Wyoming madness!

Lukegarrett2002

544A8B7B-9ED8-468C-9980-E673BA4A24F7.jpeg
Well I don’t think I saw a single person there not from Utah so any corona related stuff didn’t effect any one. The opening day was the best Whereas on day two all I could find was boot tracks and dead does. For the most part surprisingly everyone stayed honest law abiding citizens and waited till noon which was complete bull**** and who came up with that should be fired and be kicked in the a$$ on the way out. I had fun though and it looked like I found more horn than most people. Pretty sure there’s a lot of people that go out in March and April and road shed hunt and glass the crap out of the place and go on quick hikes while there at it, it would be nice if the law would catch up to some of those people one day but what can you do.

Every opener i been out the last 9 years is full of old boot/bike tracks. gets a guy pissed they can't police the laws!

I found a cool spot that was covered in deer tracks and crap along with old boot tracks

It was the craziest opener that I have ever seen, but I kind of expected that. My kids are usually not into shed hunting but they have spent more time at home and wanted to go, so that was fun. They were shocked at how may Utah plates they saw so we did a count. We counted over 100 vehicles that were clearly shed hunting, here is our ratio breakdown.
Out of every 10 vehicles.....
5 Utah
3 Wyoming
2 others (mostly Idaho, Montana, and 2/100 from Oregon.
I know it's not scientific, but we thought it was interesting.

To the black Dodge pickup with Utah plates ending in DZ and red rims. When it is clearly marked private and gated, it is private. Buy a damn gps and follow the rules. You suck! But you did make good video.

It was the craziest opener that I have ever seen, but I kind of expected that. My kids are usually not into shed hunting but they have spent more time at home and wanted to go, so that was fun. They were shocked at how may Utah plates they saw so we did a count. We counted over 100 vehicles that were clearly shed hunting, here is our ratio breakdown.
Out of every 10 vehicles.....
5 Utah
3 Wyoming
2 others (mostly Idaho, Montana, and 2/100 from Oregon.
I know it's not scientific, but we thought it was interesting.

To the black Dodge pickup with Utah plates ending in DZ and red rims. When it is clearly marked private and gated, it is private. Buy a damn gps and follow the rules. You suck! But you did make good video.
There is no private land when it comes to shed hunting

One area we hit was covered in motorcycle tracks. Everywhere!! Crazy!
But they saved us some little stuff.
66AC81F9-4EA1-46EB-8700-3535C8EE791B.jpeg

The funny part about shed hunting laws is it only ruined shed hunting for the people that wouldn't have been a problem before the rules were in place. The irresponsible folks that actually are a problem for deer herds are still out seeking sheds and creating problems, when the deer are at there weakest. So all you're gonna see by the opener is boot tracks....

The funny part about shed hunting laws is it only ruined shed hunting for the people that wouldn't have been a problem before the rules were in place. The irresponsible folks that actually are a problem for deer herds are still out seeking sheds and creating problems, when the deer are at there weakest. So all you're gonna see by the opener is boot tracks....
This,Alwayshunting is right on, and now the the responsible shed hunters are at home there are fewer people to report the irresponsible. Shed seasons have a lot in common with gun control laws.

I didn't see very many dead deer at all. Just a handful, if that. Did find one buck from last winter. Didn't bother taking the head, so it's there for someone else.

DSCN3868.JPG

DSCN3867.JPG

Pm me the location founder I will have the game warden check him out for me!
Begin it where the bridge passes over the green,
Take it through the beef a grazin',
Be right when the choice arrives,
Enjoy the dirt and sage for a spell,
Veer left when your path splits,
You're getting warm, as your next drainage is your way,
Travel the bottom on foot or vehicle,
But remain in the bottom when the road parts,
A third mile is all the more,
Your trophy awaits in the ledges and juniper.

I'm not a shed hunter, but am curious what you guys saw as far as winter kill goes? High, low, moderate?
I saw +200 dead deer in the area I went mostly does and shed bucks, almost everywhere I shed hunt I find tons of dead deer and elk and occasionally moose it’s just apart of the winter range

Yeah probably, I almost guarantee I’ve stepped over smaller sheds cause im
walking too fast and not looking down, but that place I was at gets hit pretty hard but there’s no way to know
So you’re looking up? The sheds are on the ground. You must be from Utah....

Hey I hike fast from sun up to sun down and glassing a ton is probably different between me and you but to say the least there’s a ton of dead deer out there
I believe the distance and the glassing. Cannot speak to the winter kill in your area. Yesterday there was a shed hunter in our area that hiked for 16 hours and picked up 8 brown elk sheds. Every shed was spotted with the binoculars first. Two additional sheds were far enough away he had to get out before 11:00 PM. No winter kill spotted, deer or elk.

Last edited:
I hiked probably 13-15 miles all together in a day and a half and i think i saw two dead yearlings that was it

Yeah it definitely depends on we’re your at, I was on a migration corridor that has thousands of deer each year use it and I kind of have an eye for the the dead’s after finding a few big dead heads lately so that doesn’t help on how I found so many

Yeah it definitely depends on we’re your at, I was on a migration corridor that has thousands of deer each year use it and I kind of have an eye for the the dead’s after finding a few big dead heads lately so that doesn’t help on how I found so many
Finds a lot of dead heads AND from Utah. Hmmmmmmm

It’s funny how the still sober worries about what everyone from Utah is doing, yet if founder says something about shed hunting he acts like a little kitten looking for milk

It’s funny how the still sober worries about what everyone from Utah is doing, yet if founder says something about shed hunting he acts like a little kitten looking for milk
You’re the guy who had to cry to founder because my horn is bigger than yours.

Slightly sober!

Finish that last beer and pass out already!

This virtual bar talk isn't healthy for you or the rest of us with common interests!

Looks like you got some great sheds. I've been hunting sheds in WY for just 6 years now, and any year I can pull more than 2 sheds I'm happy. This year was a madhouse. More people than I've seen in all the other years put together probably. We got to our chosen location at 10:30. Watched vehicles arrive for over an hour, and watched some guys out walking before 11am. One guy was carrying a rifle, and had 4 or 5 sheds on his back already at that time. Took my kiddos out looking at exactly 12 noon. (Though maybe my watch was a little fast). We had a great day and I only picked up one two point. My kids found all the good ones.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom