Wyoming area 81

Harvdog

How are the glassing opportunities in 81? Looks like mostly timber with scattered meadows but it has some elevation so I was wondering if there’s areas to let the glass do any amount of work. Had plans to hunt G or H but the winterkill killed it for us so we are looking at 81. Dumping 11pt, just ready to hunt and be able to hunt WY more often. Appreciate any info on the area.

If we draw I will make a summer trip

its thick for the most part, i burned my points there sure wish i didn't. the more open country has all the hunters so pretty crowded and we only turned up little bucks. For us it was a major disappointment.

its thick for the most part, i burned my points there sure wish i didn't. the more open country has all the hunters so pretty crowded and we only turned up little bucks. For us it was a major disappointment.
Man hate to hear that

Any idea how does unit 81 compares to 78 or 81?
Been hunting that valley since the 80s.

78 was pretty much ruined by the Mullen Fire - changed the migration route of those deer to the area 81 side of the valley. That said, 81 isn't easy to hunt and the winter impacted that entire valley's population. I think with the right weather 79 or 80 would be better but If i were holding points, I would shop elsewhere in the state personally. It just isn't a good trophy deer hunt right now.

This is accurate. Little bucks are what you should expect. I keep thinking the forkys will grow up into bigger bucks but seems like they never do.

Been hunting that valley since the 80s.

78 was pretty much ruined by the Mullen Fire - changed the migration route of those deer to the area 81 side of the valley. That said, 81 isn't easy to hunt and the winter impacted that entire valley's population. I think with the right weather 79 or 80 would be better but If i were holding points, I would shop elsewhere in the state personally. It just isn't a good trophy deer hunt right now.
Thank you for responding. I sent you a PM.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom