Wyoming Elk Hunt - 13 points

Buzzy

Looking at 51-1 and going at the end of October with John Porter and Morning Creek Outfitters. Wanting a 360 bull or better. Talk me out of the unit or outfitter and where I should be trying for a trophy.

Thanks

Don’t know much about 51. Plenty of big bulls in the units that are around Cody. Definitely some 360+ bulls but you will need to work for them!

Looking at 51-1 and going at the end of October with John Porter and Morning Creek Outfitters. Wanting a 360 bull or better. Talk me out of the unit or outfitter and where I should be trying for a trophy.

Thanks
Have you had a discussion with Porter yet about a hunt and your goals? Definitely possible to take big bulls out of 51 on a good year and Morning Creek or Crandall Creek either one would be great choices to guide you.
With 13 points I would also be looking into 63 or 64 type 2 .

Thanks everyone. I talked to an outfitter in 63/64 and after describing that I was trophy hunting for a 360+ type of bull he suggested staying in 51. Real stand up guy to be honest like that. He told me to talk to Southfield Outfitters and that sounds real interesting.

One is in an area that hasn’t been hunted in several years, 3 days longer in hunting, wilderness camp 13 miles back, slightly more expensive and suggests the first 2 weeks of the Season. He doesn’t know the area all that great but his reputation as a good outfitter giving his clients the best opportunity for a good hunt checks out.

The other is hunting at the end of the season, trailering to different drainages early in the AM, pounding the mountain looking for big bulls, and I would be on call while I stay in Jackson starting on October 1 with friends in case he sees a big bull the first 2 weeks of the season while he hunts sheep. If I got a call I’d be there within hrs. And he knows the mountains in there like the back of his hand.

I think one camp is farther north in the unit and the 3 day longer camp more south in the unit.
Waiting to talk to the biologist to see about quality.

What all would you do??

Do you mean South Fork Outfitters LLC? I’ve done a bunch of research in NW Wyoming and I’ve never heard of Southfield Outfitters.

No as the information I saw about them didn’t excite me but maybe I’ll give them a call. Thanks

Last few years they been pulling some nice bulls out or crandall creek outfitters. I have only met mr.fisher once when inwas scouting for mountain goats and we exchnaged info on the trail about what he saw and i passed on some info about a big ram i was seeing.

I personally dont care for John porter. But this isnt a place to disgust that on why. As far as his morning creek outfitters i have nothing to say. I just dont hear any reviews about them.

Also k bar z does pretty good in that area. If you call them and are intrested i could pm one particular guide that knows his elk in that country. So just let me know and i can pm his name to you..

What ever happens be sure to let us know how you do on the hunt and good luck. I suggest grabbing a wolf tag

Isaac,

I don’t think that he has enough points for any of the late season hunts.
It looks like I’d have about a 67% chance for the late hunt in 61. I have a call into Shoshone and could hold it to try to draw it the next few years as well if it gives me even more possibilities of a larger elk. Which I think it probably would.

For 51 I’m not sure if it makes a big difference between early and late. Anyone have thoughts on that?? Thanks

Early and late same results. Ya its better with a good snow. Hot weather can make it tough but i have seen some good bulls also come out with warm weather. Its having a gold guide that know the elk

Late season I was thinking November 1st and later. Not many options with less than maximum preference points. Like these other guys have said, you could get a big bull out of any of the units in NW Wyoming. 360”+ is doable but certainly not guaranteed. I would concentrate on which outfitter would provide you with the best experience. In my opinion, score shouldn’t be your highest priority. Savor the days in the wilderness as you probably won’t ever draw again.

I hunted in 61 with Josh a couple years ago during the Oct hunt. Had a great time and Josh is a super guide. For a real expectation of 360 bull I'd stick to the type 2 late hunt.

Good to hear about Josh Martoglio. I have a hunt booked with him next year. Will have 14 points. i asked him for references who did not fill tag, he said he hadn’t had one in years!? hope he’s not blowing smoke!

Good to hear about Josh Martoglio. I have a hunt booked with him next year. Will have 14 points. i asked him for references who did not fill tag, he said he hadn’t had one in years!? hope he’s not blowing smoke!
Did you apply to 61-2 in 2020? I’m guessing not but curious to see how many folks will apply for 61-2 this year.

Curios how the numbers are better in the regular than the special?? Thanks
More applicants in the Special draw than the Regular. Many times with so few NR tags available the number of applicants fluctuates between regular and Special for any given year. Just because the Special costs more doesn’t necessarily mean better odds.
In 2020 for 61-2 the following occurred
61-2 Regular PP
2 tags
1 person with 13pts applied leaving 1 tag and 2 people with 12 applied.
61-2 Special PP
2 tags
4 people with 13pts applied.

No smoke being blown. They put the time and effort in

More applicants in the Special draw than the Regular. Many times with so few NR tags available the number of applicants fluctuates between regular and Special for any given year. Just because the Special costs more doesn’t necessarily mean better odds.
In 2020 for 61-2 the following occurred
61-2 Regular PP
2 tags
1 person with 13pts applied leaving 1 tag and 2 people with 12 applied.
61-2 Special PP
2 tags
4 people with 13pts applied.
Curios how the numbers are better in the regular than the special?? Thanks
I didn’t realize that but it makes sense. Thanks

Buzzy,

These guys are exactly correct about the regular vs special draw odds. And the only thing ”special” about the tag is the increased price. The season dates are exactly the same etc. I think you made a good choice with Josh; I don’t know him but his reputation is excellent. Hopefully you will get some early weather and find the 360+ that you are looking for.

Buzzy,

These guys are exactly correct about the regular vs special draw odds. And the only thing ”special” about the tag is the increased price. The season dates are exactly the same etc. I think you made a good choice with Josh; I don’t know him but his reputation is excellent. Hopefully you will get some early weather and find the 360+ that you are looking for.
Still not sure which way to go as I haven’t talk to Josh yet. If he doesn’t give me a call I guess I can’t really be hunting with him.

What I didn’t realize is someone with less points could get drawn over someone with more points for the same unit. I would think that they would circle back around and give tags to the folks who put in for the special before going to the folks that have less points. That to me doesn’t seem right that someone with less points is drawing that unit over someone who has more points and put in for that same unit and they didn’t get drawn even after putting in for the special draw. Learned something new today and if I do put in will it be regular or special ?

Buzzy,

Sorry. I guess I responded to the post from Paradox. I drew 59-1 in 2020 with maximum points in the regular draw. There was 1 tag available in the regular preference point draw and 1 tag available in the special preference point draw. There were 7 applicants in the regular and 7 in the special with maximum preference points; so the odds of drawing were exactly the same In 2020. But as CaHunter stated in his earlier post, the odds can change from year to year. Best of luck.

Most years the special price will give you slightly better odds over the regular, but as has already been posted it all depends on how many apply in which pool in any given year.
Not returning phone calls is a common complaint against a lot of the young high demand guides. Organizational and business skills are normally not their strong points?.
But when you get on the mountain is when they shine.

I'm sure he don't have many unfilled tags. We went 3 out of 4 on my hunt on 320-330 bulls .
No doubt the late hunt is even better odds and bigger bulls.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom