Wyoming Advice?

legacy

Very Active Member
So, we're contemplating having my dad burn (or try to burn) his 15 deer points in Wyoming this year. My dad will be 79 years old in June. He can hike a little bit, but is fairly limited at this point on mobility. Currently I have 2 preference points. We've considered applying together for Region G (the only region I am somewhat familiar with) so we can hunt together, but obviously Region G has much less road access than other units and I feel like that might be a problem.
The other option is to have him apply for a unit that would possibly take all of his points, but allow better access for him.
I guess my question is - are there areas in G that have any sort of road access that would be worth hunting? For him, we're not too worried about killing anything huge. This would be more about the experience together since this might very well be our last real hunt together. Or would he fair better applying solo for a unit with better overall access? Thoughts?

So, we're contemplating having my dad burn (or try to burn) his 15 deer points in Wyoming this year. My dad will be 79 years old in June. He can hike a little bit, but is fairly limited at this point on mobility. Currently I have 2 preference points. We've considered applying together for Region G (the only region I am somewhat familiar with) so we can hunt together, but obviously Region G has much less road access than other units and I feel like that might be a problem.
The other option is to have him apply for a unit that would possibly take all of his points, but allow better access for him.
I guess my question is - are there areas in G that have any sort of road access that would be worth hunting? For him, we're not too worried about killing anything huge. This would be more about the experience together since this might very well be our last real hunt together. Or would he fair better applying solo for a unit with better overall access? Thoughts?
I would have him apply for area 128 late tag. Roads around and lots of deer. Keep your points, use his. U have more time than him as far as hunting years are considered!

I’d say at that age I’d be burning my points no doubt about it. Personally I’d forget all about G and hunt some easier desert type ground. His chances of a good tag are way better without your 2 points. I’d put all the focus on him , and enjoy the heck out of it !

G could be really hard for him, unless he had access to and could ride horses...I agree with everyone else and apply for a limited later hunt like 119 or some of the others that take near max points. The problem with some of the others like 128 or 130 is he likely won't draw even with max.

119 is a November 1-15 hunt. If that time frame doesn't work, then there are a few earlier hunts that still take a lot of points that are more truck type hunts as well as some pretty good odds on a hunt like 102 or 90 that are not guaranteed, but he statistically should draw (greater than 50%). One option you might consider if you go 119, is for you to try for the 119-3 whitetail tag if you think you need a tag. You would burn your 2 points or might be able to get it 2nd choice in the special and just put 119-1 down as your first choice (can't draw because there are 0 random tags in the special).

Check out the regulations for dates as well as draw odds:

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Regulations/Regulation-PDFs/REGULATIONS_CH6.pdf

you can put him in for 128 and you could try for a antelope tag in a zone close by. That way you both get to hunt and he is in a zone he can handle.
We are contemplating doing something similar to that when my son and I take his kids with us this year.

you can put him in for 128 and you could try for a antelope tag in a zone close by. That way you both get to hunt and he is in a zone he can handle.
We are contemplating doing something similar to that when my son and I take his kids with us this year.
The issue is the timing to do something like that for 128, the antelope and deer seasons don't overlap...same with 119 as most if not all buck antelope tags end Oct. 31st. It is a really good idea if you have antelope points though and a great suggestion, you might be able to pull that off in some other areas that antelope and deer seasons overlap though....like Unit 90 or 87 deer...but some of those antelope tags take a lot of points to draw.

I plan to still be deer hunting in Wyo when I'm 79 but it sure wont be in G&H. G is best enjoyed getting away from the few roads. There are much better areas in Wyo that he could hunt with those points that are far more conducive to what it sounds like he is capable of and will get him a shot at a better buck than what he is most likely going to find road hunting in G.

I suggest you bite the bullet and put in for a private ranch hunt and go guided. He will only see rows and rows of horse trailers and truck traffic in G. The Powder River Basin has some big private ranches he can drive to and access. His last big hunt, might as well do it in style and have someone cook and cater for him.

I suggest you bite the bullet and put in for a private ranch hunt and go guided. He will only see rows and rows of horse trailers and truck traffic in G. The Powder River Basin has some big private ranches he can drive to and access. His last big hunt, might as well do it in style and have someone cook and cater for him.
who says it’s his last big hunt. Worst advice ever.

Most parts of G are pretty tough country for an old timer to hunt and after last year's poor hunt with the kids, I expect that it will be a tough hunt even for younger hunters this year. I will be 72 this season, and I have about enough points to draw G now, but I only expect to draw one more G tag before I am too old to hunt it. I'm going to just buy a point this year and hope the hunting will improve in the next year or two, then burn my points before my time runs out.

who says it’s his last big hunt. Worst advice ever.
Might not be his last hunt but if he’s barely mobile I certainly wouldn’t hunt G. It will be the last time he has so many preference points. Those big private ranches and going guided would seem to fit his mobility and chance of success. Maybe you could take him Spotlighting up there in G, though I’m certain it would be his last time hunting with you. LMAO.

Last edited:
Also unit 83 Antelope which is part of and right next to 119 runs to November 7th. Herd numbers are down but might make a nice combo if you could draw it.

Might not be his last hunt but if he’s barely mobile I certainly wouldn’t hunt G. It will be the last time he has so many preference points. Those big private ranches and going guided would seem to fit his mobility and chance of success. Maybe you could take him Spotlighting up there in G, though I’m certain it would be his last time hunting with you. LMAO.
We took a guy hunting in G for 10 years who lost both his legs in an logging accident. He filled his tags every year. Hell one year he shot 5 deer.

There is more road accessible country to hunt in G than any of the top 3 biggest ranches in Wyoming...combined.

highfastflyer please stop giving out advice you do not have any experience with.

We took a guy hunting in G for 10 years who lost both his legs in an logging accident. He filled his tags every year. Hell one year he shot 5 deer.

There is more road accessible country to hunt in G than any of the top 3 biggest ranches in Wyoming...combined.

highfastflyer please stop giving out advice you do not have any experience with.
You might want to lay off the “Booze” just for a little while. I’d explain it to you better but I don’t have the time nor the CRAYONS big enough for that. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::love::cool::cool:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom