Wyoming Elk 2019

travishunter3006

Very Active Member
I'll be heading to Wyoming again this year with deer, antelope and elk tags in my pocket.

I've prepared the Savage 112 in 260AI this summer but will only be taking it along as my back up. I have killed several deer and elk over the years with the 260AI but in recent years I began dragging the more primitive rifles around. A couple years ago I was able to put the smack down on a couple of does with the 44 mag. and once the blood was dried, I was forever hooked. -Don't knock my prescription of primitive :)

This year I will be packing the 357 lever action with a 24" barrel as my main gun. Ill leave the 260AI in the trailer. I've loaded some 158 gr flat nose and 158 gr HP's backed by a max load of 15.5g of H110.

This gun is spot on at 100. I can't much see to shoot open sights past 150 without a sever contrasting background so I will be keeping my shooting to reasonable distances. I plan on filling all my tags with the ol' lever action and putting some meat on the ground.

Anyone else have pictures or stories of successes/failures when trying to go a little more old school while in the field? I think my old fiend TOPGUN would approve... unless I was planning on taking head shots!!!!

I tried shooting a Whitetail doe once at 190 yards with my friends lever action 30-30. I missed by 4 feet, lol. That was the end of it.

I have much respect for anyone who choses those calibers to hunt with. My father-in-law's favorite deer gun was a .44-40. He hunted black-tails only and said it was like throwing a rock, but if he hit it, it would roll them. He piled up a lot of deer.

I killed my first elk with a lever action 30-30. He was only about 30 yards but one shot did the deed. I got a little excited and got too aggressive chambering the second round and my rifle jammed. We were in grizz country and my partners had their rifles of course but still made for a hairy pack trip back to camp. Ive also killed a black bear at close range in Alaska with that rifle. Got a friend who killed hos Dahl with a 30-30 lever as well. I think within 100 yards with good bullet placement youll have no problem. Good luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom