Wyoming Bighorn Sheep

MaineFlatlander

Lucky is something I’ve been when it comes to hunting the west. This year I was planning an elk hunt with a brother and friend. I was somewhat surprised to see the results of the sheep drawing. After 21 years I will be headed to Wyoming to hunt sheep!!

I had a friend hunt the unit 20 years ago and have his notes. I have also spoken to a couple of locals including the biologist.

This will probably be my last sheep hunt as I have drawn Montana and Colorado over the years. September can’t come soon enough.

EF6F1D63-707A-4FA6-A64C-402F14182BA1.jpeg

MaineFlatlander

When the results came out for the elk draw I was hoping I wouldn’t draw but I was pretty sure of the results because of my group’s point total. The sheep will be a priority but with four weeks available for the trip there should be time for both....and maybe a little fly fishing action

8E700198-3448-4894-9E97-608B00CB281F.jpeg

MaineFlatlander

One of many tasks for the summer...picking which rifle to use. Weight is a consideration as everything may have to be packed in and out. I’ll bring my 7mm RemMag for the elk but it’s too heavy to pack up a mountain.

The top candidates are a Kimber Montana in either 7mm-08 or 257Roberts or my Winchester M70 featherweight in 7mm-08.
Currently leaning towards the M70. I used this rifle in 2003 to take my Montana ram. I do my own reloading and will play with a few different loads but have had great luck with Barnes TTSX 120 and Re15. I have also used this combination to take Maine moose and a Utah cow moose.

C8BB090C-44BD-4128-8E9E-C2D2FBA45BDC.jpeg

MaineFlatlander

My original plan was the Wyoming elk hunt and a Colorado antelope hunt. The sheep tag changed those plans. I was lucky, I guess, and also drew my antelope tag. With the dates of that hunt there is no way to do the hunt without cutting the sheep hunt short. Obviously that isn’t the answer.

My only option would be to delay the sheep hunt until the last 10 days of September. That would allow me 10 days to sheep hunt, first 10 days of October to elk hunt, and then a week to antelope hunt. The way mountain weather can be that could be a risky gamble. I’m going to think on it a few more days but it appears the next person in line for the antelope tag will be smiling. Hopefully I can draw the tag again in a couple years.

7B71C3CF-A63A-4D68-98F3-23EF530DB128.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Top Bottom