Wyoming 89-1

dogdoc

My father and I drew this unit this year. I have spoken with the biologist about the area, just wondering if anyone here has hunted it in the past couple of years to give an idea of what to really expect, access, etc. Thanks.

Plenty of access and deer. It all depends how hard you hunt and how much time you have, as to size of buck you may get.

Based on the 2018 draw odds, in the regular draw with 9 points (non-res), we had a 22% chance of getting the tag. The 2019 results show a 50% chance with 9 points. We just wanted to hunt a decent unit, and health is becoming an issue, that's why we didn't wait another year or two.

I hunted this unit about 5 years ago. My suggestions: If you're not camping, stay in Alcova. You can rent a little cabin there for a reasonable price and hunt the southern end of Rattlesnake. You probably received the same info as us on where to hunt from the biologist. We had 2 tags ended up killing a decent 4X4 and I didn't find anything big enough to shoot. Lots of 4 points but couldn't find the one I traveled there for. There were also a few really nice bulls that made their way to private as soon as they got pressure. Also, get onX.

Thanks, that's good to know. I was looking at the Alcova option, sounds like it might be best. I'll be getting OnX and will use it. Is it worth hauling a side by side up, or will a Tacoma be enough?

My buddy and I drew this tag also, I'm pretty excited about the potential of bucks we will be hunting. Good luck to you and your dad. We also had 9 points and we put in the special draw.

If you're renting a room I would say bring the side by side. When we went there was a group that travelled all the way from eastern Canada (they all spoke French with broken English). They got stuck in the snow and ice. If there's whether you will want the side by side. If not I think you'd be fine with just your truck.

I also drew this tag. I am pretty excited to go explore around and see what I can find.

I am curious to see how crowded the mountains will be with all the hunters.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom