Wyoming Deer Question

muleylover

Hello,
My friend and I have Wyoming deer tags that start soon. I won't name the unit or blast anything out. We are non residents (I know, Evil) We will plan on being in Wyoming a few days before the season starts and have some places in mind to check out. Just wondering if anyone could share what elevation the bigger bucks are likely to be at come mid-September? Will they be up high above treeline? Transition zone with more timber? Thanks!

Hello,
My friend and I have Wyoming deer tags that start soon. I won't name the unit or blast anything out. We are non residents (I know, Evil) We will plan on being in Wyoming a few days before the season starts and have some places in mind to check out. Just wondering if anyone could share what elevation the bigger bucks are likely to be at come mid-September? Will they be up high above treeline? Transition zone with more timber? Thanks!
Big bucks are where they are. Not elevation specific….

I made the mistake of thinking the deer and elk stayed high till weather pushed them out to search for food lower.
Mostly because that is what I was told.
WRONG....

Many mule deer will be just about any place they feel safe and have food to keep them happy. Some won't travel very far through out the season at all.
Others cover more ground in a day than most guys do in a month of hiking.
I know this isn't very helpful.
But, I suggest looking over your area on Google earth.
Look for valleys away from trail heads with cover of any type and grass mixed with some quakies.

I've found big deer from 6,000 to 11,000 feet in elevation in Western Wyoming. The bigger high country bucks will drop into cover once they feel hunting pressure and also spend more time in the trees once the velvet starts to strip. Glass those treeline edges and pocket meadows.
The hardest lesson to learn about killing big bucks, "don't shoot a small/average one first."

I understand you find them where you find them for sure. Just trying to narrow a couple things down before we get there. I am assuming most will be rubbed off and won't be in the open as much and we will be looking at more of the areas that have "edge" for cover. Just didn't know if those bucks will still be up over 11K still.

As stated above, you could find a big buck just about anywhere. Chances are better up high though. Just stay away from anyplace a horse can go or a place a "horse girl" would think big bucks like to go. It could be right next to an outfitter camp or off a major highway... big bucks like privacy above anything else...

I understand you find them where you find them for sure. Just trying to narrow a couple things down before we get there. I am assuming most will be rubbed off and won't be in the open as much and we will be looking at more of the areas that have "edge" for cover. Just didn't know if those bucks will still be up over 11K still.
The best way to narrow it down is to hunt areas that produce big bucks. Hunt all day, don’t give up, ghost the wife, make the shot count. If it’s fun you’re doing it wrong. It’s fun after.

Which unit ? G or H
Neither, its a unit with few tags. Don't want to be torn apart by naming it. We have about 10 days to hunt and can come back towards the end of need be, have a couple of mules, strong backs, good glass. Will definitely put in the time and effort.

Generally speaking in mid September they will be high if they didn’t get pressure on the archery hunt. After the shooting starts they seek immediate cover but still remain high. If you cannot pre-season scout or archery hunt then your best bet is to cover as much ground as possible knowing you will likely miss some of the bucks but odds are better by moving and continuously glassing good spots during prime times which look “bucky” and then moving along until you find one you are willing to try and harvest. If you get early snow they may drop a 1000 feet but it takes snow over a foot deep to move them below 9000 feet in September. If it’s an Oct 1st hunt area then start high if no weather. If you have snow then hunt the transition areas. Big bucks are where you find them but getting away from trails and hunting long hours and as many days as you can will benefit you. Many guys just get lucky and are at the right place at the right time but many hunters who consistently take big deer earn them for the most part. Good luck.

Thanks for all the input and help. Hunt starts the 15th so I know there is probably some archery pressure but thinking it won't be to much. We plan on starting high and working down. Will have a few days to scout and about 10 to hunt.

Suggest watching Nate of Western Hunter TV show. He hunts in the areas you most likely will be or similar. His methods work really well and mirror my own. Good glass is the most important aspect of finding mature deer. Do not be afraid to change areas.

Find some areas with good browse, buck brush and mt mahogany, and pick them apart. They need water nearby too.

Like Christmas....the anticipation is probably the most fun part. "Twas the week before opening and all thru the tent every hunter lay awake....dreaming of the day" Have you watched the Eastman's video on mule deer migration in Wyoming? Pretty interesting !

I actually watched it yesterday. Very interesting, some of the studies on the mule deer migration in Wyoming are pretty amazing.

I'd spend the first few days covering with feet and glass as much of the high basins as you can. You still can find a big buck out in the open at first/last light up there. After that, I like to hit up the more out of the way areas. Avalanche chutes and "hidden" little open hill sides and the smaller openings you can find in some timber patches. Might catch a big one changing beds in these. spots in the middle of the day. Then its just a matter of trying to get in and find him again for a shot. Not even necessarily lower, just more of the cover areas. Good luck!

Once again thanks for all the help so far. I would consider myself an experienced and successful deer hunter, hunting multiple states but have never had the opportunity in Wyoming let alone this early in the season.

The best way to narrow it down is to hunt areas that produce big bucks. Hunt all day, don’t give up, ghost the wife, make the shot count. If it’s fun you’re doing it wrong. It’s fun after.
"If it's fun you're doing it wrong. It's fun after."
I love that, so true in many instances.

I agree. Very rewarding to grind out a hunt for a week or so, and end up finding a good buck in the end.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom