36 as it appears they are south of I-80. Is that correct?
Thanks for the info. Been scouting a few times and found a few. No first day shooters yet.

I believe elkrazy01 was referring to Medicine Butte HMA. Have seen some decent bull moose in there the past couple of years.

Just got back from scouting trip number 2. Saw 11 moose 5 bulls. They?ve started to group up. One bull had stripped velvet all others were still fuzzy. Still looking for that special one.

I'm interested in how you did as I had this tag 2 years ago. I would have responded if I would have saw when it was posted.

Sorry, I had been meaning to give you all an update. It was a fun hunt! Unit definitely isn't crawling with moose and they wander A LOT! Between scouting and hunting I was in the unit 18 days and killed the biggest bull I saw. I was able to achieve my goal and get him with my bow which was pretty awesome! He's 47" wide and gross scores around 148". I shot him on Sept 14th while we were evacuated from our home due to forest fires. I had the moose fever before this hunt and this managed to add fuel to that fire! Didn't see a ton of moose during those 18 days and only two other mature bull. These desert moose sure are skidish and due to the lack of water I would see them wandering the sagebrush flats jumping from canyon to canyon. He sure is tasty!

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2019/74746moose1.j
pg

20224moose2.jpg

Sorry, I had been meaning to give you all an update. It was a fun hunt! Unit definitely isn't crawling with moose and they wander A LOT! Between scouting and hunting I was in the unit 18 days and killed the biggest bull I saw. I was able to achieve my goal and get him with my bow which was pretty awesome! He's 47" wide and gross scores around 148". I shot him on Sept 14th while we were evacuated from our home due to forest fires. I had the moose fever before this hunt and this managed to add fuel to that fire! Didn't see a ton of moose during those 18 days and only two other mature bull. These desert moose sure are skidish and due to the lack of water I would see them wandering the sagebrush flats jumping from canyon to canyon. He sure is tasty!

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2019/74746moose1.j
pg

20224moose2.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom