Wyoming Guide Dead

Sucks. Badly.

Good thing hunters don't act like lefties or we could send a certain photographer in Jackson a big thanks for saving a Grizz.

From the party of HUNTIN, FISHIN, PUBLIC LAND.

>>I'm glad they stopped the grizzly
>>hunt, those poor grizz are
>>just cuddly little fur balls...
>>
>>
>>
>>https://www.ksl.com/article/46391606/wyoming-guide-dead-after-bear-attack-florida-hunter-hurt
>
>
>What would the hunt have done
>to prevent this? mtmuley

Well mtmuley, maybe, just maybe that grizz would have had a slight fear of humans... I know I'm grasping at straws, but it pisses me off when tree the hugging mentality out weighs conservation...
That's all, now you can light me up...

Not gonna light anybody up. I also don't buy in to the "if we hunt them they will be scared" mentality. I don't hunt griz country often, they aren't here in my area YET. That thinking opposes the "dinner bell" theory anyway. My prayers to his family. mtmuley

And more important is a good man, father and husband is dead... And his client has a gruesome picture etched in his head for life...

From what I have gathered about the area the grizz have no fear of humans. Hunting would push the bears to keep their distance.

>From what I have gathered about
>the area the grizz have
>no fear of humans. Hunting
>would push the bears to
>keep their distance.

SMFH. Wow. mtmuley

Don't get me wrong I think we are way overdue in culling the bear population. But I find it hard to believe that killing a handful of bear a year is going to cause them to fear humans.

>>From what I have gathered about
>>the area the grizz have
>>no fear of humans. Hunting
>>would push the bears to
>>keep their distance.
>
>
>SMFH. Wow. mtmuley

?Not gonna light anybody up.?

Well that didn't last long...

LAST EDITED ON Sep-16-18 AT 06:45PM (MST)[p]Didn't "light" him up there Tikka. Carry on boy. Where do you live? mtmuley

Wow what exactly? Ever noticed how deer and elk are much less wary of humans in areas where they aren't hunted? Swing into gardner Montana or Zion national park sometime and observe animal behavior when they aren't hunted.

>LAST EDITED ON Sep-16-18
>AT 06:45?PM (MST)

>
>Didn't "light" him up there Tikka.
>Carry on boy. Where do
>you live? mtmuley

I live in Utah mtmuley, I'm guessing I have no opinion or say in the grizzly and wolf conservation Dad?

>Well, does the bear involved count
>as the one sow aloud
>so hunt is officially over???
>

The hunt that never was, is now over? :D

The one sow is dead and there wasn't even a tag issued. So instead of generating revenue from a bear hunt for the state, they spent money to kill bears. Seems logical huh?

"allowed"

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I'd be interested to hear the story as to how that all went down? Not to make light of the guide or his client, as my prayers are with his family and the hunter, but to understand how they let the bears attack them.

I was hunting in Montana opening weekend. Heard six gun shots in close vicinity of me and my buddy. We were like "what the hey"? About 30 or 40 seconds later a yearling grizzly comes hauling straight at us. It slammed on the brakes at 18 yards as I jacked in a round on my pistol. My buddy already had one locked and loaded in his 10mm and his laser on the bear. When I poked my head out from around the tree to take aim he bolted so fast, like I've never seen anything move in the woods in all my life.

From my experience, you better be locked and loaded and practiced at how to quick draw. Those things move faster than anything I've ever seen. It would appear from stories like these guys that you have fewer than seconds to save your lives when they want in.

Cheers, Pete

>Well, does the bear involved count
>as the one sow aloud
>so hunt is officially over???
>

The sow and cub that were killed in relation to this incident were two of the 40 or so grizzlies that have died, one way or another, in 2018 so far in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem (GYE). Grizzly bear mortalities so far in 2018 in the GYE are about 90% higher than this time a year ago.

While more grizzlies have died this year than last year, it is not uncommon to have 20-30 bear mortalities a year when all causes of death are considered.

So, I am not sure the death of this sow would have any effect on the hunt. But, there will be some that will scream loudly that is should.

ClearCreek

LAST EDITED ON Sep-17-18 AT 09:23AM (MST)[p]I was in Yellowstone this last week and the deer and elk you could ALMOST pet. 30-40 people sat on the road and took pictures of a Grizzly bear in a meadow and he did pay us much mind so I got to say if he had been shot at he wouldn't be hanging around with all the noise that people was making.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Thoughts and prayers to Uptain's family. 5 kids, that's horrible.

but am I the only one to find the story strange?

"Chubon reportedly was able to toss a handgun to Uptain before he ran from the attack scene"

WTF??? why didn't he just hand the gun to Uptain? Unless Uptain was being attacked when the client tossed him the gun, if that's the case what good would that do and why didn't the client just start shooting the bear??

I know, initial reports said something about a safe shooting lane. So then where was his bear spray????

"Chubon, a Florida resident, was injured and flown to St. John?s Medical Center in Jackson on Friday, but was in good enough condition to have caught a flight out of the valley Saturday afternoon."

Then the client catches a plane out of town asap?????
WTF??? He didn't even stick around to find out if his guide was alive or dead?!?!?!?!

I don't know, I've never been in a client guide relationship but I would like to think that I would care about him enough to stick around and find out if he was alive or not. I'm guessing Uptain didn't get a tip.

The unarmed backpacker that was attacked last Sunday, his buddies just didn't toss him a can of bear spray and take off running.

Lots of opinions and I have one too but my opinion doesn't matter at a time like this or help bring the man back.

Thoughts and prayers go out to the family and close friends. This is a real tragedy on many levels!

Zeke

#livelikezac

As a side note, my wife's family history says that her grandfather, John Ford, who was a Government hunter in Mendocino County, CA., shot and killed the last known Grizzly Bear in Mendocino County in 1922. It was killing cattle so he hunted it down. The hide hung in a bar in Willits, CA for many years. Nobody has been injured or killed by a Grizzly in Mendocino since. Just sayin.

Zeke has it right. This is no time for opinions and the usual nonsense on this boards. This is a tragedy. A wife and children are without a husband and father. This could happen to anyone who recreates in NW Wyoming.

I have lived in the heart of the grizzly bear country in NW Wyoming for many years. I have a neighbor who lives just minutes away who discovered a fresh pile of griz crap on her lawn yesterday. It was full of feed corn. There is a grizzly bear hanging around Cody that G&F are trying to capture. It was seen behind the Dairy Queen. Yesterday, I was hiking alone in a wilderness area that I have seen 8 grizzly bears in over the years.

On these boards, I have often shared my knowledge of how to be as safe as possible recreating in this part of bear country. Vigilance is the greatest tool to protect yourself. That being said, you can do everything right and still get injured or killed. That is my only opinion on the subject.

I have looked at this man's Go Fund Me page. I was not surprised by the outpouring of support for his family. I was stunned by some of the insensitive comments made by others.

just sayin...mh

>Zeke has it right. This is
>no time for opinions and
>the usual nonsense on this
>boards. This is a tragedy.
>A wife and children are
>without a husband and father.
>This could happen to anyone
>who recreates in NW Wyoming.
>
>
>I have lived in the heart
>of the grizzly bear country
>in NW Wyoming for many
>years. I have a neighbor
>who lives just minutes away
>who discovered a fresh pile
>of griz crap on her
>lawn yesterday. It was full
>of feed corn. There is
>a grizzly bear hanging around
>Cody that G&F are trying
>to capture. It was seen
>behind the Dairy Queen. Yesterday,
>I was hiking alone in
>a wilderness area that I
>have seen 8 grizzly bears
>in over the years.
>
>On these boards, I have often
>shared my knowledge of how
>to be as safe as
>possible recreating in this part
>of bear country. Vigilance is
>the greatest tool to protect
>yourself. That being said, you
>can do everything right and
>still get injured or killed.
>That is my only opinion
>on the subject.
>
>I have looked at this man's
>Go Fund Me page. I
>was not surprised by the
>outpouring of support for his
>family. I was stunned by
>some of the insensitive comments
>made by others.
>
>just sayin...mh

+100

I don't feel that a lot of ppl feel the gravity of such a tragedy. Or they do and choose to deflect it with humor. Everybody deals with things in their own way and there is such a thing as gallows humor. This whole situation sucks and I hate to think of a family losing their father in anyway. I hate to see this thread die out in such a way that the next one just says "show me your trailer"...
Not that anyone should dwell on this forever, but I don't think any of the humor here comes from a place of malace or ill intent. It's just ppl thousands of miles away with no connection to the departed being asses...

Hunted close to mightyhunter?s location about 9 years ago. It was my groups first trip out west. We were young and dumb and didn't take any bear precautions in camp. We kept food in camp and one guy spilt a bag of trail mix right at the entrance of his tent. On about day two we received a visit from a warden while we were out hunting. He cleaned up our camp and took our food. We retrieved our food and a citation from the ranger station.

At the time we didn't realize the severity of our mistake. But now with a few more years of age under our belts, we realize that was a incredibly dangerous situation. We easily could have had a grizz raid our camp and maul us! That drainage could have been re named, dead gringo creek.

As many have said, it could happen to any of us. I feel terrible for the family, especially his children.

The story is pretty clear. They had been processing the elk when the bear arrived on scene. According to the survivor the sow went straight at the guide. The guide had his handgun with his pack a few feet away. The client tossed the gun to the guide. As he did the sow turned towards him for a second then went back to the guide. The client went up the hill on horse with injuries to call 911 while the guide was fighting for his life. It appears the guide was able to regain his feet at one point and even deployed his bear spray, but the sow still killed him. The one report said the sow never even hesitated went straight on the attack.

The elk had not been eaten so it was not a food issue...

Very well written article. Man, what a tragedy..... Sounds like the hunter gave the guide the best chance of survival by riding the horse to make a phone call. If the bear spray or gun worked the guide would have made it. Sad!

You guys have more time with em than I ever hope to have. But does a 10yr old sow grizz really only weigh 250lbs?

#livelikezac

DW,
The sows aren't all that big. It isn't uncommon for them to have a 1 1/2 year old cub running with them. A few years ago, I had a run in with a sow and 1 1/2 year old cub during deer season. The difference in size between them was minimal. The cub was actually acting more pissy than the sow. It took about 30 minutes for me to run them off as the cub kept bluff charging and posturing.

This Summer I ran into two fellows from G&F who were trapping grizzly bears in Sunlight/Crandall. One of them told me that the bears they were trapping were undersized compared to their actual ages. This may be a sign that there are just too many of them for the area.

just sayin...mh

hey mh

Could you give us all a little insight as to how you held them at bay for 30 minutes. It could be useful information and help a fellow hunter in the future.
Thanks

>hey mh
>
>Could you give us all a
>little insight as to how
>you held them at bay
>for 30 minutes. It could
>be useful information and help
>a fellow hunter in the
>future.
>Thanks

I'm guessing there was some prayer involved?

>>hey mh
>>
>>Could you give us all a
>>little insight as to how
>>you held them at bay
>>for 30 minutes. It could
>>be useful information and help
>>a fellow hunter in the
>>future.
>>Thanks
>
>I'm guessing there was some prayer
>involved?

Yes, and if it were me there would need to be a changing of some britches...

>The sows aren't all that big.
>It isn't uncommon for them
>to have a 1 1/2
>year old cub running with
>them. A few years ago,
>I had a run in
>with a sow and 1
>1/2 year old cub during
>deer season. The difference in
>size between them was minimal.

True.

We were hunkered in the timber on Sunday with a sow and two cubs turning logs 60 yards in front of us. The cubs were close enough in size to mama that it was hard to tell which was which unless they were standing by each other.

Grizzly

-----------------------------------------
"This is a classic case of a handful of greedy fly fishermen getting too greedy." -Don Peay, Founder of SFW, as told to KUTV

"It's time to revisit the widely accepted principle in the United States and Canada that game is a public resource."
-Don Peay, Founder of SFW, as quoted in Anchorage Daily News

>DW,
>The sows aren't all that big.
>It isn't uncommon for them
>to have a 1 1/2
>year old cub running with
>them. A few years ago,
>I had a run in
>with a sow and 1
>1/2 year old cub during
>deer season. The difference in
>size between them was minimal.
>The cub was actually acting
>more pissy than the sow.
>It took about 30 minutes
>for me to run them
>off as the cub kept
>bluff charging and posturing.
>
>This Summer I ran into two
>fellows from G&F who were
>trapping grizzly bears in Sunlight/Crandall.
>One of them told me
>that the bears they were
>trapping were undersized compared to
>their actual ages. This may
>be a sign that there
>are just too many of
>them for the area.
>
>just sayin...mh

Thanx MH, I had no idea. I just assumed a 10yr old grizz would be north of 500lbs no matter what it had between its legs. Not that I'd want even a little piece of 250lbs of pissed off grizzly!

#livelikezac

Tikka,

It happened on a tributary to the North Fork of the Shoshone. I was in about 5 miles. I had taken a shot at a nice muley across a canyon. I went to check on the shot. I got about 100 ft. from where the buck had been standing when I had taken my shot. Above me on the hillside, two grizzly bears came running at me out of the timber. I refer to this gulch as Grizzly Gulch as bears in this area are no surprise. They also have a tendency to come to gunshots. This was early in November. By the way, I did not hit the buck. The outcome may have been different if he was down.

The slightly smaller bear was in front of the sow. He was more threatening than the sow. She was behind the 1 1/2 year old cub. He was swinging his head back and forth and growling. The first thing I did was stop dead in my tracks. I was facing both bears head on. I had my rifle up, scoped turned down with a shell in the chamber. I could of shot either bear.

The standoff lasted for an eternity.The sow stood up behind the smaller bear a couple of times. That is not an aggressive posture for bears. This caused me to relax just a little bit. After along time of just staring each other down, I started yelling "Hey Bear" very loudly. The whole time my gun was pointed right at the smaller bear. He wasn't very far away. I don't know why it is, but every time I point my rifle at close range on a grizzly they have a tendency to go away. Given the bad eyesight of bears, I don't understand why this seems to work. I think the sow got tired of my yelling and eventually smacked the smaller bear on the back of the head and they ran off around me and up a gully. I was yelling loudly the whole time. They ran right through where a local outfitter had his dudes and horses parked on a migration corridor. Watching them all scramble away from the two bears was worth the price of admission.

The G&F tell people to not yell loudly at a bear. I yell as loudly as I can. I also would never knowingly turn my back on a bear. I also would never advance on a bear. I just stand still or slowly back out and hope I don't trip.

In 2016 during elk and deer season, I ran face to face into a large boar grizzly in the Sunlight backcountry. We were on the same trail. My oldest son was with me. I was carrying spray and my son had his .338 Lapua. I think the bear smelled us but didn't see us. Again, I yelled "Hey Bear" at the top of my lungs. He ran away uphill. I was amazed at how fast he could run without making much noise. We gave him about 15 minutes without moving before we headed down the trail and out of the backcountry.

Your guess is as good as mine about what a grizzly bear will do in these situations. I know that whenever I make a kill, I always drag the animal out into the open to dress it.
The more I have bear incidents, the calmer I seem to be during the encounters. I have said it a million times, the best defense for these bears is vigilance and focus.

Just sayin...mh

good info Mighty,

Yes you really don't know what a grizz will do. You might be able to drag a deer in open country, your not moving an elk. Bottom line, they need to hunt some grizzlies in these areas. Then when they hear a gun shot they won't run in thinking it's a dinner bell.

>good info Mighty,
>
>Yes you really don't know what
>a grizz will do.
>You might be able to
>drag a deer in open
>country, your not moving an
>elk. Bottom line, they need
>to hunt some grizzlies in
>these areas. Then when
>they hear a gun shot
>they won't run in thinking
>it's a dinner bell.

Brown bears get shot with regularity on Kodiak.....and still hear the dinner bell

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom