Wyoming elk 51 type-2

Millsworks

My son and I drew elk tag north of sunlight Crandall area.We plan on hunting full month of Oct. and hope maybe some one can point us in general to where we should start our hike to look for sighn.
We certainly respect the big brown critters that are out there, but we are in for the long haul.Even if it turns into a hard wet,half frozen nature hike,I'm sure it will be great.Sure would be more fun with some meat to drag out though.
Enjoy reading all the posts to this sight and is great to see hunters helping hunters.
Thanks for any and all info!

Hello. Me & a friend also drew this tag. Perhaps we can meet up at some point. Sounds like it should be a good hunt as long as we can dodge all the grizzlies!

We are from Eastern West Virginia.my son is 17 and will be 18 on 28th of Oct.
This will be his and I last trip together before he's off to college and the great beyond.We plan on a base camp maybe on Morrison Jeep trail (120) Forest service road.weather will hopefully be white and brisk,so we should try to keep our base within 1-2 miles of Beartooth highway to keep from getting snowed out or in.We will go on 2-3 day coyote camp trips, fanning out as necessary till we get the job done.
Would be glad to share a cuppa coffee and any info I have or get!
Hope you have better luck than I at finding some one who has hunted there and is friendly with advise.
Would be a help to at least know if any one has had good or bad experience.

The Beartooth Highway is usually closed by mid to late October. The Morrison Jeep road is a USFS road. However, it is not really suited for pickups. It is primarily for access by horses, jeeps and Atv's. It is steep and narrow especially on the Clark end of the jeep trail. It is not for the faint of heart.

just sayin...mh

The Forest road should be navigatible enough on the northwestern end ,at least enough for a West Virginia boy.
Rouph roads usually keep traffic to a minimum​.That will hopefully help keep those pesky salesman away,or at least help keep the dust off the dishes!
Thanks for the warning any way.
I have seen the YouTube video of the clmb up the switchback section.Dont think I'll be going that way..

I hunted this unit once. I was harassed by grizz every night I was there in my tent. They kept trying to get in my tent at night & mess with my gear. I was scared $hitless.....will never hunt this unit again. I ended up shooting a nice 6x6. I packed out the head & cape, came back to get the meat & there were 3 grizzlys chowing down my meat. I tried to scare them off & ended up losing a limb.....those grizz up there are super aggressive!

Hope you are doing ok. I'm sorry to hear about your experience.
When did this happen?
When I asked the area warden about bear incounters, he said as far back as he could remember there had not been any serious problems.
Loosing a limb or anyother body part sounds serious to me.
Other than the guy that got knocked over by a bear that charged by him in Sunlight,not long ago. It's just been reports of camp vandalism as I have been told.

It appears this was not in Wy in the area I'm hunting this fall.
Obviously. Obviously bears do attack people and sometimes they are seriously injured or even killed.
Moose, elk, buffalo, and sometimes mule deer and whitetails attack some people too. Have seen some video of a few violent turkeys also.
Respect and common sense protects people and animals alike.
Sometimes bad stuff happens, even with our best efforts.
That's not gonna stop me from going outdoors and enjoying myself doing what I love to do.
I'll keep an eye out for trouble and take precautions as I can, but I'll do it hunting where the game are.

>It appears this was not in
>Wy in the area I'm
>hunting this fall.
>Obviously. Obviously bears do attack people
>and sometimes they are seriously
>injured or even killed.
>Moose, elk, buffalo, and sometimes mule
>deer and whitetails attack some
>people too. Have seen some
>video of a few violent
>turkeys also.
>Respect and common sense protects people
>and animals alike.
>Sometimes bad stuff happens, even with
>our best efforts.
>That's not gonna stop me from
>going outdoors and enjoying myself
>doing what I love to
>do.
>I'll keep an eye out for
>trouble and take precautions as
>I can, but I'll do
>it hunting where the game
>are.
I think the issue with any area around yellowstone is the sheer concentration of Grizz. And the fact they aren't hunted make this area way more of a potential problem than other areas even in Canada and Alaska. But that's just what I read

Thanks to all that posted with help and advice here and elsewhere.
I have gotten mixed reviews and conflicting opinions, but I believe all info is helpful.

Thanks again to those who offered help and sent PM's.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-23-17 AT 08:41PM (MST)[p]Hey buxnbullz, haven't seen you post in a while.
Hope all is well.

Hopefully we'll meet up in our elk unit this fall.
Keep safe and see ya.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom