Wyoming area 100

N

nontypical250

Alright who is the guy or gal that drew my tag out in Wyoming. Hahahah just kidding, I know there is only a couple available. Just wondering if anyone knew who did?

I happen to be one of the lucky ones that beat the 4.74% draw odds on the special tag. Do you have any info that you would be willing to share? Now that I'm one point behind in the preference pool, I'll more than likely never draw this tag again. I'm hoping for an excellent hunt!

dwalton,

Congratulations on that special "Wapiti" tag. I hope you are blessed with a "Monster".

Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

I talked to the biologist and game warden who are in charge of the area. An aerial survey was conducted in January. The unit has a post hunt bull to cow ratio of 81:100. Top end bulls are 330-340.

I also talked to 6 different guys who archery hunted it the past two years. They all reported seeing lots of 6 points, and few, if any, other hunters. I'm sure the first five days of the rifle hunt are a bit crowded, but the game warden told me this, too.

YH, could you please further expand your thoughts on why "the game and fish are running that unit in the dirt"?

dwalton,
I've grown up in unit 100 and i'll try to be brief on my thoughts about what the game and fish are doing.

The trophy quality in unit 100 is down...a lot. In the last few years they have increased the bull tags by 40. This may not sound like a lot but this herd is what i consider "sensitive" A big change like the increase of tags will dramatically affect the herd.

Even though the unit is big this is a no brainer hunt. What i've seen the 40 extra elk tags do is take more of the mature bulls out of the herd. Its not a hard hunt and there are roads everywhere. And everyone holds out for a trophy bull. Well its been 4 years since the increase and now look at the trophy potential out there. I saw a lot of bulls that came out of there last fall. Most were 250-280 class 6 pt. Not even very many over 300. This used to be a unit where there were a lot of 320-340 class bulls. Thats about as big as they get out there.

The problem with unit 100 right now is they are giving out too many tags, they want to decrease the elk population but when they finally do that they don't decrease the tags till they see a dramatic change in the population of the elk.

There is more i could say dwalton, be free to shoot me an email. All im saying is yeah those bowhunters saw a lot of 6 pts, thats no lie, but are you going to mount a 280 class 6 pt??? But don't let what i type disappoint you, there are still some big bulls out there, but for them to get that big out there they are smart now. Its amazing to watch a big bull out there disappear in the brush......

Heres a few pics I've took from my travels in unit 100 to give u hope:

this was last summer, bull 2nd from right has a drop tine:

sdelk001.jpg

Heres a close up:

sdelk8.jpg

Heres a different drop tine bull out, brush got in the way of this pic, i was 30 yards from them:

sideviewofbig6anddt.jpg

droptine3.jpg

elk2gether22.jpg

2bulls27_10_03.jpg

bigbull.jpg

And of course i shed hunt there too:

boars tusk in background:

sundayapriltrip002.jpg

matchtogether.jpg

sundayapriltrip001.jpg

bestpicoffresh6pt1.jpg

I have 100's of more pics from unit 100 but im just too damn lazy to upload or post 'em.

heres a tip though, if you can take your bull with a bow. They come in to the shittest bugles out there and you will not have to put up with the crowds of hunters that will be there during rifle season...

EL

Ernesto,

Thanks so much for the info and photos! I'll shoot you an e-mail this weekend when I'm off work.

I'd be happy to get together to tell you a few things. I've been able to go on this hunt the last two years with my uncle's buddy. He drew out two years in a row. Hey if you need someone to go with, I'll gladly sacrafice a week away from work and tag along. hahahahaha, I videotaped his hunt last year. So get back with me. Where are you from if you don't mind me asking?

Hey EL,
those are some awesome pictures. Have you ever drawn out that tag? Have you ever hunted any of the other areas around there? Have you been horn hunting up there yet this year? I have seen one of those drop tine bulls. You're right the quality is down, but it still is amazing to see them big ol 6 points disappear in that tree sized sagebrush.

dwalton-

What's years were you in Kemmerer? Kemmerer kid here as well. Moved to Utah in 96. Good to see some Kemmererites out there! :)

ODDNUT1
Kirt C.
Hunt Odds.com

LAST EDITED ON Apr-13-06 AT 11:00PM (MST)[p]I'm moving to Wyoming this year, but I can't hunt there until next year, anyone that lives in Wy. or hunts there want to get together for a archery hunt or some thing in 2007? I know it's a long ways away, but why not be excited for it now?

Work to hunt!! Live to hunt!! And the rest spent keeping the wife happy!!

I picked up a Wyoming resident proclaimation and I was wondering how the archery hunts work, it says they ussualy start right around the 1 of September. My question is what areas can I hunt with a general tag. Are all areas open? Any information would be great!! Thanks.

Work to hunt!! Live to hunt!! And the rest spent keeping the wife happy!!

Nope sorry, you can only hunt the general areas you could with a rifle. No limited areas

liv4hunt-
What part of wyoming are you moving to?
E.L. nice pics! I haven't seen any bulls or elk for that matter around the boars tusk, but have seen some south of RS. And my friend has seen a group of nice bulls on white.

PH

dwalton,
I've grown up in unit 100 and i'll try to be brief on my thoughts about what the game and fish are doing.

The trophy quality in unit 100 is down...a lot. In the last few years they have increased the bull tags by 40. This may not sound like a lot but this herd is what i consider "sensitive" A big change like the increase of tags will dramatically affect the herd.

Even though the unit is big this is a no brainer hunt. What i've seen the 40 extra elk tags do is take more of the mature bulls out of the herd. Its not a hard hunt and there are roads everywhere. And everyone holds out for a trophy bull. Well its been 4 years since the increase and now look at the trophy potential out there. I saw a lot of bulls that came out of there last fall. Most were 250-280 class 6 pt. Not even very many over 300. This used to be a unit where there were a lot of 320-340 class bulls. Thats about as big as they get out there.

The problem with unit 100 right now is they are giving out too many tags, they want to decrease the elk population but when they finally do that they don't decrease the tags till they see a dramatic change in the population of the elk.

There is more i could say dwalton, be free to shoot me an email. All im saying is yeah those bowhunters saw a lot of 6 pts, thats no lie, but are you going to mount a 280 class 6 pt??? But don't let what i type disappoint you, there are still some big bulls out there, but for them to get that big out there they are smart now. Its amazing to watch a big bull out there disappear in the brush......

Heres a few pics I've took from my travels in unit 100 to give u hope:

this was last summer, bull 2nd from right has a drop tine:

sdelk001.jpg

Heres a close up:

sdelk8.jpg

Heres a different drop tine bull out, brush got in the way of this pic, i was 30 yards from them:

sideviewofbig6anddt.jpg

droptine3.jpg

elk2gether22.jpg

2bulls27_10_03.jpg

bigbull.jpg

And of course i shed hunt there too:

boars tusk in background:

sundayapriltrip002.jpg

matchtogether.jpg

sundayapriltrip001.jpg

bestpicoffresh6pt1.jpg

I have 100's of more pics from unit 100 but im just too damn lazy to upload or post 'em.

heres a tip though, if you can take your bull with a bow. They come in to the shittest bugles out there and you will not have to put up with the crowds of hunters that will be there during rifle season...

EL
I have just retired to Wyoming, and have drawn elk area 100 bull tag, you are very known of that unit, could you point me to an area I should rifle hunt?
Thank you
Todd hink
[email protected]
Gillette, Wyoming

Todd, welcome to MM! You are commenting on a post that is 15 years old. I’d recommend starting a new topic in the Wyoming forum. You may get some help there. Though there are a bunch of people that come on here with one post asking for help and then are never heard from again after they get some assistance. Because of that, people are not as free with information anymore.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom