Wyoming Bull Elk Unit 45-1 & 100-1

Nodserk

NR here. I've hunted elk my whole life. I'm just trying to gather intel on Wyoming unit 45 and 100 before I apply. Just curious what the pros/cons are to each, what to expect, number of hunters seen during the hunt, typical weather during success (knowing it can change obviously), elk photos if anyone is willing to share, rough age of animals taken, etc...

I'm not wanting to know your “secret spots” but rather info to help plan and understand the units a little better. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

No way would I even consider 100 with max points unless I was wheelchair bound.

Most over-rated elk unit in the West.
Good to know. If you don’t mind me asking, what makes it overrated? There are a lot of tags it seems. Are the bulls not as mature as one would hope for? Not as many elk as you’d expect?

Good to know. If you don’t mind me asking, what makes it overrated? There are a lot of tags it seems. Are the bulls not as mature as one would hope for? Not as many elk as you’d expect?

Tons of elk, tons of very average six points...very rare to touch 330 with anything but a magic tape.

totally different hunts. One is in the mountains, one in the flats. 45 is like a "traditional" mountain Elk hunt. 100 is like an Antelope hunt for Elk. 100 is a huge unit so don't worry about hunters. I agree with Buzz though. The top end (340+) bulls are rare. Since you don't have max points you're facing lottery - type odds of drawing 100. 45 would likely give you the chance at a bigger bull. How many points do you have ? Your answer on that was rather vague. If you don't have max points now you most likely won't in the next few years.

Not really....What you don’t know or didn’t realize back in the day was that the DWR in different states would change the rules or adjust tag numbers up or down.Etc.
Good example
Colorado let you build about 10 years and then decided Non residents could not hunt
RFW properties.
I bet you could come up with 50 different
Rule changes for all these states.
So your point isn’t very fair.

Tons of elk, tons of very average six points...very rare to touch 330 with anything but a magic tape.
totally different hunts. One is in the mountains, one in the flats. 45 is like a "traditional" mountain Elk hunt. 100 is like an Antelope hunt for Elk. 100 is a huge unit so don't worry about hunters. I agree with Buzz though. The top end (340+) bulls are rare. Since you don't have max points you're facing lottery - type odds of drawing 100. 45 would likely give you the chance at a bigger bull. How many points do you have ? Your answer on that was rather vague. If you don't have max points now you most likely won't in the next few years.
Thank you for your input. It took 11 points last year (1 tag went a 12 point holder) with 8 going at random. I’m at 9 and don’t plan on drawing either unit, but at least be in a decent pool for the random draw. Doing homework now, and will continue to do so, until there is a bull on the ground! I really appreciate your thoughts. They confirm what my gut feeling was telling me.

2 more things for you to keep in mind 1] 45 has a fair amount of wilderness. As an NR you can't hunt it without a Wyoming resident with you. 2] In Wyoming the random draw really is random. You won't be in a better pool with your 9 points like some states. If you don't have the points to draw the tag you'll be in the same pool with the guys with 0 points. Best wishes with your homework and good luck on your future hunt. Chip

I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers, but what I'm seeing is 19% drew with 13 points in the special draw, and in the regular draw 13 points was 11%.

In the random draw odds were 1 in 93 in the special, and 1 in 213 in the regular.

My odds to draw this year are the same as your odds- and I have zero points.

I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers, but what I'm seeing is 19% drew with 13 points in the special draw, and in the regular draw 13 points was 11%.

In the random draw odds were 1 in 93 in the special, and 1 in 213 in the regular.

My odds to draw this year are the same as your odds- and I have zero points.
I’m referring to unit 45’s numbers. I’ve decided unit 100 isn’t the type of hunt I’m looking for. That’s not to say success won’t be found by other hunters, cuz I’m hopeful it is.

I’m referring to unit 45’s numbers. I’ve decided unit 100 isn’t the type of hunt I’m looking for. That’s not to say success won’t be found by other hunters, cuz I’m hopeful it is.

Oh I see. But still, your odds of drawing 45 are no better than my odds with zero points.

Oh I see. But still, your odds of drawing 45 are no better than my odds with zero points.
This is true. I’m well aware of the odds of drawing. It’s the same as most states. I, you, we have to figure what kind of hunt we want and put ourselves in the best position to be able to. If I’m not gathering info from various resources, I’m not giving myself the best chance, no matter how small of a chance it may be.

To be honest< I have been to 45 3 times. Each time it has gone hill each time I WENT. 2018 was the last time I was there. The quality was way down and the crowds were way up. Although, I love the unit. Very cool place.

For those of you willing, could we compare unit 38, 39, 45....all the same mountain range. Same type of hunt? Would you put one over another?

Of course you would, they're not your points.

I have friends with max points, and they aren't putting in for either.

Buzz isn't going to help you, he is just going to tell you what he thinks your doing wrong.

Rich

First off, the guy doesn't even tell about his ability, time he has, physical condition, nothing. He asked about 2 units, I wouldn't blow max points on either.

With 14 years worth of points, no way would I:

1. Ask for information on the internet
2. Not know exactly where I was going to spend them
3. Waste 14 years not doing research until the last minute

I don't care where people hunt, and if they "don't need a big bull", then blow your 14 points on a general unit. You can find any kind of habitat for your abilities with a few dozen units to choose from.

Again, with max points I would be looking at different units.

But, to each their own...

First off, the guy doesn't even tell about his ability, time he has, physical condition, nothing. He asked about 2 units, I wouldn't blow max points on either.

With 14 years worth of points, no way would I:

1. Ask for information on the internet
2. Not know exactly where I was going to spend them
3. Waste 14 years not doing research until the last minute

I don't care where people hunt, and if they "don't need a big bull", then blow your 14 points on a general unit. You can find any kind of habitat for your abilities with a few dozen units to choose from.

Again, with max points I would be looking at different units.

But, to each their own...
I’m curious your thoughts on the best units for max pts? I don’t have max pts but for me WY has been difficult to figure out? It’s either the Grizz units which logistically seem to require horses and/or guide and lots of guys don’t want to do that. So I guess maybe 22 or one of the 30 units? I do understand the late hunts around Cody offer the best big bull potential but that seems to be a guided hunt for the most part as well. I have 7 pts and I’m struggling on where I want to apply myself. I shoulda just drawn general but I didn’t see the pt creep WY has experienced coming. That’s my fault. The bighorn units are off my list due to rifle dates. I would like to rifle hunt so I’m kinda considering those hunts that offer better dates in early oct. I’m not against bow hunting before but want the option of picking up a rifle after bow season

I’m curious your thoughts on the best units for max pts? I don’t have max pts but for me WY has been difficult to figure out? It’s either the Grizz units which logistically seem to require horses and/or guide and lots of guys don’t want to do that. So I guess maybe 22 or one of the 30 units? I do understand the late hunts around Cody offer the best big bull potential but that seems to be a guided hunt for the most part as well. I have 7 pts and I’m struggling on where I want to apply myself. I shoulda just drawn general but I didn’t see the pt creep WY has experienced coming. That’s my fault. The bighorn units are off my list due to rifle dates. I would like to rifle hunt so I’m kinda considering those hunts that offer better dates in early oct. I’m not against bow hunting before but want the option of picking up a rifle after bow season

To be honest< I have been to 45 3 times. Each time it has gone hill each time I WENT. 2018 was the last time I was there. The quality was way down and the crowds were way up. Although, I love the unit. Very cool place.
Agree with Robiland as I've been in 45 4 years and the quality is down as I've not seen many "bigger" bulls and lower numbers as well. When we were scouting before season, a G&F officer told us that quite a few migrate down to private areas before archery season opens.

Agree with Robiland as I've been in 45 4 years and the quality is down as I've not seen many "bigger" bulls and lower numbers as well. When we were scouting before season, a G&F officer told us that quite a few migrate down to private areas before archery season opens.

Curious?
Why would elk "migrate" down prior to Sept 1? No hunting pressure, snow, warmer temps lower as well...

45 tag numbers from past, type 1 vs 9
2013 - 320/112
2014 - 305/94
2015 - 318/143
2016 - 334/165
2017 - 295/143
2018 - 342/150

increased pressure would have to come from more type 1 guys going with a bow.

Curious?
Why would elk "migrate" down prior to Sept 1? No hunting pressure, snow, warmer temps lower as well...

45 tag numbers from past, type 1 vs 9
2013 - 320/112
2014 - 305/94
2015 - 318/143
2016 - 334/165
2017 - 295/143
2018 - 342/150

increased pressure would have to come from more type 1 guys going with a bow.

We have the same issue here in Utah with the Wasatch Unit. It holds a ton of elk. BUT.....coupled with higher number of tags, the hunts going from mid Aug to Feb 1, they get pressured and once the hunts starts, they move and they move fast to the private. They collard hundreds of elk and watched as the season progresses and how they move. They did this for a few years. The DWR said that the unit holds more elk than we think but as hunters we called BS. We saw the HUGE increase in tags, both bull and cow and watched as the elk disappeared. Then the DWR showed the video of the GPS of the elk and it was crazy how fast they moved to private. Then we had the problem of all the elk on private and the landowners complain about all the elk. So they keep increasing the tag numbers. But of course the land owners wont let you in to hunt without a fee of 500 and up to $1000 to hunt. Crazy.

But the elk do move and they know when to move.

Makes sense the hunting season pressures them to private, I guess the part about prior to archery season got me. I could see that in Utah with 10 guys per tag holder scouting.

Makes sense the hunting season pressures them to private, I guess the part about prior to archery season got me. I could see that in Utah with 10 guys per tag holder scouting.
I have no idea why they'd migrate down prior to Sept. as is made no sense to me and I'm not sure how many do that. I hunted in 2015 which is when the G&F guy said he saw quite a few on private including a 370ish bull. I did see lots of elk in August when I scouted but cattle arrived a week before the archery season which totally messed up a lot of the areas that I'd scouted as the elk were not in the same open meadows that I saw them from scouting. So cattle is a wildcard and the schedule for that is determined by USFS which changes based on current conditions, so nothing that can be controlled by a hunter.

Robiland - I'm headed up this Thursday with a friends son that drew one of the random tags. Supposed to be pretty cold so we'll see what we see. I agree that it seems to be going downhill as I've been there 4 years now and totally agree that each years seems to be worse. I'm gonna start researching other units. Hope you're doing well!

I had the tag this year in 100. Feel free to PM me for more information. However, if you're not at max points you're a long way from drawing. Even if you were one point below it could be a decade before you're at max.

In 2020, the regular draw for 100-1 had 12 tags and 54 applicants. If everything stayed the same you're looking at over 4 years just to move through those applicants.

I had the tag this year in 100. Feel free to PM me for more information. However, if you're not at max points you're a long way from drawing. Even if you were one point below it could be a decade before you're at max.

In 2020, the regular draw for 100-1 had 12 tags and 54 applicants. If everything stayed the same you're looking at over 4 years just to move through those applicants.

How did you do?

I shot one of those "magic tape" bulls during the archery hunt.

2020-09-03 19.04.18.jpg

This is exactly what i have been hearing. I hunted it 10+ years ago and had been trying to get back there for a second hunt. But i’m strongly considering finding a new unit.

Returned for a horribly cold hunt and actually road hunted most of the time which I hate. Looking for fresh tracks which were few and far between as the elk had appeared to migrate down to lower elevations as there was probably 12-14 inches of snow. The worst was the cold as it was -8 the first day and we hiked about 5 hrs and saw hardly any fresh tracks where we'd always seen plenty of elk. Then the weather got COLD. Last day was -17 and just stupid to walk around if there's no fresh sign. 1 guy did shoot a 6 point off the road but otherwise it was pretty deserted. I'm thinking hard also if I'd really want to hunt this as I like the area but it's been in a downhill spiral from all I've seen and heard.

45 has been going down hill for years, but for an unguided hunt for a NR it's still worth a look.

For someone with max points 56-1 and 59-1 are the absolute best in my opinion I wouldn't consider anything else. I've been on both of them .

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom