Wyoming land owner tag questions

deerhuntr4885

Hello all,
I am thinking of trying to buy some property in WY. I am a non-resident, I know that you have to own at least 160 acres to qualify for landowner tags. I heard that you are eligible for 2 tags per species found on your property. With those tags, can you hunt the state land in the unit or are you limited to your own property?

I hope to be able to hunt the whole unit AND open the property I buy up to everyone to hunt and cross to get to landlocked state land. are the tags limited to your own property or unit wide? I would also like to work with the bio to improve the habitat.

if you know....please respond. no guesses please.
Mike

160 acres and 2000 animal use days on your property to qualify. You can hunt the entire hunt area with a landowners license.

You can hunt public land if you have legal access.

ClearCreek

To calculate animal use days the game warden comes to the property and sets up a test area and counts animal droppings in the area and extrapolates that to the size of the property to determine animal use days.

This method certainly has the potential to be subjective and political. I talked to two guys in Wyoming that had purchased a 160 acre tract together. One of them was a resident and the other a family member nonresident. They didn't get approved for their tags. The person that purchased the 160 acre tract contiguous to theirs got his tags. They thought that person had more political influence in the area than they did.

The Wyoming Game and Fish are very aware that people are buying ranches, subdividing them and trying to get a lot of landowner tags. They are going to look very hard at people trying to get landowner tags for 160 acres.

Potentially a ranch owner could sub divide a 16, 000 acre ranch into a hundred 160 acre tracts and the new owners could ask for 200 tags. The Wyoming Game and Fish isn't going to let that happen.

I don't k how if they count droppings or not bug the gw will come out to look for actual animal usage.
If it is a LQ area they may have to apply in the landowner drawing, not all are guaranteed a license.
Yes the license is good for the entire area and only immediate family or partners in a Corp are eligble.
You would still be a nr landowner .

Landowners tags are BS, I’ve seen people get tags and I’ve never even seen critters on there land, so not sure how they figure animal use days but can’t be that many!!

I don't k how if they count droppings or not bug the gw will come out to look for actual animal usage.
Yes, the qualifying method is five strings of ten circles(transects) and they count dropping piles in each of the fifty circles, unless it's completely obvious that the land qualifies.

160 acres is a tough sell for landowner tags.

Thank you guys for the help. Frankly, I believe in public access to public lands for all of us. I hat that landowners can lock us out. This may give me an opportunity to open up 2 1/2 sections of public land to all of you. If I can pull it off. But for my money to go into it, I would like to have a tag or two. I do not think that is unreasonable.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom