Wyoming Elk- What to Do?

elkhunterUT

Very Active Member
I have 5 Non-Resident Elk preference points and my Dad has 0 going into the draw this year. My Dad and brother hunted a lesser limited quota unit last year and my brother killed a smaller 5x6 bull on the archery hunt and my Dad killed a spike later on the rifle hunt after several decent opportunities on branch antlered bulls during the bowhunt.

I am considering putting back in with my Dad for this same unit and hunting both archery and rifle hunts to try and get my Dad a nice branch antlered bull, assuming we can draw with our points averaged out to 2.5 (which is possible but borderline based on what happened last year). Here's the deal though, my Dad has had the curse from hell when it comes to branch antlered bulls and while he has taken many cows and spikes, he has not been able to kill a nice mature bull. He is getting up there in age (66 this January) and I really want him to have a great hunt with a solid chance of killing a mature bull. Because of this, I am considering the possibility of doing a guided hunt. I have done some research and been impressed with Bob Sundeen's Trails West Outfitters hunt in the Shoshone Wilderness.

What are your thoughts on Trails West Outfitters and does anybody have any other recommendations to check on for a good guided hunt in Wyoming for a 320-350 class bull that we could draw for sure with 2.5 points?

Should I bag the guided idea and put in for the unit we learned last year and hope we can break the curse for my Dad?

Would love any suggestions and help anyone might be willing to share. PM would be fine. I would be happy to return the favor with Utah elk and deer information for the units we know well.

I think your dad Would appreciate the guided hunt, unless it goes sideways, then he'll feel bad you spent the money. I would research hard and see about extra days if needed.
Nothing wrong with the satisfaction of diy either.

With the knowledge gained last fall plus the whole sharing with your bro and your Dad, maybe go for it again this year.

If ya went guided---no quarentee of harvesting anything bigger than you 3 could harvest DIWF (Do It With Family)......let us be honest here---the Doyle Clan sure knows how to hunt elk! and ya get to use your Jungle Hamocks again!

Robb

P.S. maybe get with Justin Richins and see about a tresspass fee non-guided?? for one of his properties and go for that unit instead?

Thanks Robb - some of the best sleep I got this past year was on that hunt in my hammock :)

I am leaning towards going back to the same unit from last year, especially because we don't have enought points to draw some of the units I was looking at for a guided hunt.

Hopefully we can break the big bull curse for my Dad this year!!

Your'e choice of booking with Trails West is a good one,if your'e dad has never shot a branched bull, this is almost a guaranteed hunt. The problem is you'l need 5-points to draw.

Unit 7 If your going to guide Look at wagon Hound Land and Livestock out of Douglas. You can draw 2ith the points you have. It is a private ranch 100,000 plus acres Good mature bulls on it I have been on it for years. and have hunted the bordering properties \. Very good bulls on it they do a good job

I'm thinking that this year might take a bit more in points than you might figure as points some only applicants will try to beat the price increase.

+1 EF

I would not be surprised to see the Gen elk go to 1.3---1.5 average pts to draw in the 100% pool.

No doubt the Pricey Fee odds will take a nose dive as many will pay it to try and draw before the $$$$ increase for 2014.

Robb

Robb,
We went with the same unit my Dad and Brother hunted last year. Hopefully we draw! Good luck to you as well!

It kinda sounds like you need to hunt a better unit... Your brother got a smaller 5x6 and your dad ended up with a spike... And you want to go back there..? Using your 5 points..? While 5 might not be a lot, I'd think you would want a better chance at better bulls in the near future. You can't go even a couple years without hunting elk..? It just seems if your dad wants a mature bull, you may need to hunt elsewhere

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Rage,
Thanks for your concern, but I think we will be just fine. We based our decision to go back to the same unit on the fact that we saw and had opportunities on several really good mature bulls during the bowhunt last year and feel fairly confident we can get back into the elk to get it done this year. I said "smaller" 5x6 bull on my brother's bull because it was smaller than several other nice bulls he has previously taken with his bow. It was a nice mature bull and one most guys would not pass with a bow.

Some of the other options we were looking at (guided hunts and other units) were not possible with the points we have together on a party app. I have 5 points but my Dad has 0. All in all, our decision to go DIY on a unit we already know gives us the option to hunt more overall (archery and rifle hunts), and we know there are good bulls to be had on this "lesser" unit (lesser according to Eastman's Journal and Huntin Fool).

At the end of the day it is about the experience for us anyway. I would love to see my Dad finally kill a mature bull this year, but if he doesn't, we will still have the adventure of backpacking in to a beautiful area and chasing bugling bulls in September - memories to last a lifetime. I know my Dad feels the same way, so it is a win-win situation no matter the outcome.

You said "can't you go even a couple years without hunting elk?" The answer to that question is a definitive NO!! ;-)

Good luck hunting this year - I know we will enjoy it!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom