Wyoming IBEX

nfh

Long Time Member
Some may know but most may not but anyone ever tried hunting IBEX in Wyoming. I know they escaped from the NX Chase bar ranch which is the only legal high fence hunt in Wyoming. they have deer/elk/bison and ibex. From what I understand the ibex and some elk escaped through a broken 20'foot fence and some ibex found a way to climb out. When I use to build powerlines I seen the elk that escaped living out in the boonies but never saw the ibex. just so much country to cover

A buddy mine went over a shot one. He found them very quick and saw over 100. No tag is needed since they are not a natural animal to Wyoming.

So anyone ever try this hunt?

Gps numbers please.......

9626emporor_obama.jpg

ITs no secret in the area. Just outside of sherdian near wyarno. Bad news is a guy needs to know public/private boundaries.

Hard part is finding them. I have been told over 350 exist in the boonies....

A guy can really save some money on a ibex hunt but then again locating them could be a problem.. ITs not steep country its small hills and sage brush.

A link to the ranch they came from but no info on the ibex.
http://www.nxbar.com/

I ran into a herd of them when I was turkey hunting over by Claremont a few years ago. I'm not up on my Ibex but it looked like some good rams in the bunch.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-14 AT 09:20AM (MST)[p]>Wow, first I ever heard about
>this!

And all this time I thought you were the "go to" man for everything that's happening in Wyoming!!! You just burst my bubble Jeff, LOL!

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-14
>AT 09:20?AM (MST)

>
>>Wow, first I ever heard about
>>this!
>
>
>And all this time I thought
>you were the "go to"
>man for everything that's happening
>in Wyoming!!! You just
>burst my bubble Jeff, LOL!
>

Yeah, I did some checking today and apparently it's a secret to the G&F guys around here, also. Let's see your buddy's picture nfh(which still won't prove a thing)

ZIGGER & TOPGUN....guess I should not look at the Wyoming State Road map as to where a town may be located. Then too I guess I will never have BOTH of your names mentioned at the same time...LOL

Got out a GOOD MAP like AAA and yes there is this town out east on road 336 about 9-10 miles, now you happy? Have a good day you two....LOL

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-14 AT 05:04PM (MST)[p]>ZIGGER & TOPGUN....guess I should not
>look at the Wyoming State
>Road map as to where
>a town may be located.
> Then too I guess
>I will never have BOTH
>of your names mentioned at
>the same time...LOL
>
>Got out a GOOD MAP like
>AAA and yes there is
>this town out east on
>road 336 about 9-10 miles,
>now you happy? Have
>a good day you two....LOL
>
>
>Brian
>http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

I had one up on you Kilo, as my best buddy lives on the north side of Sheridan and I'm pretty familiar with the surrounding area on down to Buffalo.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-14 AT 07:24PM (MST)[p]I talked to another guy today. He seen the IBEX but they mostly hand in land lock areas. mostly private surrounding public.

This is no bull crap about the IBEX. I lived over in sherdian for 4 years and heard about the ibex but never really cared a about that animal. Then I grew a interest in the IBEX and all of sudden remembered this herd. I worked with a guy that use to work for the Ranch and he first told me about the IBEX and about how stinky they were. I was 19 and like I said didn't have a interest in them.

I have been contacting a few people over in Sheridan and seems like no hunts them cause they are so hard to find.

>http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1730413
>
>
>
>I typed IBEX in Wyoming on
>google and the first site
>I found I got this
>info.. Every person and site
>has a little bit different
>of info to the story.
> But in the
>end IBEX exist in Wyoming....
>

Well, what's pictured on that link is a Texas ibex, some crossbred goat, not the ibex that is highly sought after. I saw one of those in the Black Hills about 20 yrs ago. Yes, you can kill them on sight. Your stories about 350 of them is internet BS I think.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-24-14 AT 11:03PM (MST)[p]Well if a bunch of ibex escaped and with them reproducing why wouldn't the numbers be able to get that high? With all that private land who knows how many could be hiding.

I am thinking come a slow time during the winter I want to make a drive over the mountain and just see if I can glass them critters up but will most likely glass for hours and have no luck but hey its worth a shot

nfh

I would talk to whoever with G&F does the deer/elk classifying in that country. They will know if these goats exsist out there and I'm sure would be glad to tell you where they are.

Jeff

>nfh
>
>I would talk to whoever with
>G&F does the deer/elk classifying
>in that country. They will
>know if these goats exsist
>out there and I'm sure
>would be glad to tell
>you where they are.
>
>Jeff

Did you ever think of the possibility that they don't want the masses to know the things are there?

>Did you ever think of the
>possibility that they don't want
>the masses to know the
>things are there?

For what reason would that be Mike? You seem to know all things Wyoming...

LAST EDITED ON Nov-25-14 AT 07:43PM (MST)[p]Did you ever think of the
>>possibility that they don't want
>>the masses to know the
>>things are there?
>
>
>For what reason would that be
>Mike? You seem to know
>all things Wyoming...

Shame on you, as that last sentence is not representative of you JM!!! I just offered it up as a possibility that many may not even think about. The G&F Wardens have enough problems trying to cover their huge areas for all the routine stuff. Compound that with letting people know that there is a neat big game animal out there on mostly private lands that doesn't have a closed season and that you don't even need a hunting license for and IMHO it could just add to their already overwhelming responsibilities. At most I would think a person caught on private property without permission shooting one of them would only get a trespass ticket issued. Since they aren't a game animal I dont believe a person would be violating anything else that they could be charged with.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-25-14 AT 08:07PM (MST)[p]>LAST EDITED ON Nov-25-14
>AT 07:43?PM (MST)

>
>
>>>possibility that they don't want
>>>the masses to know the
>>>things are there?
>>
>>
>>For what reason would that be
>>Mike? You seem to know
>>all things Wyoming...
>
>
>Shame on you, as that last
>sentence is not representative of
>you JM!!! I just
>offered it up as a
>possibility that many may not
>even think about. The
>G&F Wardens have enough problems
>trying to cover their huge
>areas for all the routine
>stuff. Compound that with
>letting people know that there
>is a neat big game
>animal out there on mostly
>private lands that doesn't have
>a closed season and that
>you don't even need a
>hunting license for and IMHO
>it could just add to
>their already overwhelming responsibilities.
>At most I would think
>a person caught on private
>property without permission shooting one
>of them would only get
>a trespass ticket issued.
>Since they aren't a game
>animal I dont believe a
>person would be violating anything
>else that they could be
>charged with.

Now Mike! Don't you know I meant that sincerely?

Ok, so there may be some stinky goats running around. They are not real Ibex and I see nfh hasn't posted his friends picture with this prize Ibex. Truth is anyone I know at the G&F hates the idea of ANY exotic animals running around competing with native game. I can assure you these critters would be in trouble if they were out there as G&F just wouldn't ignore them. A few might slip the cracks, but 350? Highly doubt it...

I agree, exotics are not anything the gf wants around. I do know that there is a small number of auodad south of Cheyenne. Have seen 3 good rams from that herd.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-25-14 AT 10:05PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-25-14 AT 09:43?PM (MST)

I will ask my buddy for the picture, he is on the rigs right now so I will see what I can do

As I said before with mile after mile of boonies who knows how many ibex could be roaming around. I started this post to see who else had info on this.

Its all stories im trying to put together. I know the ibex escaped from the ranch and another story I heard today was a guy cut the fence down trying to release some elk but in the end IBEX in Wyoming is a lot to soak in right now

I guess it will always be a mystery of the exact number of them. Since they don't count them who knows. need to find a pilot and do some exploring

As has been mentioned, they are not true ibex. They are a mix of Spanish goat, ibex and probably some other goat. Numbers are no where near 350, probably less than 100. Most of the time they are on private land, but they do wander onto some BLM land. However, most of that BLM land is landlocked and not accessible.

You might have better luck hunting sasquatch in the Bighorns than trying to find one of these exotic goats on public land.

ClearCreek

I agree, exotics are not anything the gf wants around. I do know that there is a small number of auodad south of Cheyenne. Have seen 3 good rams from that herd.
No chance you're willing to divulge the information where these critters are located are you?

I think ZIGGER knows all about them!!?? I've seen them east of Wyarno. Contact the taxidermists in Sheridan and I bet they can tell you more....

All I want to know is why nfh decided to capitalize IBEX every time? Hey nfh how’s the ELK hunting looking this fall? Hopefully a DEER tag is in my future.... ?

Wow, 2014 thread and no IBEX to be seen.
Aoudad wouldn't surprise me near Cheyenne but haven't heard much about them since 2014 either.

All I want to know is why nfh decided to capitalize IBEX every time? Hey nfh how’s the ELK hunting looking this fall? Hopefully a DEER tag is in my future.... ?

Good greif SS any chance to take a jab at someone you are on it. Soooo IBEX,IBEX ,IBEX, IBEX.

To answer on the ELK i will be scouting bulls soon for shed season. Saw a ton of good bulls on my dads late season elk hunt. Some good whitetail sheds been getting picked up.

P.S.
IBEX,ELK,DEER

Good greif SS any chance to take a jab at someone you are on it. Soooo IBEX,IBEX ,IBEX, IBEX.

To answer on the ELK i will be scouting bulls soon for shed season. Saw a ton of good bulls on my dads late season elk hunt. Some good whitetail sheds been getting picked up.

P.S.
IBEX,ELK,DEER
*WHITETAIL

LAST EDITED ON Nov-25-14 AT 08:07PM (MST)[p]>LAST EDITED ON Nov-25-14
>AT 07:43?PM (MST)

>
>
>>>possibility that they don't want
>>>the masses to know the
>>>things are there?
>>
>>
>>For what reason would that be
>>Mike? You seem to know
>>all things Wyoming...
>
>
>Shame on you, as that last
>sentence is not representative of
>you JM!!! I just
>offered it up as a
>possibility that many may not
>even think about. The
>G&F Wardens have enough problems
>trying to cover their huge
>areas for all the routine
>stuff. Compound that with
>letting people know that there
>is a neat big game
>animal out there on mostly
>private lands that doesn't have
>a closed season and that
>you don't even need a
>hunting license for and IMHO
>it could just add to
>their already overwhelming responsibilities.
>At most I would think
>a person caught on private
>property without permission shooting one
>of them would only get
>a trespass ticket issued.
>Since they aren't a game
>animal I dont believe a
>person would be violating anything
>else that they could be
>charged with.

Now Mike! Don't you know I meant that sincerely?

Ok, so there may be some stinky goats running around. They are not real Ibex and I see nfh hasn't posted his friends picture with this prize Ibex. Truth is anyone I know at the G&F hates the idea of ANY exotic animals running around competing with native game. I can assure you these critters would be in trouble if they were out there as G&F just wouldn't ignore them. A few might slip the cracks, but 350? Highly doubt it...
That's how the exotics got started in New Mexico years ago on the White Sands Missile Base

I tried the G&F office down in Cheyenne and the guy I talked to said he didn't know anything about aoudad in the area. Hoping by some miracle BuzzH makes his way back to this 7 year old forum since he said he's seen them haha

I tried the G&F office down in Cheyenne and the guy I talked to said he didn't know anything about aoudad in the area. Hoping by some miracle BuzzH makes his way back to this 7 year old forum since he said he's seen them haha
Texas is south of Cheyenne

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom