Wyoming Elk Unit 59 rifle. Early or Migration?

Even with max pts, there's a very low chance of drawing the late (migration) tag. Way better chance at a big bull going late, hence the low odds. The general (early) tag has good hunting. If you have max pts, don't think I'd blow it on a general tag though. I've hunted the unit multiple times as a resident, but not with an outfitter. Boulder Basin Outfitters seem to have a pretty good rep, but others are good too. I know there are several outfits way up the south fork of the Shoshone. Can't remember who owns them now. Lots of griz!

Do you have max points? If you don’t, 59 late is not attainable. Only 1 tag in the regular preference point draw and 1 in the special preference point draw.

I've been on the 59 late hunt. it's between 56 and 59 as to which is the best elk hunt in the state. I've also been in there in September and while it would be a decent hunt it's not close to the same class hunt the late is. as PLK said if you don't have max points this discussion is irrelevant.

A friend of mine went last year and he was invited by another friend. They both got good bulls so I’m thinking he must have been on the general tag? Said they did the late rifle hunt, but I’m thinking it was the latest portion of the general season. He isn’t much more than a casual hunter, so getting specific info out of him is hard. Lol.

Apparently the general season takes a lot less points?

The General Tag was 100% draw with 3 preference points. The general rifle season in 59 was October 1-21, 2020.

How many preference points do you have?

In that case 59 late, or any of the best hunts are out of your reach. I saw plenty of bulls in 59 earlier on while sheep hunting but they were all back in the wilderness area so that's a problem if you want to go DIY.

There are a lot of grizzlies in 59 and surrounding units. I wouldn’t recommend venturing into that country without some serious preparation and protection.

As a NR , I have hunted in 59 a few times during the general season. I always hunted with JJ when he had the Needle Creek camp. I'm not sure who has that camp now. The 1st week of season is normally a solid hunt, the 3rd week can be either great or a bust just depending on weather. I had a bull taken away by a grizz once when he got to it before I could so pay attention to that.

Pretty sure Justin Jarretts outfit was purchased by Joe Poteat and his business is South Fork Outfitters, LLC. His website is www.southforkoutfitters.net. I drew the late season tag in 59 this year and after talking with Joe and also talking with Carl Sauerwein of Boulder Basin Outfitters, I decided to go with Carl and I had a great hunt. I would highly recommend Carl. We saw 2 grizzly bears.

I don't have a son. I'm not dead either.

I think Carl is a good outfitter I just don't like him personally. he pulled some crap while I was in there that soured me on him permanently. I don't know Joe but that's who I'd use if I had the tag.

Pretty sure Justin Jarretts outfit was purchased by Joe Poteat and his business is South Fork Outfitters, LLC. His website is www.southforkoutfitters.net. I drew the late season tag in 59 this year and after talking with Joe and also talking with Carl Sauerwein of Boulder Basin Outfitters, I decided to go with Carl and I had a great hunt. I would highly recommend Carl. We saw 2 grizzly bears.
Congrats. Let’s hear the story and see a few pics. Thanks

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom