Wyoming elk area 56 type 9 archery non-resident hunt

Mackey

A buddy wants me to go with him on an outfitted archery hunt in area 56 the first week of archery season. The first week of the season is our only option as this outfitter is booked every other week. Has anyone on here ever hunted 56 the first week? I was told the herd bulls may be active but probably not much out of satilite bulls. By the way, I have one less than max elk preference points, but my buddy has none. I really don't want to split my points as I will never have that close to max again. I am 61 years old. Any better ideas on a different area archery hunt? Any opinions?

I really enjoy this reading forum! Thanks to all who contribute!

Mackey

I think your decision is fairly simple. Find another buddy and save your 10PPs! Have you looked at the draw odds for 56-9? Last year there were 3 tags available in the 56-9 Regular PP Draw and 1 was taken by someone with 0PPS and 2 were leftovers. In the Special PP Draw there were 2 tags available and 1 went to some idiot that used his 10PPs and 5 applied as a party and got tags with 0PPs. Unless I'm really missing something this is a no brainer if you have 10PPs.

TG, Thanks for responding. Ive been told to apply in an area that we would not draw as a first choice. Then make our second choice area 56 type 9. We should draw that tag in the Special draw. I want to make sure I don't burn my preference points. I am saving them for another day. I am more concerned about what kind of hunt to expect that early in the season. Will the bulls be active at all and will we see some elk? BTW, my only elk hunting experience was 11 years ago with Yellowstone Outfitters in area 60.

Mackey

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-17 AT 12:54PM (MST)[p]It would have helped if you had explained exactly what you had in mind because you made it sound like you were going to apply as a party with 5.5PPs in the draw. What you mentioned now can work IF there are tags left after the first choice applicants are filled. That might not be the case this year with so few tags allotted for that unit. If the tag numbers stay the same all it will take is one applicant to draw a tag as their first choice and there won't be enough tags left for the two of you to draw as your second choice. You also need to be aware that even though you might not draw your first choice in the PP Draw you then go into the Random Draw for that tag and if by chance you draw it there you would lose your PPs and not even get to your second choice of 56-9. Good luck on whatever you decide!

PS: In a normal year I believe you have a better chance early in the season to kill a good bull in most units before they gather a harem a week or two later and will not normally come to a call. It's also very difficult to get in on a good bull if he has cows around him.

TG, is there a 100% sure way of getting the tags without putting my PPs at risk? Will our outfitter know how to do it? Thanks.

Mackey

without using your points there is no way you can be 100% sure of getting those tags. . If a couple other people are going guided with some other outfitter in 56-9 they might use their points and take those tags before your 2nd choice gets a tag. Each year is different, and you wont know until the draw happens

You got the correct answer from mntnguide before I got back on here to see your question! The big problem is the very small number of tags available making it a crap shoot from year to year. If there was two or three times that small number of tags available, you'd probably have it made, but not with just several available. I'd be thinking very, very long and hard about risking 10PPs when you're only one from max and some fluke could cost you ten years of banking them.

Pm me for any questions on the unit and I have outfitter info I can help with

P m. Sent back. Also I won't preach on the PP game. Topgun/mntguide have provided great info. As resident I ddon't have to worry about it so I lack info on it

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom