Wyoming elk

Willys

Nonresident with 12 points! Wanting to burn them for 2021. What units are there worth cashing in my points on for elk? Thanks for the info!

By law you can't hunt the best wilderness without a guide . so that's limiting. that doesn't mean you have to road hunt but it's a bigger deal in some areas than others.

I'm in the same boat as you and I don't know what to tell you, going DIY makes it even tougher.

what are your expectations ?

24, 22 could be good. 16 but I doubt you can get the tag. If you are a die hard archery guy there are a few options. If grizz don't scare you look at 61, 62, 63. Wyo fish and game website draw odds will be your best friend. Decide what style of hunting and expectations and I bet more people will chime in if you know a little more of what you want.

I hunted 24 this year if you're interested. You'll find bigger bulls in the wilderness areas I'm sure but I had a great hunt. No grizz if thats an issue.

I hunted 24 this year if you're interested. You'll find bigger bulls in the wilderness areas I'm sure but I had a great hunt. No grizz if thats an issue.
I’ve considering 24. I’ve heard there is quite a few roads on the unit! Is there a way to backpack in and get away from everything? What quality of bulls was you getting into?

Not going to find anywhere worth while backpacking in 24. Not a huge area and roads criss cross the entire unit. Would be a fun hunt for 320-330 type bulls with the possibility of finding something bigger.

Lots of roads. Backpacking in would not be necessary. We did find some spots where people were afraid to go into and found some really good hunting. A lot of the hunters seemed to drive the roads blowing the party whistle trying to find them. If your looking for huge bulls it's probably not your hunt. We had a great time!

Lots of roads. Backpacking in would not be necessary. We did find some spots where people were afraid to go into and found some really good hunting. A lot of the hunters seemed to drive the roads blowing the party whistle trying to find them. If your looking for huge bulls it's probably not your hunt. We had a great time!
Thank you for the information! Maybe I should hold out for a few more year and see if I could draw unit 22!

Why were people afraid to go in to these spots?

Doesn’t have to be a long ways from the road either. Any terrain that presents a little bit of difficulty will usually dissuade people on these types of hunts. And if the hike starts out downhill, forget about it. That’s why these hunts are so popular. It’s not because you can find a huge bull. It’s because you can kill one close to the pickup.

Doesn’t have to be a long ways from the road either. Any terrain that presents a little bit of difficulty will usually dissuade people on these types of hunts. And if the hike starts out downhill, forget about it. That’s why these hunts are so popular. It’s not because you can find a huge bull. It’s because you can kill one close to the pickup.
That makes sense!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom