Wyoming Black bear comment...

BuzzH

Long Time Member
period is open.

Not sure how many people hunt bears in Wyoming, but if you do, there is an open comment period for the proposed changes to Black Bear regulations found here:

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/wgfd-1001773.aspx

I attended the local meeting in Laramie last evening and the only real changes are increasing the female quota by one bear in spring and fall for hunt area 8. The proposed season dates are also listed, which is proposed as one general season, no special archery only season specific to unit 8.

At the meeting there were concerns about having archery hunts and rifle hunts going on at the same time.

I specifically asked about how the Snowy Range bear population was doing and if the increase in the quota was appropriate. Apparently the bear population in the Snowy Range is about 100 bears, they kill around 20 per year. The data is showing a stable or slightly increasing bear population. There was also data to support that bears from Colorado were drifting back and forth and likely a portion of the bear harvest was from "Colorado" bears.

Anyway, if anyone wants to comments...get them in.

Thanks for the info Buzz.
I'll check it out and comment if I feel I can add anything.

My first bear was from Wyoming in 1978. It's been quite a ride since then.

Zeke

Sent my comments in last week. There are possibly more changes than those listed. Archery season could be eliminated.

My recommendation is to make at least one more hunt area. I generally hunt the north end of the Snowies. It's all north slope area. Access in the spring is often very tough. Deep snow and it comes out later than the east and west sides of the range. In 2012, the season closed two days after I got my baits out. I'd like to see the country including Rock Creek, the Med Bow River and Pass Creek as another hunt area. I started hunting that area about 25 years ago. We used to struggle to get a bear to hit our baits. Now, we have to refill baits every trip. LOTS more bears now.

A friend was out trying to cut lion track last month and cut 14 separate bear tracks crossing the road in the forest service in that area. I'm not sure how much biology is involved in sampling that north slope area.

I can't see a downside to another hunt area. Funny that it is numerous elk and deer areas, but one hunt area seems to be enough for bears. I'd advocate for more areas because I feel like we'd get better management that way.

ICMDEER,

That is exactly the kind of things the G&F is wanting to hear. I normally dont hunt the area that much, and I dont bait, so my comments were pretty minimal.

It was interesting though, that the discussion largely revolved around whether archery hunters or rifle hunters should get the most opportunity season wise, as well as at the quota. In-fighting at its finest.

Meanwhile, there was one person in the room that asked anything about how the increases would impact the resource...

100 bears in the snowy range? Sure doesn't seem like a lot. I have only been in the snowy range a handful of times but would think that country held more bears.

I spent a lot of time up there this last summer/fall and the place looks like bear Heaven. In the 12+ trips I seen 4 total bears and no one will every know how many bears are really there, but I expected it to way more than 100. Looking forward to bear hunting up there next year.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom